What Zimmer had to say about Micah, Diggs and Gilmore before he was hired

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
What have you been watching concerning Nahshon Wright? He's a pretty good backup CB and contributes immensely in Special Teams.

With a cost of only $1.4 mil in 2024, Cowboys definitely need to keep Nahshon Wright.

If Wright was a good backup, you dont have Gilmore out there with one arm the ENTIRE game clearly compromised with the season on the line.

Like I said, Wright can be your STs bottom depth CB. Nothing more.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not that I'm aware of. I still find it shocking that we gave up anything to move up for Scott. Why?

We're so stupid that we focus on one physical trait such as height when we should be focusing on ability to mirror.
With quinn gone, do you think this changes??

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
All of this means nothing if this team doesn't discover some grit and toughness. Seriously, like a lot of grit.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Several thoughts on our CB situation:
  • We already have two good corners in Diggs and Bland. On a defense with big needs in the front 7, keeping Gilmore or drafting a CB high is not a good idea IMO.
  • We may want to consider keeping Jourdan Lewis if the terms are right. He is underrated IMO.
  • I would cut Nashon Wright. He’s never shown anything beyond occasional ST plays. Guys like that can be found with cheap FAs or Day 3 picks. This team has a bad habit of keeping players too long and Wright is exhibit A.
  • Honestly, compared to DTs, LBs and RBs, CB could be considered at the bottom of our shopping list. We need to use our “All in” resources on the above three positions.
Mostly agree, but I would be careful about assuming Diggs comes back and is the player we remember. That injury seems to be a roll of the dice. Some guys come back a year later like nothing happened and some guys need basically a rehab year. I think you look to bring back either Lewis or Gilly, whichever is cheaper for 2024. On the surface that sounds crazy to think Gilmore might actually be cheaper, but Lewis probably demands a multi year deal at 28 years old whereas Gilmore might have to settle for a 1 year. I was just reading an article that projected a Gilmore contract at 1yr/$8.5M for a $3M cap hit. If that's accurate it seems like a no brainer to me.

visionary

Reaction score
The really interesting part is what he has to say about Diggs. He clearly won't want him gambling on interceptions. He's not going to have as much freedom as he had with Quinn. You wonder how that will work out.
I have been saying this since Diggs first year
Hes good but undisciplined, poor tackler, lacks physicality , plays for stats not for the team
Defense is built on the fundamentals of discipline and tackling and physicality and team play
Im not a fan of players like him
Hopefully Diggs will get in line but i doubt it

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Wright was a good backup, you dont have Gilmore out there with one arm the ENTIRE game clearly compromised with the season on the line.

Like I said, Wright can be your STs bottom depth CB. Nothing more.
And that’s exactly why we need to move on. Finding a backup corner in the draft or an UFA would make more sense because they might have more upside. By now Nashon Wright has shown what he is - a decent STs player. There are lots more like that may be younger and have more upside.

Keeping Wright around because we drafted him is exactly the kind of thinking that has killed this organization for decades.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Gilmore sounds like he wants to come back to Dallas and surely knows he is on the downhill slide of his career. I doubt he is looking to break any banks. If he was reasonable, I'd definitely bring him back.

Rayman70

Reaction score
We dont know if Diggs will be truly 100% day 1. From that standpoint, Zimmer will assuredly want another good cb from the draft or free agency.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I would hope so. We have no LB's and the only starting quality DT we have is Methuselah.
Quite simple for me…..the last few drafts have been turds, so either they make up for it in free agency this year, or it’ll begin to show on the field shortly…if it hasn’t already.

Praxit

Reaction score
The really interesting part is what he has to say about Diggs. He clearly won't want him gambling on interceptions. He's not going to have as much freedom as he had with Quinn. You wonder how that will work out.
..you mean, no more style defense. Cheap tricks and jumping the gun.

Will be nice to seeing this change. I'd rather get the 3 n outs, then gamble Superstar getting his feed.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I'd still draft one i'm sorry
Yeah, but where? Need a starting center and RB. Also need LB, DL and OT. Only have 3 picks prior to the comp. pick at the bottom of the 5th.

Gonna be more than a couple of positions not adequately addressed.