What's more important in a football player?

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
i'll take athleticism, every year in the draft there is a guy who "isnt the most athletic guy on the field but has a lot of heart", that guy is never any good in the NFL. I'll take the "freaks" like merriman, kearse and matt jones.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
I'm saying instincts.

Not that I don't believe you about Manny, but do you have the source?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I say instincts - guys with instincts stay around after their bodies get slower.

Now - don't get me wrong, you still have to be an athlete....

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
I'll take instincts.

Fact of the matter is, all these guys are amazing athletes to begin with.

But not all of them have instincts.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
i'll take instincts, every year in the draft there is a guy who "isnt the most instinctive guy on the field but has a lot of athletisism", that guy is never any good in the NFL. I'll take the "naturals" like montana and emmitt

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
jackrussell said:
i'll take instincts, every year in the draft there is a guy who "isnt the most instinctive guy on the field but has a lot of athletisism", that guy is never any good in the NFL. I'll take the "naturals" like montana and emmitt

point taken, maybe a good balance is the best

AmericasTeam

Reaction score
Instincts make you a Football Player. Add in Athleticism and you are an above average player. Athleticism without instincts = a bust.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Depends on the player and the situation. I'd imagine there are many more non-athletic players with instinct that never even see daylight in the NFL than athletic players without instinct.

GoBoys41

Reaction score
You can have all the instincts in the world, if you don't have the physical ability you won't do a whole lot.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
Depends on the player and the situation. I'd imagine there are many more non-athletic players with instinct that never even see daylight in the NFL than athletic players without instinct.

Disagree completely.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack said:
Disagree completely.
I think you're distinguishing between athelitic ability and extreme athletic talent. Name a single player in the NFL that has instincts but little athletic ability.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
HEre's an example...

Do people think Ed Reed is great (not counting '05) more because of his intincts or his athletic ability?

Keep in mind Ed Reed ran the same speed as Roy Williams (Roy did it at the combine, Reed did it at his pro day).

And yes, I know speed is only one example of athletic ability.

Let me put it this way, you can be solid with very little instincts and great athletic ability or vice versa.

But every single great football player (and I'm talking the GREATS) all had good instincts.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
I think you're distinguishing between athelitic ability and extreme athletic talent. Name a single player in the NFL that has instincts but little athletic ability.

I made myself perfectly clear. Don't try and overanalyze it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack said:
I'm not sure that they're ascribing the lack of instinct quote to his coach. Notice the error in quotation marks.
"Manny is a true, natural pass-rush player," Stroud says. "As a linebacker, he struggled as a stand-up player, where he needed to rely on pure instinct. Manny really doesn't have that. "As a defensive lineman, though, with his hand on the ground, Manny is able to use some fundamental principles of football and his natural ability to make big plays."

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack said:
I made myself perfectly clear. Don't try and overanalyze it.
Well that's ridiculous then. Name 3 players in the NFL with instinct but lack athletic talent.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:
I'm not sure that they're ascribing the lack of instinct quote to his coach. Notice the error in quotation marks.

First of all, you need to get out of your defensive position and see this thread for what it is.

I'm not against drafting Lawson. Get that through your head before you go getting all defensive.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack said:
First of all, you need to get out of your defensive position and see this thread for what it is.

I'm not against drafting Lawson. Get that through your head before you go getting all defensive.
I'm not getting defensive. I'm just having conversation. This is a message board after all.