What's the ceiling on Gilbert?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Gilbert exceeded expectations against the Steelers because there was no film of him. Had he started against Minnesota I'm not convinced the Cowboys' offense would have awakened like it did.

Gilbert has been in the NFL since 2014 so I think it's safe to say his ceiling is as a backup. Perhaps he could improve with more reps but at this point that's just speculation.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Gilbert made his first start in his 7th professional season. DiNucci made his in his 8th game as a rookie. Even Romo didn't make his debut until after 3 years of watching and learning.

Too early to draw any conclusions about DiNucci. The Cowboys had no business throwing him out there.

I agree. I wasn't comparing Gilbert's potential to what DiNucci *could* be, I was comparing it to what DiNuccie showed on the field in his start.

catiii

Reaction score
possibly good QB3 , possibly 6th round trade potential that.
Gilbert is 29 years old and never done squat in this league.. time is out..
Has anyone ever let him play? I honestly don't know. It's tough to do anything if you're warming the bench.

All I know is I saw a bloody good QB playing against the best defense in the NFL.

Without more reps with Dallas, no one can honestly say. A change of team can do miracles as seen by the many people we released and went on to succeed with other teams.

T-RO

Reaction score
Some QBs/football players almost never get a chance...then become stars if they get a chance.

Two HOFers come to mind: Kurt Warner and Steve Largent. Both very nearly never got a chance.

But in all likelihood Gilbert would be exposed w/more playing time.

jnday

Reaction score
so he looked good against Pittsburgh... do you think he could be a good starter? or has he hit his ceiling as a backup?
It seems like that one decent game has erased the fact that he has bounced around the league and has not shown any ability to be a starting QB. If you look at his history, that one game is the exception and not his normal level of play. I think with more playing time, he would be exposed for being the player that has struggled to even make an NFL roster.

jrumann59

Reaction score
He was drafted in 2014 by the rams, he got their practice squad, Rams had Bradford, A. Davis and Shaun Hill at QB. He got cut from their PS and ended up on NE PS for the rest of the year.
2015 signed and released by the Lions. Ended up Raider behind Carr and McGloin and was waived in 2016. He was re-signed to Raiders PS Jan 2017 after McGloin went down, he was to be insurance in case McGloin could not go and would have backed up Connor Cook he was released at the end of the season.
2017 signed with Carolina he was waived agin in training camp 2018 because he could not beat out Taylor Heinicke for the back up job to newton. He re-signed with Carolina in late 2018 when both Cam and Taylor were injured but ended up the back up to Kyle Allen
2019 he signed with the browns saw some action in a blow out loss. He was released in Sept 2020 by the browns.

He had opportunities while note great ones he had a chance

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
so he looked good against Pittsburgh... do you think he could be a good starter? or has he hit his ceiling as a backup?
he has been trying for 7 years. he never made it. he was on the AAF. his ceiling is close to his floor. he is what he is. one game, does not a career make. even jason garrett once had a great thanks giving day game where he threw for over 300 yards....

Praxit

Reaction score
..I bet if GG was released today, he would be on a team tomorrow. Thats a good ceiling.