News: What's intriguing about Ezekiel Elliott's deal

CCBoy

Reaction score
What's intriguing about Ezekiel Elliott's deal
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...l-tells-cowboys-think-demarco-murray-elite-rb

Brandon George: Listen to this. The interesting thing about this, to me, is everybody is going to go back to DeMarco Murray. In 2014, Murray comes off the best season in Cowboys history and then you let him walk in free agency. The thing was, the franchise was unwilling to offer a contract to Murray that averaged more than $6 million a season. The total guarantee that they were willing to offer DeMarco Murray was $12 million. Now you go into 2016 and you draft a guy fourth overall and you're giving him twice as much in guaranteed money at $25 million and the average for him is over $6 million a year...It's interesting that you let Murray walk and then you go and draft a guy in 2016 and pay him all this money. I still they might have made a mistake with DeMarco Murray in 2014. I don't care how you look at it as far as his age and all the things. But he brought a dynamic to this team and that's what they're really trying to get back to. A pound-it-out ground attack and just really running behind this offensive line. They're trying to get back to it. Maybe this is a way to make up for it by bringing in Ezekiel Elliott.

Jon Machota: I feel like the organization -- whether it's the scouts, coaching staff, whatever -- felt like Ezekiel Elliott is an elite running back. And at the end of the day, they did not feel like DeMarco Murray was an elite running back. Whether they're right or wrong, that's another thing. He obviously set the single-season rushing record for the franchise. [Drafting Elliott] tells you right there that they did not think that [Murray] was some back that you could not replace, because if he was one of those elite backs, they would have not let him go. Not even a year later them making a move like [drafting Elliott], that tells you a lot about what they thought about DeMarco Murray. I'm not saying it's everybody. The whole organization has to agree on a decision like this. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the organization who are like, 'Well we could have just gotten Murray back.' I think as a group, this tells you exactly what they felt about DeMarco Murray. You did touch on going back to 2014, the ground and pound and building off the run, taking the pressure off the defense and obviously that's what the team has talked about so far when we've been around the guys...

Knotamus

Reaction score
Let's get this straight. Demarco signed with the Eagles for 5y 42mil.. That's just under 8.5 mil a year with a boat load of gaurantees at 28 years old. He only had one elite-type season and was originally a third rounder. And Dallas was rumored to have a 5-6 mil contract offer on the table for Murray similar to what Zeke just received. It's a no brainer why Dallas invested in Zeke. Zeke is a First round talent coming out of college, he will be receiving what Dallas had slotted for a top RB, and he will be turning 25 when they activate his fifth year option a half decade from now!

Chew on this, what if we would have signed Murray? More than likely he would have had a down year last year, like the rest of our offense. We would of passed up on Zeke..and by next year, Murray 29, we pass up on the loaded RB class and more than likely don't have enough cap space to start resigning the OL.. Dallas kept Dez and had the future of the OL on thier mind. They made the right choice! Move along!

Last edited:

RoboQB

Reaction score
Ahhh, the awful bore of the offseason... especially this particular stretch... where writers and fans scratch and claw to find something
to debate... no big secret that a 20 year old 1st round rookie holds more value than a 28 year old whose clearly on the downward slide
of his career.... also, Elliott is a better prospect than Murray was..... but let's talk about it for four more months.... lol

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Is it normal to guarantee the whole contract on a rookie deal? It will be interesting to see what Ramsey's deal looks like.

jaybird

Reaction score
Murray fumbled too often and was only healthy during his contract year.

What's never mention with all these hind site evaluators is that Murray is just a little better than average. What did He do last year? Eagles had to have them and now they threw him away. For once the Front office was correct about not over paying for Murray. What has he done for anybody lately? Apparently the great year he had, he was just a recipient of a healthy Romo and a dominant OL.

USMarineVet

Reaction score
Murray also had a knack for running into the backs of his own linemen where Elliott has the vision and quickness to bounce outside or through a narrow hole. Also, he isn't as fumble prone as DeMarco was. It makes perfect sense to pay the younger complete back minus the wear and tear.

SHAMSzy

Reaction score
The Philadelphia Eagles completed a trade that sent running back DeMarco Murray to the Tennessee Titans. The two teams will also exchange fourth-round picks in this year's draft, with the Eagles getting the second pick in the round and the Titans receiving the 15th pick.

Yeah.. we made a HUGE mistake. Franchise killer. Could've moved up 13 spots in the fourth round. :lmao2:

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
blah blah...one is an average back with one very good year under his belt...the other is only getting started...this discussion of comparisons will soon be over once the games begin

J_Allen

Reaction score
What's never mention with all these hind site evaluators is that Murray is just a little better than average. What did He do last year? Eagles had to have them and now they threw him away. For once the Front office was correct about not over paying for Murray. What has he done for anybody lately? Apparently the great year he had, he was just a recipient of a healthy Romo and a dominant OL.

A big factor in the Eagles signing Murray was getting him away from us. And it blew up in their face. He did not fit their offense. He never really had a second gear either.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Murray will never be a top 5 rusher again. He was clearly overrated and regardless of how stupid Randle is he was right about "meat on the bone". Not to mention his fumbles including the key on of our season vs Green Bay.

He's an average back. No more. No less.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing I will say, just because one decision was 'right', doesn't mean that the other decision was too.

Just because they made the right call in not overpaying for Murray doesn't mean that what they've invested in Elliott was brilliant. We all hope it proves to be, but the investment and guarantees are huge, so it needs to be.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I still they might have made a mistake with DeMarco Murray in 2014. I don't care how you look at it as far as his age and all the things.

So he doesn't think it relevant that we would not want to offer much guaranteed money for a RB that was 28, had close to 400 carries, and was slowing down at the end of the year?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
One thing I will say, just because one decision was 'right', doesn't mean that the other decision was too.

Just because they made the right call in not overpaying for Murray doesn't mean that what they've invested in Elliott was brilliant. We all hope it proves to be, but the investment and guarantees are huge, so it needs to be.

It doesn't mean an investment in Ramsey would have been right either. They had to draft someone and give them that same investment.

John813

Reaction score
Overrated but holds the all time rushing record for a single season for the Dallas Cowboys. #1 in yards and yards per game.

Is he elite? No. However, calling him average is laughable. He is/was a very good 1 cut back who had issues staying healthy.

Unless the new coaching staff brings in a ZBS, the Titans ran a man blocking scheme last year. So, not sure how Murray will fare in that setup. Can't do worse than in Chips offense lol. Not to mention their backfield is loaded with recent draft picks as well. Not sure how they plan to distribute the carries.

Emmitt's highest rushing total, 1995, was where he ran 377 times, for 1773 yards(4.7 average) behind a line that had Allen and fumbled 7 times.

Murray in 14 ran it 392 times, 1845 yards(4.7 avg) and fumbled it 6 times.

Murray had 13 fumbles on 934 carries for us, or a fumble once every 71.8 carries. Emmitt fumbled it once every 73.6 carries. Dorsett had a fumble once every 32.8 carries.

The cowboys were smart not to come close to matching the Eagles deal. Both sides made business decisions.
They drafted a back with a higher upside and more tread on the tires. I would take EE over Murray 9 out 10 times for 2016 and building for the future, even with EE not playing 1 down in the NFL yet.
Just don't see the need to devalue what Murray did for else, because he signed with a rival.

conner01

Reaction score
DeMarco Murray is 28 years old and Ezekiel Elliott is 20 years old...

But let's ignore that and say they're the same.

That's so obvious I just don't get why a sports reporter doesn't get it. Murray also had a injury history but the big factor was age.