Twitter: Whataburger the official burger of the Cowboys

aria

Reaction score
A family owned Texas burger chain that sold out to a Chicago based company, sounds about right.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You either like Whataburger or you don't, this is not like a new product line unless they're thinking about offering the Starfish Burger. Now, that would be different, crunchy on the outside and God knows what in the middle. Whether to nibble down a part of each leg or chew off an entire leg before proceeding could be the campaign.

"Less filling"
"Tastes great"

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whataburger is like most all other fast food burgers. As you said you like it or you don't. But many are in between also. I like them, but I prefer Braums first, but prefer Whataburger over McDonalds, and Burger King. Wendy's are about he same to me as Whataburger. However whataburger is more convenient and close to get to, for me. But I will go the extra 500 year for jack in the box or Braums. LOl.
Jack in the Box is like Wendy's as well. Plus Jack in the Box have way better commercials. LOL.

I do not eat out fast foods very often, nor any restaurant. I guess people like it, because it is convenient and fast. They prefer that as opposed to going to a restaurant, and spending a few $$$ more, to get a really good hamburger instead. Because it takes time to go in and sit down to eat.

A hamburger and fries meal at Cheddars or a similar restaurant, even Buffalo Wild Wings, is only a few $$$ more than any fast food burger, and so much better.
That's more about preference, which is my point, and not because they're the Official Hamburger. I tried Papa John's once, and not because they were a sponsor, and never had it again, thought it tasted like a pizza for kids like Little Caesar's. I never have done business with any company because they were a sponsor of a sports franchise or the sport itself.

I assume their is a verifiable payoff or these companies wouldn't spend the money but there is also the real value for any company that has an identifiable name, the name says what they do like Whataburger. Top of mind awareness is the name of the game and they pay millions to get there or retain that.

Whataburger's image, the colors and A frame buildings, is so iconic in Texas that when we made a trip up to Northeast OK to visit friends, we saw the familiar image and stopped in for lunch. We were in there and halfway through the meal when we noticed this isn't Whataburger, it was a Walterburger. They had it nailed, the same colors and building and even the same font in the name, just one little alteration and we'd fallen for it.

I can tell you from a career in the ad field, it is a drug to some. And some like it so well, they will convince themselves it works and is responsible for their success. Does McDonald's really need to advertise those burgers? Unless someone was a vegan from birth, they had one and decided whether they were a fan or not. Geico is hooked on the ads and how many pick an insurance company, particularly one with a rep for claims feet dragging, because of a talking lizard? How much business did Aaron Rodgers bring to State Farm?

The Coke/Pepsi ad war was completely unnecessary. Loyalties were declared early on with those that have preference. Same thing with cigarettes and beer unless it was something new. You had your brands if you had preference.

The craziest one of all, and my favorite, is that Tiger Woods tried his getaway in a Cadillac, not in a Buick, one of his major sponsors. Someone was asleep at the wheel because if I am the Ad Director for Buick, Woods is in the ad, black eye and all with the caption and statement "If I'd been driving a Buick, I would have gotten away. Buick, Tiger Woods official getaway car from now on".

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have eaten a ton of Whataburgers at 3:00 am in my lifetime. Even breakfast a few times.
That's when we ate them most of the time because Burger King wouldn't do burgers in the morning and that's just wrong. They changed that after some research into habits.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s enormous publicity and exposure for their brand. Cowboy haters didn’t stop buying Ford pickups, Miller Lite and Dr Pepper.

When promoting an Iconic label more exposure sells. Just look at the Cowboys despite all of our haters.
Jerry will sell literally anything. I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see “The Official Tampon of the Dallas Cowboys”, with Charlotte in the ads.

I’ve seen over the years the official travel agency, official hot dog, official bus company, etc, etc. If someone is willing to pay the price, Jerry will let them be “official”.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's more about preference, which is my point, and not because they're the Official Hamburger. I tried Papa John's once, and not because they were a sponsor, and never had it again, thought it tasted like a pizza for kids like Little Caesar's. I never have done business with any company because they were a sponsor of a sports franchise or the sport itself.

I assume their is a verifiable payoff or these companies wouldn't spend the money but there is also the real value for any company that has an identifiable name, the name says what they do like Whataburger. Top of mind awareness is the name of the game and they pay millions to get there or retain that.

Whataburger's image, the colors and A frame buildings, is so iconic in Texas that when we made a trip up to Northeast OK to visit friends, we saw the familiar image and stopped in for lunch. We were in there and halfway through the meal when we noticed this isn't Whataburger, it was a Walterburger. They had it nailed, the same colors and building and even the same font in the name, just one little alteration and we'd fallen for it.

I can tell you from a career in the ad field, it is a drug to some. And some like it so well, they will convince themselves it works and is responsible for their success. Does McDonald's really need to advertise those burgers? Unless someone was a vegan from birth, they had one and decided whether they were a fan or not. Geico is hooked on the ads and how many pick an insurance company, particularly one with a rep for claims feet dragging, because of a talking lizard? How much business did Aaron Rodgers bring to State Farm?

The Coke/Pepsi ad war was completely unnecessary. Loyalties were declared early on with those that have preference. Same thing with cigarettes and beer unless it was something new. You had your brands if you had preference.

The craziest one of all, and my favorite, is that Tiger Woods tried his getaway in a Cadillac, not in a Buick, one of his major sponsors. Someone was asleep at the wheel because if I am the Ad Director for Buick, Woods is in the ad, black eye and all with the caption and statement "If I'd been driving a Buick, I would have gotten away. Buick, Tiger Woods official getaway car from now on".

Agree.
It is ones perceptions and likes and dislikes. I don't buy or not buy products, insurance or anything else, because of a persons or teams sponsorship.

I had AT&T for over 20 years. I switched a few months ago, actually got on my ex-wife's Sprint plan...why, it saved me $61 a month. AT&T would not work with me to get a lower bill.
I did not care that AT&T was a sponsor by the Cowboys. The service and prices suck anyway.

My mom and my mother in-law were Pepsi Drinkers, as a kid I still liked Coke, and still do, same for my ex-wife, when married and even now, it is coke. Our parents did not influence us. LOL. Though I rarely drink sodas now.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just out of curiosity, what has been the Official Hamburger of the Dallas Cowboys in the past?

Since most people at and above average intelligence realize this is not an endorsement but in return for a promotional and sponsor fee, I wonder the real payoff for any company? Would a fan choose Whataburger over another ff burger that they prefer because they pay the Cowboys?

You either like Whataburger or you don't, this is not like a new product line unless they're thinking about offering the Starfish Burger. Now, that would be different, crunchy on the outside and God knows what in the middle. Whether to nibble down a part of each leg or chew off an entire leg before proceeding could be the campaign.
With Cowboys performance the last 25 years, the “official burger” should have been the “Justaburger”, the small one at Whatabuger. Lol.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are remarkable at 3am!!!!!
Yep, only close were the Belly Bombs from Krystal.

One thing that has always impressed me about Whataburger and I've eaten at probably 30 different ones when I used to travel Texas, DQ's too and they can be special, are the onions. They're perfect, rarely are they too hot and dominate the burger, just the right balance and I have found that in every one of their restaurants.

Which has made me wonder if they use the technique chefs do to "unheat" an onion. After it is cut, soak it in cold water for just a few minutes, drain and put on paper towels to dry and I can tell you this works like a charm as it is that white stuff that comes out when you're cutting an onion that is the culprit.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Is that the place you can get a Quad patty burger or is it the other burger place..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is that the place you can get a Quad patty burger or is it the other burger place..
The triple is the largest I've seen on their menu but they'd probably put as many on there as you're willing to buy.

My love of a burger is not a bunch of meat but the whole package with everything on it and all the different flavors and texture in each bite. And I think anyone that actually puts ham on a hamburger should be executed or at least incarcerated and then executed with that aberration as their last meal.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just for grins...”THE TOP TEN LITTLE KNOWN *OFFICIAL* PRODUCTS OF THE DALLAS COWBOYS”...

10. Jerry Jones...THE official Decision maker of the Dallas Cowboys.
9. Crayola Crayons: the official art crayon of the Dallas Cowboys (featuring Gene Jones in the ads)
8. Grace: The official new word of Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys
7. Jason Garrett: The official whipping boy of the Dallas Cowboys
6. Jimmy Johnson: The official snub of the DCs.
5. The Washington Football Team: The official two wins of every season of the DC.
4. Pre-season games: The official pick pocket of the DCs.
3. Skoal: The official smokeless tobacco of the DCs (Walt Garrison in the ads)
2. Johnny Walker Blue: The official Lifeline of Jerry Jones
1. Spaulding Anderson: The official Successor of the Dallas Cowboys.

:laugh:
Others?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are remarkable at 3am!!!!!

So years ago, when I owned my bar. This was about 12 years ago, this happened. A customer / friend had a bus, the type they use at the airport to take you to parking lots, car rentals.
We called it the party bus of course. So for his birthday, a group went out bar hopping. I did not go, I think I was out of town for work.

So after they were done, and on the way back to finish up at my bar. they wanted food. and stopped in a Whataburger. One of the customers, a big spender.
They went inside to make the order, as most stayed on the bus. So he ordered one of everything on the menu for the entire bus. Though it was not full, maybe 10 to 12 people.
And they did it, made one of everything for all to eat.

He worked for Microsoft at the time. A big shot for what he did. I got a lot of free software from him. :D
He bought many of rounds and tabs for people. A $200 tab was low for him. :laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just for grins...”THE TOP TEN LITTLE KNOWN *OFFICIAL* PRODUCTS OF THE DALLAS COWBOYS”...

10. Jerry Jones...THE official Decision maker of the Dallas Cowboys.
9. Crayola Crayons: the official art crayon of the Dallas Cowboys (featuring Gene Jones in the ads)
8. Grace: The official new word of Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys
7. Jason Garrett: The official whipping boy of the Dallas Cowboys
6. Jimmy Johnson: The official snub of the DCs.
5. The Washington Football Team: The official two wins of every season of the DC.
4. Pre-season games: The official pick pocket of the DCs.
3. Skoal: The official smokeless tobacco of the DCs (Walt Garrison in the ads)
2. Johnny Walker Blue: The official Lifeline of Jerry Jones
1. Spaulding Anderson: The official Successor of the Dallas Cowboys.

Others?

:lmao2:
Spot on!
Especially #2. I do not miss seeing AT&T "Stadjyum" decorated with Crayola. :muttley:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There isn't a Whataburger within 1,000 miles of me.

I tried one, I think it was in Arlington, once. Didn't seem all that special. *ducks and covers*
When I was a kid, there was not a better burger anywhere. Pure beef. Huge. It was that way for years. Been a while since I had one. Not sure if they have changed or not.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry will sell literally anything. I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see “The Official Tampon of the Dallas Cowboys”, with Charlotte in the ads.

I’ve seen over the years the official travel agency, official hot dog, official bus company, etc, etc. If someone is willing to pay the price, Jerry will let them be “official”.
I hear ya but I’m not sure Charlotte would be the right spokesperson for tampons . I think she’s probably about passed that cycle:)

But yea, why not our official burger. Whataburger , a Texas brand , is a perfect fit. Makes total sense.