News: What's intriguing about Ezekiel Elliott's deal

Common Sense

Reaction score
Unless the new coaching staff brings in a ZBS, the Titans ran a man blocking scheme last year. So, not sure how Murray will fare in that setup.

Murray averaged over 5 YPC running behind a mediocre man blocking OL his first 3 years here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You really have no point comparing him to Emmitt. Emmitt was grossly underdrafted and grossly underpaid.

I have every point comparing him to Emmitt. He's this franchise's benchmark.

The only thing you can compare him with is such as in the article which is a valid argument and I have thought about before this article came out. The opportunity cost of not keeping Demarco cost you a top level CB or DT/DE. Was that opportunity cost worth it in the long run. I think that can never be truly determined because we will never know what Demarco could have done these four years but we will know how Ramsey turns out.

To say nothing of the option to sign Lamar Miller in free agency and keep that #4 overall pick to use elsewhere for other needs.

The team had several options and they elected to go this route. We all hope it's the right move and the most productive, but if it isn't, there's plenty of room for criticism.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The only bright spot about letting Murray go was that it led directly to us drafting EE.

The fact that the Eagles sold his contract AND moved up 13 spots in the draft should shut everyone up about his deal being a franchise killer.

If we use the 5th year option and franchise tag, EE's deal should be for 6/44m before he hits FA.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Overrated but holds the all time rushing record for a single season for the Dallas Cowboys. #1 in yards and yards per game.

Is he elite? No. However, calling him average is laughable. He is/was a very good 1 cut back who had issues staying healthy.

Unless the new coaching staff brings in a ZBS, the Titans ran a man blocking scheme last year. So, not sure how Murray will fare in that setup. Can't do worse than in Chips offense lol. Not to mention their backfield is loaded with recent draft picks as well. Not sure how they plan to distribute the carries.

Emmitt's highest rushing total, 1995, was where he ran 377 times, for 1773 yards(4.7 average) behind a line that had Allen and fumbled 7 times.

Murray in 14 ran it 392 times, 1845 yards(4.7 avg) and fumbled it 6 times.

Murray had 13 fumbles on 934 carries for us, or a fumble once every 71.8 carries. Emmitt fumbled it once every 73.6 carries. Dorsett had a fumble once every 32.8 carries.

The cowboys were smart not to come close to matching the Eagles deal. Both sides made business decisions.
They drafted a back with a higher upside and more tread on the tires. I would take EE over Murray 9 out 10 times for 2016 and building for the future, even with EE not playing 1 down in the NFL yet.
Just don't see the need to devalue what Murray did for else, because he signed with a rival.

Great post, says it all.
I am excited to see what EE does this year with cowboys, but also interested to see how
murray does with titans, I think they plan on using the run to help mariotta.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Conversely, you want to say that Elliott or Ramsey were the only two?

OK.

I'm not sure I can answer with any degree of absolute certainty. Given what's already being invested in this offensive line and offense overall, there should be a position where the team should be better able to get away 'on the cheap', and running back should be it.

They paid Murray just $1.4 million to lead the league in rushing by 500 yards. And they paid McFadden about $1.2 million for 1,100 yards.

They followed up those two bargains by using the #4 overall pick and $25 million guaranteed for Elliott. Unless he's putting up 1,500 yards on average, there's no way anyone is spinning this into being a good deal or smart move.

It isnt just about yards and stats, it is about winning games.
If it is 3rd and 1 at the 7 yard line, and ee gets the 1st down, that is only 1 yard,but it could be the difference
between settle for a fg or getting a td.

If he helps dallas win 14 games instead of 10, that puts them in a high seed position for the playoffs,
which they havent had in a while.
EE could keep drives going, less 3 and outs, score more td's , win more games,
That is what is important, not the individual stats or even team stats,

I would like to see him start off with some 100yd + games, just to make defenses be afraid of him,
but that is the only reason,

BoysWin

Reaction score
What's intriguing about Ezekiel Elliott's deal
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...l-tells-cowboys-think-demarco-murray-elite-rb

Brandon George: Listen to this. The interesting thing about this, to me, is everybody is going to go back to DeMarco Murray. In 2014, Murray comes off the best season in Cowboys history and then you let him walk in free agency. The thing was, the franchise was unwilling to offer a contract to Murray that averaged more than $6 million a season. The total guarantee that they were willing to offer DeMarco Murray was $12 million. Now you go into 2016 and you draft a guy fourth overall and you're giving him twice as much in guaranteed money at $25 million and the average for him is over $6 million a year...It's interesting that you let Murray walk and then you go and draft a guy in 2016 and pay him all this money. I still they might have made a mistake with DeMarco Murray in 2014. I don't care how you look at it as far as his age and all the things. But he brought a dynamic to this team and that's what they're really trying to get back to. A pound-it-out ground attack and just really running behind this offensive line. They're trying to get back to it. Maybe this is a way to make up for it by bringing in Ezekiel Elliott.

Jon Machota: I feel like the organization -- whether it's the scouts, coaching staff, whatever -- felt like Ezekiel Elliott is an elite running back. And at the end of the day, they did not feel like DeMarco Murray was an elite running back. Whether they're right or wrong, that's another thing. He obviously set the single-season rushing record for the franchise. [Drafting Elliott] tells you right there that they did not think that [Murray] was some back that you could not replace, because if he was one of those elite backs, they would have not let him go. Not even a year later them making a move like [drafting Elliott], that tells you a lot about what they thought about DeMarco Murray. I'm not saying it's everybody. The whole organization has to agree on a decision like this. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the organization who are like, 'Well we could have just gotten Murray back.' I think as a group, this tells you exactly what they felt about DeMarco Murray. You did touch on going back to 2014, the ground and pound and building off the run, taking the pressure off the defense and obviously that's what the team has talked about so far when we've been around the guys...

DeMarco had 1 good rushing season. All previous seasons, we all *****ed about his poor health, poor vision and fumbles. I am glad JJ held to his principles with DeMarco Murray. We have the better rusher, now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It isnt just about yards and stats, it is about winning games.
If it is 3rd and 1 at the 7 yard line, and ee gets the 1st down, that is only 1 yard,but it could be the difference
between settle for a fg or getting a td.

If he helps dallas win 14 games instead of 10, that puts them in a high seed position for the playoffs,
which they havent had in a while.
EE could keep drives going, less 3 and outs, score more td's , win more games,
That is what is important, not the individual stats or even team stats,

I would like to see him start off with some 100yd + games, just to make defenses be afraid of him,
but that is the only reason,

It's unfair to just one player by wins and losses. It was unfair to Romo and it would be unfair to Elliott.

If he's doing his job and the team loses, it's not his fault. Conversely, if he's not doing his job and the team wins, that is his fault.

When the '90's team was winning championships, Emmitt was putting up huge personal numbers, so should Elliott. In 2014, when the team was winning 12 games, Murray was putting up big personal numbers, so should Elliott.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Murray fumbled too often and was only healthy during his contract year.

And he wasn't even healthy his contract year. He broke his hand and played through it - BECAUSE IT WAS A CONTRACT YEAR! Just like they all do, he coasted the very next year because he had his money.

Brandon George is STUCK ON STUPID! Murray wanted a huge paypay for possibly playing 10 games the next season. he wanted to be paid for 16 games, but everyone in the universe except these dumb writers understood his "cash grab and coast" mentality. Good friggin riddance.

J_Allen

Reaction score
And he wasn't even healthy his contract year. He broke his hand and played through it - BECAUSE IT WAS A CONTRACT YEAR! Just like they all do, he coasted the very next year because he had his money.

Brandon George is STUCK ON STUPID! Murray wanted a huge paypay for possibly playing 10 games the next season. he wanted to be paid for 16 games, but everyone in the universe except these dumb writers understood his "cash grab and coast" mentality. Good friggin riddance.

Exactly. He missed at least 3 games a year then miraculously played in 18 games and led the league in rushing. Yeah, bye.