What's gonna happen at WR?

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I think 5 WRs is likely and 6 if someone gets hurts. They have too many FBs, TEs, and OL to keep 6 WR if all are healthy.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cobb had low production the last couple years in GB..and yes I think he is actually an upgrade. BUT...its better to have some numbers at the position, than NOT. Why not CYA at wr and not soley bank on Cobb regaining his pro bowl form? I think its prudent to keep as many wr's on the active roster as we can afford. LET THE COMPETITION BEGIN. lol..I love it..this may be the best wr group we have had in Dallas in many years. Hurns is another guy I just love...he does many little things that you don't see. Moores offense may well boost his targets.

I agree completely about CYA, but that's part of why I mentioned Pollard. For example, if the team kept Cooper Gallup, Cobb, Wilson, Austin and Hurns, then between Cobb, Austin and Pollard there would be 3 traditional style slot receivers, and Huirns actually has considerable experience in the slot as well. Cooper, Gallup, Wilson and Hurns would cover the other two, with both Cobb and Austin being capable of stepping in if injuries hit. At most I would think a 7th is possible to add a hair more depth, but 8 seems to me to be overkill.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
X - Cooper
Y - Gallup
Z - Cobb

ok, that's 1st string, then what?
Austin, Brown, Davis, Guyton, Hurns, Johnson, Lenoir, Smith, Wilson?

assuming 5 game day WRs ... even 6, who are the other 3?
Note, Pollard can play WR if needed

I hope it will be these guys come game 1

X - Cooper,
Wilson (a natural X)
Y - Gallup,
Guyton (best athlete in the bunch)
Z - Cobb,
Austin / Davis (too much speed to cut)

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/wrs-who-do-you-like.434806/

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if tavon Austin plays the same as last season he will spend most of the season on the bench from have a injury he really didn't contribute much at all last season don't think he will this one either
He is the punt returner until somebody else shows they can do more than just catch punts.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keep 5

Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, and two rookies

With pollard playing the Austin role

Release Austin, hurns, lenoir, brown

PS Wilson, Smith
Tavon Austin, Noah Brown and Jon'Vea Johnson. If they keep 7, I would bet on Reggie Davis because he can take on Austin's role in the future.
I think 5 WRs is likely and 6 if someone gets hurts. They have too many FBs, TEs, and OL to keep 6 WR if all are healthy.
I agree completely about CYA, but that's part of why I mentioned Pollard. For example, if the team kept Cooper Gallup, Cobb, Wilson, Austin and Hurns, then between Cobb, Austin and Pollard there would be 3 traditional style slot receivers, and Huirns actually has considerable experience in the slot as well. Cooper, Gallup, Wilson and Hurns would cover the other two, with both Cobb and Austin being capable of stepping in if injuries hit. At most I would think a 7th is possible to add a hair more depth, but 8 seems to me to be overkill.

Somebody has to beat out Austin as the Punt Returner before they cut Austin.

They carried 7 for the 2nd half of 2018 with Lenoir as the 7th.

I've reviewed some past years and it does not appear that they've ever had 7 on the initial cut to 53.

I would bet heavily that they don't carry 8 at any point in time.

They did have Brown on IR for the first 8 games of 2018. He obviously didn't count against the 53 but they did have 7 under contract at that point.

They cut Deonte Thompson at the initial cuts on Sept 1 and then re-signed him on Sept 3 after they moved Brown to IR (Players must be on the initial 53 before going to IR in order to be eligible to return).

jrumann59

Reaction score

They carried 7 for the 2nd half of 2018 with Lenoir as the 7th.

I've reviewed some past years and it does not appear that they've ever had 7 on the initial cut to 53.

I would bet heavily that they don't carry 8 at any point in time.

They did have Brown on IR for the first 8 games of 2018. He obviously didn't count against the 53 but they did have 7 under contract at that point.

They cut Deonte Thompson at the initial cuts on Sept 1 and then re-signed him on Sept 3 after they moved Brown to IR (Players must be on the initial 53 before going to IR in order to be eligible to return).

Maybe but he cant return punts when he is hurt.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
X - Cooper
Y - Gallup
Z - Cobb

X - Cooper,
Wilson (a natural X)
Y - Gallup,
Z - Cobb,

My guess at this point:
Cooper
Gallup
Cobb
Brown
Wilson
Austin​

Devin Smith - Possible if he stays healthy for all of training camp.

Hurns - Could be cut and re-signed similar to Thompson last year. Might start camp on PUP.

There will be a lot of talk about these but they likely go to the practice squad:
Johnson
Guyton
Davis

Might take Showers spot as the perennial practice squad player:
Lenoir

In regards to the 46 man game day roster, Pollard could cause them to carry 1 less WR than normal.

Kaiser

Reaction score

FWIW, Calvin Watkins posted a roster prediction article with Davis beating out Austin and mentioned him doing PR instead of Austin. I think that is way premature, but maybe Watkins is hearing whispers and trying to jump in front of the train.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe but he cant return punts when he is hurt.

Austin and Beasley were the only players that returned Punts in 2018.

Beasley is gone.

Austin is relatively cheap at 1.75M.

He had 500K guaranteed which means the cost to keep him vs cutting him is 1.25M.

The cost to keep Hurns is 4M. It seems much more likely Austin stays than Hurns.

Pollard was a great Kick Returner in college but was not the Punt Returner (87 KRs for 2616 yards, 2 PR for 11 yards).

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Austin has shown he can flip the field so someone has to be really good to take his spot as a PR.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The cost to keep Hurns is 4M. It seems much more likely Austin stays than Hurns.

IMO Hurns is purely insurance against an injury. He isn't a #1 or a slot guy, but Gallup is better at the Y. And even if he makes the team they would make him take a paycut.

Plus he doesn't seem to fit with what we know of Kellen Moore's offense going to more of a vertical strategy.

The best scenario is that everyone stays healthy, he agrees to a paycut and we get a conditional pick by trading him late in the preseason.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
X - Cooper
Y - Gallup
Z - Cobb

X - Cooper,
Wilson (a natural X)
Y - Gallup,
Z - Cobb,
7 receivers
Cooper
Gallup
Cobb
Hurns
Wilson
Davis
Guyton

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO Hurns is purely insurance against an injury. He isn't a #1 or a slot guy, but Gallup is better at the Y. And even if he makes the team they would make him take a paycut.

Plus he doesn't seem to fit with what we know of Kellen Moore's offense going to more of a vertical strategy.

The best scenario is that everyone stays healthy, he agrees to a paycut and we get a conditional pick by trading him late in the preseason.

I don't know if the Kellen Moore offense is going to be more vertical per se.

More deep attempts: Not certain.

More focus on success when they do go deep: Definitely.
Focus on setting up deep opportunities instead of just randomly calling those plays.
Extensive Attempts in training camp and preseason games.
Repetition with each receiver is critical.​

An issue they've had is the timing between Dak and WRs.
Any delay by the WR after Dak has started his throwing motion will result in overthrows.
Mid-route delays can be caused by stutter steps, side steps, etc.
It is critical that they practice any mid-route moves the WRs will make.
They could use a stopwatch when WRs are practicing without Dak.
Repetition in practice/pre-season needs to be done ad nauseam.
Slot WR
Probably more variation in slot WR routes. Maybe more deep routes.

TE
Maybe more deep(er) routes with Jarwin (see game 16 of 2018).

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Until I see it in TC, theses are my 6.
Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Austin, Hurns, Brown
If they keep 7, I say Deven Smith.

Not buying the Wilson hype until I see more. They seem to like Johnson, and I think Guyton will a one of these TC highlight guys, but will be suited best on the PS along with Johnson.

At least there should be enough with those 9 that will finally push Lenoir off the roster and PS.

I do not see them keeping 2 rookies unless they keep 6 or more likely 7. Hurns and Brown, and Austin, 1 of them may get pushed off, and possibly 2. But as I see it for now, show me in TC for the rookies and for Smith, show me you have overcome your injuries.
I think this is about right, though just based on OTAs, Reggie Davis seems to have a good shot.

To me, Austin and Hurd are competing for one spot - and I think the edge probably goes to Hurns just because he's more of a possession guy, and others have Austin's skillset as a WR.

InTheZone

Reaction score
if any of the young guys look promising they take snaps and possibly the #3 position away from Cobb. And I don't see Hurns making the roster.

Scotman

Reaction score
Davis and Austin will be cuts. Guyton and Johnson will make the 53. Smith...will make the PS. Brown will be an H-BACK TE /wr hybrid.

I think this is the role Brown is playing himself into. If he can, kudos to him. It's a long way from where he started to stick to a roster like this.

Scotman

Reaction score

Hurns is evidently a great guy and the team likes him. But he was a complete non-factor when he had the chance to be. I completely agree he's an insurance policy.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don't know if the Kellen Moore offense is going to be more vertical per se.

No one knows obviously, but there seem to be a lot of signs pointing that way. They swapped out Beasley for Cobb, a slot WR who can get deep. The resigned Austin and all of the WR tryouts like Johnson, Davis and Devin Smith have outstanding speed.

I think the OL getting healthy again would mean more deep passes just on that one factor alone.