What's the ceiling on Gilbert?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
It’s highly unlikely that Gilbert will dress for any games over the remainder of the season unless there is an injury to Dalton or DiNucci.

Being the qb who watches from the sideline in civilian clothes is a familiar role for Gilbert. Always has been.

Carson

Reaction score
It’s highly unlikely that Gilbert will dress for any games over the remainder of the season unless there is an injury to Dalton or DiNucci.

Being the qb who watches from the sideline in civilian clothes is a familiar role for Gilbert. Always has been.

Gilbert has been active while DiNucci has been inactive the previous two

Proof

Reaction score
Kurt Warner was sacking groceries when he got his call, and that turned out pretty well. Even then Warner only got to play due to Trent Green’s injury.

yesh and wasn’t Gilbert the number 1 prospect in the country?

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score

He is the backup QB and will dress for all the remaining games. DiNucci is QB3.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I've watched Gilbert since his days at Texas. He's improved, for sure, but I don't see him as ready to start in the NFL. Perhaps he will get there but today, I don't think so.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I really doubt the Cowboys will throw GG to the trash heap as readily, as some of us seem inclined to.

They've seen the best of him in the game with the Steelers. Whatever happens now is yet to be seen.

Reactions: CWR

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so he looked good against Pittsburgh... do you think he could be a good starter? or has he hit his ceiling as a backup?
You can never...ever...judge a QB on one game. Either way. Once there’s enough game film on a QB, DCs can game plan against their strengths and you find out then how good they really are.

My early guess is Gilbert’s ceiling is probably as a backup. There’s a reason he’s 30 and still available in a league absolutely starving for QB talent.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My belief is the fact Garrett was competitive when almost everyone expected him to be a disaster has created the false perception with some fans that Garrett was better than he was, and has more upside than he does. It was a solid game for a backup, no question, but I think he was more surprising than outstanding, and some people are confusing the two. For me he elevated himself to being a candidate for the #2 spot next year, but I still don't think he has any realistic shot of being thought of as a starter.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
OK backup QB is his ceiling.

I don't know that this is all he'll ever be. I mean, he can learn, he can develop, things can happen. I think that right now, today, that's what he probably is but tomorrow, if Dalton goes down, he's our starter so you just never know.

I'll say this though, Gilbert is, I think 29 now. If he's going to be a starter, he probably needs to hurry up about it.

jrumann59

Reaction score
His ceiling, he might want to wear a hard hat and know a good masseuse for his lower back....

Zman5

Reaction score
Hard to judge from just one game. He did well against a good defense but there have been many QBs who has done the same and most never had same repeat performance.

Even the scrub QBs we had during the Campo/Parcells era did well in a game or two.

He definitely deserves to be brought back next season to compete for a backup position.

T-RO

Reaction score
Gilbert ceiling?

iu-1.jpeg

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
so he looked good against Pittsburgh... do you think he could be a good starter? or has he hit his ceiling as a backup?

He looked good compared to the train wreck we were expecting. He only completed 55% of his passes. He had one TD, an INT and a passer rating of 72.6. Some fans are trying to glorify his performance into a lot more than what it was because expectations were so low. Had Dak put up those numbers there would have been a meltdown on the board. What we saw from Gilbert is about as good as you’re going to get from him.