What's the benefit of waiting to sign a kicker?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yeah, kickers aren’t worried about that. They’d rather have a job.
Baseless speculation.

Guys like Robbie Gould know that they're going to get signed, they can pick and choose when.

rambo2

Reaction score
Cool, but it doesn't matter to the point. Maybe he likes to sign early. There's still no reason for kickers to do that, so the idea that the Cowboys haven't signed one is entirely because they are not pursuing kickers is false.
They did sign 1 kicker.

rambo2

Reaction score
Whatever they do at kicker, it will be hard for them to do as well as Maher did last season.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Yeah, kickers aren’t worried about that. They’d rather have a job.
no they'd rather hold out and hope they can name their price in the middle of training camp so they can skip over having to walk to the field and make sure their kicker balls have air in them during camp

EST_1986

Reaction score
Cool, but it doesn't matter to the point. Maybe he likes to sign early. There's still no reason for kickers to do that, so the idea that the Cowboys haven't signed one is entirely because they are not pursuing kickers is false.
Kickers holding out not to attend camp is a silly idea, Dallas probably isn't pursuing any kickers and probably won't until we lose a few games due to their incompetence to pursue one now

shabazz

Reaction score
We've went out and improved this team in many areas, one of the biggest areas of concern are at kicker. It's a position that's been struggling for years now, why are we waiting to sign someone?

Are we trying to let the best man win, work with what we have like we did at WR last year??? I don't get it, it'll take for us to see this current kicker do bad at practice for us to finally sign someone?? Please someone give me your thoughts
This FOs modus operandi is to wait until all the real talent has been taken in free agency and go diving into the dumpster that they cherish so much

offlimits

Reaction score
We've went out and improved this team in many areas, one of the biggest areas of concern are at kicker. It's a position that's been struggling for years now, why are we waiting to sign someone?

Are we trying to let the best man win, work with what we have like we did at WR last year??? I don't get it, it'll take for us to see this current kicker do bad at practice for us to finally sign someone?? Please someone give me your thoughts
There are still tons of UDFA and free agents that will be released available. Basically, sign a guy, with a strong leg that can get the ball into the endzone when you are kicking from midfield. Secondly, find a kid that can kick an extra point. If he can make a 45-yard FG... that's a bonus.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Seems like we must be eyeing a player who will be cut at some point. Either that or the players we are talking to want more than the loose change in Jerry's pocket.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Because the team is going to go with a veteran who is not available yet.

Gould is likely out of their price range. But it 100% will be Nick Folk, Mason Crosby or Brett Maher next season.

My money is on Mason Crosby. Texas kid, drafted by McCarthy and they can sign him for two years at $3-4 million per year. His #s have gone down in the past, but kicking in warm weather will be much easier than kicking in Green Bay come October / November.
They are not going to sign any kicker for $3 million to $4 million per year. They are shopping or will shop in the $1 million to $2 million range. This isn't Stephen's daddy's Cowboys.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys already have a dependable long snapper, right?

Mannix

Reaction score
To not seriously consider Mayer over something that happened over just a TWO week period, is absolutely asinine. Kickers can figure out minor flaws just as fast as professional golfers can....to think that that Mayer cannot figure something out over an entire off season just blows my mind....somebody is going to grab him, and Booger and Chuckles are gonna look like toothless fools....but we will be the ones suffering. They better not end up panicking and sign Crosby, because that would be a COLOSSAL mistake.