Whats left for us to do

Cwby41

Reaction score
For this offseason to be a total grade A as far as moves are concerned? I personally think with all we had to do we did a phenomenal job. The few things we have left are;
1) I would like to see us sign a veteran DE Griffin would be my guy. Just to have that Ins for Aldon and Gregory as well as the young DE we have.
2) Good vet swing tackle. Dont want another Chaz Green situation.
3) Dak signed and preferably for 5yrs, dont want to beat this to death he is our QB he is gonna get signed and he is gonna get paid. Just need to put to rest and move on.
Ater those 3 moves I think we are good. Not only will the signing of Griffen help pass rush but our secondary as well. It looks like there are going to be a lot of moving parts in the back end and may take awhile for rookies to adjust and whoever they move to get comfortable in new pos. Plus we get to carry 2 extra players on 55 man roster. What are your thoughts and please dont make this a thread on Dak. Thanks

shabazz

Reaction score
3) Dak will get signed by some team for some amount of money. May not even be this season or with this team.......so I disagree with the 3rd premise....its far from a certainty

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For this offseason to be a total grade A as far as moves are concerned? I personally think with all we had to do we did a phenomenal job. The few things we have left are;
1) I would like to see us sign a veteran DE Griffin would be my guy. Just to have that Ins for Aldon and Gregory as well as the young DE we have.
3) Dak signed and preferably for 5yrs, dont want to beat this to death he is our QB he is gonna get signed and he is gonna get paid. Just need to put to rest and move on.
Ater those 3 moves I think we are good. Not only will the signing of Griffen help pass rush but our secondary as well. It looks like there are going to be a lot of moving parts in the back end and may take awhile for rookies to adjust and whoever they move to get comfortable in new pos. Plus we get to carry 2 extra players on 55 man roster. What are your thoughts and please dont make this a thread on Dak. Thanks

1. I'd love to see Griffen as well. A true RDE to put into the mix. If Smith and/or Gregory are reinstated? Great! You can never have too many lass rush options. If not, it wouldn't be great to have one for sure. And Griffen can play the run as well, so he could actually be your full time guy if need be.
  2. I'd be surprised if they do something there unless someone comes awfully cheap. They have several young options at tackle including Connor Williams, Brandon Knight, and Mitch Hyatt. I'd like to see what the young guys have before I sign someone else.
  3. I expect the Dak deal will get done so I'm not investing more time in it than has been already.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Don't think this team "needs" to do anything. Other than get Dak signed or have him sign the tag.

My thoughts are that we are all set at DE. Don't need to sign Griffin.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
  1. I'd love to see Griffen as well. A true RDE to put into the mix. If Smith and/or Gregory are reinstated? Great! You can never have too many lass rush options. If not, it wouldn't be great to have one for sure. And Griffen can play the run as well, so he could actually be your full time guy if need be.
  2. I'd be surprised if they do something there unless someone comes awfully cheap. They have several young options at tackle including Connor Williams, Brandon Knight, and Mitch Hyatt. I'd like to see what the young guys have before I sign someone else.
  3. I expect the Dak deal will get done so I'm not investing more time in it than has been already.

Gregory, Aldon, Crawford. All set at DE. We need to evaluate Gregory for a long term solution. If Gregory isn't the guy then we know next year it becomes our #1 priority.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not sure they sign another DE. Already a lot on the roster. Swing tackle is already on the roster. Dak....let's just move on. LOL.

The only addition I would like to see is at Safety. Add a reasonably priced vet. Even if it's last minute after cut day.

Agree or possibly a #3 RB. I wouldn't be upset if they signed another TE also.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gregory, Aldon, Crawford. All set at DE. We need to evaluate Gregory for a long term solution. If Gregory isn't the guy then we know next year it becomes our #1 priority.

Crawford SUCKS at RDE and the other two guys still aren't eligible to play, with no guarantees they will be or that they'll stay that way.

NOT "set".

Given all of the one year contracts, I'd say it's a big priority for next season already.

Paradox

Reaction score

This should be first. It's a nightmare when the left tackle goes down. I also remember that playoff game against Minnesota when Smith went down and Romo got chased all day and sacked a bunch, then Favre ran up the score beating us by 30+. Nightmare.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Crawford SUCKS at RDE and the other two guys still aren't eligible to play, with no guarantees they will be or that they'll stay that way.

NOT "set".

Given all of the one year contracts, I'd say it's a big priority for next season already.

Crawford is great against the run on first down at DE. Gregory for sure will be reinstated and I would bet that Aldon does as well. NO reason to think either guy would get suspended again if you have done any kind of research.

Gregory can easily be our future and be an inexpensive option. Could be a home run there.

Signing Griffin will do nothing for next year. Now if Griffin will sign for cheap, no issues. However stunting Gregory makes little sense. Little reason to think Gregory wont be the guy. Only thing holding him back was the pot issues that are no longer there.

Need to find a long term solution, not a one year fix.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That's the tip of the iceberg of what's left to do. This team has to come together to learn the playbook and build rapport with the new coaches and players. They need to have a meaningful training camp that gets the best combination of players on the starting teams... offense, defense and ST.

Section446

Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt to add some more depth to the DL, maybe some competition for Jones at Punter.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crawford is great against the run on first down at DE.

1. Not true
  2. Hardly the best thing you want to say about your starting RDE

Gregory for sure will be reinstated and I would bet that Aldon does as well. NO reason to think either guy would get suspended again if you have done any kind of research.

Don't talk about either of those guys and try to tell anyone else to do 'research'. You first.

Gregory can easily be our future and be an inexpensive option. Could be a home run there.

And he could just as easily never play football again. Kid yourself about it, I'm not getting fooled.

Signing Griffin will do nothing for next year. Now if Griffin will sign for cheap, no issues. However stunting Gregory makes little sense. Little reason to think Gregory wont be the guy. Only thing holding him back was the pot issues that are no longer there.

Gregory stunts Gregory, no one else. You go ahead and pin your hopes on Randy Gregory. I'm done with that.

Need to find a long term solution, not a one year fix.

Which has nothing to do with signing Griffen. They're all under one year deals anyway so it's already a long term need.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Any and all of the things mentioned are possibilities but I would sit tight for now and watch for opportunities too good to pass up like the Dalton situation. There will be solid veteran players become available and if they can be had cheap on a 1 year deal and represent a good likelihood at a comp pick, then I’d jump on it. That is how I would fill out my roster every year.

Reaction score
With Dalton on board I think they're reasonably set for OTAs and TC which hopefully still happens. Hopefully Dak is on-board for the OTAs with his new coach and offensive scheme, he needs all the practice he can get.

J-man

Reaction score
Yeah I would agree MM has done a decent job getting us ready to go.

Griffen has been on my radar too. I think they definitely should bring him or another RDE as a "for sure" body to the mix. The situations around Smith and Gregory are not a sure thing for this team and if the FO doesn't hedge their bets they could get screwed.

I think another S and at least 1 more LB should be brought in.
Dak just needs to be done already.