Whats the big deal about the Amazon Fire Stick

Kellsbells

Reaction score
I cut the cord back in 2016.
I've been using Roku since 2012. I like the Roku interface, and the Roku remote. It's little things like that, that separate Roku from Firestick and the Apple box.

In 2018, I upgraded to an LG 4K Smart TV. There is some overlap, with Roku, in that the Smart TV allows you to download apps, for things like YouTube, Pluto TV, and other streaming platforms, that are also available through Roku.

But as I stated before, I really like the Roku remote design and functionality for navigation. So, I use my Roku mainly for YouTube (the Free YouTube -- I do not subscribe to YouTube TV service...)

I watch a LOT on YouTube. Music, Documentaries, Current News and Live Breaking News, etc. And YouTube streams in 4K as well.

I have a Roku TV in my office. It integrates the OTA (Over-the Air) channels with the streaming channels I have selected from Pluto TV and other portals.
By integration, I mean that when I go to the Channel Guide, I see what's playing now, for all of those channels, OTA AND streaming channels, in one place.

An important link in all of this is a wi-fi router that can deliver high speeds. I upgraded to a 5G router last year. It has made a real difference when I'm streaming 4K HDR movies from VUDU or Movies Anywhere. My current $K Roku works with 5G (NOT to be confused with 5G cell phones---that's a different thing...).
I don't know why I'm nervous to cut the cord. I've been thinking about it for years, but unable to take the plunge. I guess the fear of the unknown. Hell, I still have a landline phone. Would be nice to save money on phone and cable, but with the triple bundle, I'm not sure how much I'd actually save if I went to internet only.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
No Problem.
I wish Roku would allow VPNs and the other few things.
I like the roku interface a little better than firesticks.
Firestick annoys me if you have a number of apps you want to use as they have one
main line where you see the apps you most use but for the others you have to navigate to another drop down section.
I agree, prefer the Roku interface.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I watch a LOT on YouTube. Music, Documentaries, Current News and Live Breaking News, etc. And YouTube streams in 4K as well.
Same here! In fact, I probably watch more YouTube than any other streaming service. I just love it and it's way too easy to get down a rabbit hole on any particular subject you can think of.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Microsoft Zune.
I still have a Zune. lol It's sitting on a shelf in my closet. Obviously no need for it in this day and age, but I have never really know what else to do with it. I know some people are still paying money for them on eBay and whatnot, but I just have never gotten around to selling it.

I loved the Zune way more than any iPod. It was fantastic.

Kellsbells

Reaction score
I still have a Zune. lol It's sitting on a shelf in my closet. Obviously no need for it in this day and age, but I have never really know what else to do with it. I know some people are still paying money for them on eBay and whatnot, but I just have never gotten around to selling it.

I loved the Zune way more than any iPod. It was fantastic.
The difference is, that many people ARE still using the FireStick, and some people are still actually new to it and may have questions. It's not like it's been replaced with something else that has made them obsolete.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
The difference is, that many people ARE still using the FireStick, and some people are still actually new to it and may have questions. It's not like it's been replaced with something else that has made them obsolete.
:huh:

This comment seems defensive. I was just bringing up that I still actually have a Zune, since somebody mentioned it. I wasn't taking a shot at you or anybody using/asking questions about a Firestick.

Kellsbells

Reaction score
:huh:

This comment seems defensive. I was just bringing up that I still actually have a Zune, since somebody mentioned it. I wasn't taking a shot at you or anybody using/asking questions about a Firestick.
I was more piggybacking off your comment as a reply to the person who questioned a thread about the firestick, asking if this was a thread bumped from 2008.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Microsoft Zune.
tumblr_oy48zdfcAL1rwxpt6o2_500.gif

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I was more piggybacking off your comment as a reply to the person who questioned a thread about the firestick, asking if this was a thread bumped from 2008.
Ah, ok. May have just read that wrong. No worries. :thumbup:

triplets_93

Reaction score
Same here! In fact, I probably watch more YouTube than any other streaming service. I just love it and it's way too easy to get down a rabbit hole on any particular subject you can think of.
The YouTube AI is pretty good about recommending videos based on what you watch.

triplets_93

Reaction score
I don't know why I'm nervous to cut the cord. I've been thinking about it for years, but unable to take the plunge. I guess the fear of the unknown. Hell, I still have a landline phone. Would be nice to save money on phone and cable, but with the triple bundle, I'm not sure how much I'd actually save if I went to internet only.
I use Spectrum Internet. Fios / Frontier is not available at my address.
I subscribe to "Spectrum Internet 100" for $59.99/mo. here in N. Texas.
100 Mbps is plenty of download speed for me and to watch 4K HDR streaming.

That's the regular non-promo price. Spectrum and other services, like Verizon Fios, offer much lower rates for an initial time period of 1-2 years, to new subscribers.

You need to break out of the "Triple-Play" Jail. I haven't had a landline since 2007. My basic non-promo cellphone service is $30/mo.
There are cord-cutting groups on Facebook and on Reddit, as well as web sites, where you can get suggestions and advice as a beginning cord cutter.

I own my own wifi router, and Spectrum gives me the modem to use for free.

Kellsbells

Reaction score
I use Spectrum Internet. Fios / Frontier is not available at my address.
I subscribe to "Spectrum Internet 100" for $59.99/mo. here in N. Texas.
100 Mbps is plenty of download speed for me and to watch 4K HDR streaming.

That's the regular non-promo price. Spectrum and other services, like Verizon Fios, offer much lower rates for an initial time period of 1-2 years, to new subscribers.

You need to break out of the "Triple-Play" Jail. I haven't had a landline since 2007. My basic non-promo cellphone service is $30/mo.
There are cord-cutting groups on Facebook and on Reddit, as well as web sites, where you can get suggestions and advice as a beginning cord cutter.

I own my own wifi router, and Spectrum gives me the modem to use for free.
Thanks for all that info!