Whats left for us to do

Cowboyny

Reaction score
For this offseason to be a total grade A as far as moves are concerned? I personally think with all we had to do we did a phenomenal job. The few things we have left are;
1) I would like to see us sign a veteran DE Griffin would be my guy. Just to have that Ins for Aldon and Gregory as well as the young DE we have.
2) Good vet swing tackle. Dont want another Chaz Green situation.
3) Dak signed and preferably for 5yrs, dont want to beat this to death he is our QB he is gonna get signed and he is gonna get paid. Just need to put to rest and move on.
Ater those 3 moves I think we are good. Not only will the signing of Griffen help pass rush but our secondary as well. It looks like there are going to be a lot of moving parts in the back end and may take awhile for rookies to adjust and whoever they move to get comfortable in new pos. Plus we get to carry 2 extra players on 55 man roster. What are your thoughts and please dont make this a thread on Dak. Thanks

There is a lot of unknown about the status of both Gregory/Aldon Smith until we actually see they are reinstated and what rules that they will placed upon them. It's possible Aldon Smith receives a in-season suspension due to past regressions. If Gregory continue to fails tests, will there be any punishment. On top of all this, we have no idea how they both will perform with such long layoffs. Team simply cannot put all their eggs in one basket hoping these two return to form, stay clean and away from trouble. Have to sign a veteran, period!

DanA

Reaction score
There are only two must-dos:
1. Sign Dak to a long-term contract
2. Sign a swing tackle

I don't think you can justify not addressing those two above.

There are some nice to haves:
  • A top pass rusher - Aldon Smith and Gregory are unknown short-term options, Crawford is expensive and there are questions about his ability to play at previous levels.
  • A box safety - If Jaylon is rushing the passer, it'd be nice to have a safety that could step up as a pseudo-linebacker.
  • A second receiving option at TE - If Jarwin goes down, neither of the other two have ever made a meaningful receiving contribution in the NFL or College.
  • Another ST linebacker - Did you see our ST last year, linebackers are the core and it's the same while we also lost our best ST safety (we did add Bell though).
  • Punter competition for Jones - Just look at Chris Jones' 2019 performance and tell me it's not worth considering.
  • A shifty slot receiver (veteran 4th choice) - If we lose one of our WR's it's Cedric Wilson, Devin Smith, or Ventrell Bryant. I don't feel great about that.
I think you can make arguments both for and against addressing these nice to have's. If the right opportunity presents itself I think we should consider them.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Any "swing tackle" who is worth anything probably isn't sitting on his couch waiting for a phone call in May.

I'm bored. Let's see Jerry rescind Dak's tag and watch the fireworks. There aren't a lot of teams to negotiate with at this point and it would force a resolution.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
I look for linebacker depth when the cuts are made , and address the position in the 2021 draft, we have enough draft picks next year.
All 3 of our starters have injury problems.

GMO415

Reaction score
Dak needs to get this new WCO down in his sleep.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For this offseason to be a total grade A as far as moves are concerned? I personally think with all we had to do we did a phenomenal job. The few things we have left are;
1) I would like to see us sign a veteran DE Griffin would be my guy. Just to have that Ins for Aldon and Gregory as well as the young DE we have.
3) Dak signed and preferably for 5yrs, dont want to beat this to death he is our QB he is gonna get signed and he is gonna get paid. Just need to put to rest and move on.
Ater those 3 moves I think we are good. Not only will the signing of Griffen help pass rush but our secondary as well. It looks like there are going to be a lot of moving parts in the back end and may take awhile for rookies to adjust and whoever they move to get comfortable in new pos. Plus we get to carry 2 extra players on 55 man roster. What are your thoughts and please dont make this a thread on Dak. Thanks

I doubt if they sign Griffen unless the cost is way less than I expect.

Swing Tackle is the only reason concern I have about the roster but it's late in the process to find quality veteran that will sign no chance other than injury to start.

reddyuta

Reaction score
backup tackle is a concern,i have no if knight can play at all.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Signing Dak is my main concern. And speaking of that I have a solution for years and it's called incentive. Getting to the NFC championship game or to the Super Bowl gets a 3 year deal, if he doesn't meet those requirements in 3 years, he gets up to 5 years. Sign it up Jerry, and let's go. ;)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are we done at safety? Pardon me for asking. ICYMI, the second safety chosen in the 2017 draft just became a little more available in IND.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/05/colts-to-decline-malik-hookers-option

It’s a surprising decision – Hooker has seven career interceptions in just 34 games played and his would-be 2021 salary wasn’t prohibitive. Hooker, who was the No. 15 overall pick in the 2017 draft, would have cost $6.7MM to cuff for ’21, and that sum would have been guaranteed for injury only.

The Colts waited right until the deadline to render their verdict and it’s a puzzling one. To be fair: Hooker has been hampered by injuries over the years. To be critical, again: He still offers tons of potential and he might just price himself out of Indianapolis with a big prove-it year.

Hooker likely would have been a Top 10 pick three years ago if not for injuries. With concerns about his surgically-repaired sports hernia and a torn labrum, the Colts landed him in the middle of the first round. And, as a rookie, he missed more than half of the season with a torn ACL. He hasn’t met all of his combine week expectations as a pro, but he still has time on his side. The Ohio State product just turned 24 in April and there are plenty of teams who would be happy to have him when he turns 25.

For the right price I'm all over this before another team swoops in and gets him.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

I would like a veteran LB to be added. Not a camp body. A guy that can push the 2 entitled guys that top the depth chart.

DanA

Reaction score
Any "swing tackle" who is worth anything probably isn't sitting on his couch waiting for a phone call in May.

I'm bored. Let's see Jerry rescind Dak's tag and watch the fireworks. There aren't a lot of teams to negotiate with at this point and it would force a resolution.

I think you are wrong. IMO there are 4-5 guys sitting on the couch that I’d consider solid upgrades on Fleming that might struggle to get starting jobs.

Last edited: