What's The Current Fan Mandate Status for QB Injuries and Postseason Success?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony Romo Led Teams (2-4 Postseason Record)
Loss: 5th Seeded Wild Card vs 4th Seeded NFC West Champion Seattle Seahawks
Loss: 1st Seeded NFC East Champion vs 5th Seeded Wild Card New York Giants
Win0: 3rd Seeded NFC East Champion vs 6th Seeded Wild Card Philadelphia Eagles
Loss: 3rd Seeded NFC East Champion vs 2nd Seeded NFC North Champion Minnesota Vikings
Win0: 3rd Seeded NFC East Champion vs 6th Seeded Wild Card Detroit Lions
Loss: 3rd Seeded NFC East Champion vs 2nd Seeded NFC North Champion Green Bay Packers

Dak Prescott Led Teams (2-5 Postseason Record)
Loss: 1st Seeded NFC East Champion vs 4th Seeded NFC North Champion Green Bay Packers
Win0: 4th Seeded NFC East Champion vs 5th Seeded Wild Card Seattle Seahawks
Loss: 4th Seeded NFC East Champion vs 2nd Seeded NFC West Los Angeles Rams
Loss: 3rd Seeded NFC East Champion vs 6th Seeded Wild Card San Francisco 49ers
Win0: 5th Seeded Wild Card vs 4th Seeded NFC South Champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Loss: 5th Seeded Wild Card vs 2nd Seeded NFC West Champion San Francisco 49ers
Loss: 2nd Seeded NFC East Champion vs 7th Seeded Wild Card Green Bay Packers

Before 2016, a number of fans called for Romo's replacement due to injuries. "He's gonna be paralyzed for life!" The demand was emphasized with the playoff futility that came with his teams attaining only two wins with four losses.

October 2020 came. Prescott fractured his ankle so severely his foot swiveled at the end of his leg as he held it off the ground. Afterwards, some fans have repeatedly said Prescott is afraid to run for fear his ankle will sustain another injury. The 2022 playoffs ended with Dallas losing to San Francisco and Prescott led teams tied Romo's postseason futility at two wins with four losses. The 2023 postseason concluded with Dallas losing to Green Bay--adding an additional loss to Prescott led teams' playoff futility.

Injuries? Check.

Postseason Win/Loss? Check.

Without a doubt, CowboysZone has produced strong Get Rid of Dak sentiment but it has not reached the Get Rid of Romo intensity yet. Why has this not occurred on the site thus far--two years after Prescott 'equaled' Romo's two most negatively held criteria?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Even with backbreaking playoff losses, the rollercoaster of the season is at least a high level of entertainment value.

Injuries are just a lost season. Pack it up in September/October. You can convince yourself that everything is going to change this year even when it appears you’re setting yourself up for another weird playoff loss, but you can’t do that with a major QB injury; that’s rock bottom.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even with backbreaking playoff losses, the rollercoaster of the season is at least a high level of entertainment value.

Injuries are just a lost season. Pack it up in September/October. You can convince yourself that everything is going to change this year even when it appears you’re setting yourself up for another weird playoff loss, but you can’t do that with a major QB injury; that’s rock bottom.
That is a good viewpoint summary but addresses the OP indirectly. It is quite simple. The prior starting quarterback was deemed replaceable due to injuries and playoff record. A standard was set. The current starting quarterback has equaled and exceeded that standard but the Get Rid Of sentiment has not reached the same level as the one that preceded it. What is the missing variable?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
That is a good viewpoint summary but addresses the OP indirectly. It is quite simple. The prior starting quarterback was deemed replaceable due to injuries and playoff record. A standard was set. The current starting quarterback has equaled and exceeded that standard but the Get Rid Of sentiment has not reached the same level as the one that preceded it. What is the missing variable?
IMO the missing variable is the regular season record over time. Dallas had some fantastic years under Romo, but this team was also 46-50 from 2010-2015. Compare that to three consecutive 12-5 seasons and many are terrified of the idea of making a change as significant as a QB.

Personally I disagree with that idea, I'm a big believer that we give too much credit and blame to QBs for W/L records.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Loss: 3rd Seeded NFC East Champion vs 2nd Seeded NFC North Champion Minnesota Vikings
Loss: 3rd Seeded NFC East Champion vs 2nd Seeded NFC North Champion Green Bay Packers

Loss: 1st Seeded NFC East Champion vs 4th Seeded NFC North Champion Green Bay Packers
Win0: 5th Seeded Wild Card vs 4th Seeded NFC South Champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Before 2016, a number of fans called for Romo's replacement due to injuries. "He's gonna be paralyzed for life!" The demand was emphasized with the playoff futility that came with his teams attaining only two wins with four losses.

October 2020 came. Prescott fractured his ankle so severely his foot swiveled at the end of his leg as he held it off the ground. Afterwards, some fans have repeatedly said Prescott is afraid to run for fear his ankle will sustain another injury. The 2022 playoffs ended with Dallas losing to San Francisco and Prescott led teams tied Romo's postseason futility at two wins with four losses. The 2023 postseason concluded with Dallas losing to Green Bay--adding an additional loss to Prescott led teams' playoff futility.

Injuries? Check.

Without a doubt, CowboysZone has produced strong Get Rid of Dak sentiment but it has not reached the Get Rid of Romo intensity yet. Why has this not occurred on the site thus far--two years after Prescott 'equaled' Romo's two most negatively held criteria?
I think it' a joke that you think fans have any say or mandates to make demands or ultimatums.

they're already pretty clear we didn't need another quarterback discussion especially with those two,

there is no mandate, there is nothing that a fan can say or do or get their feelings mixed up that's going to change what happens actually on the team, on field, which there is no control except for what goes on with the front office... either watch and follow, support or don't..being in between is silly to me..

But here's a big difference between Romo being constantly injured over and over the fact that Prescott had some of his best years since his rookie year, after the injury,​
he literally in 2021 had 37 touchdowns and 10 interceptions, last year arguably people say he had his best year, so he's nowhere near the balance between injury and lack of playoff success because we can go breakdown every single one of those playoff games and realize most of it was on the other parts of the team and not on the quarterback, the quarterback cannot function on a broken team...​

So I'm not trying to defend the lack of playoff success but Peyton Manning didn't win his first Super Bowl until year nine, if they'd have got rid of him early how would that look for the Colts fans and how they felt about the front office getting rid of a guy that might be in his prime. I mean we don't know how many years that's left but people can we stop talking about how fans feel about the quarterback because he's here that's all that matters and when he's not here we can discuss that too Prescott's playing in 2024 last I checked he's he's not anywhere close to needing to be talked about retiring Romo was his injuries were happening consecutively over a three-year.... While Prescott since his injury has actually had some of his best seasons and yes that's even with the amount of interceptions he had in that one year everyone called bad but I'm thinking hey the amount of touchdowns he threw in that short amount of time the way our offense just got sparked and ignited when he came back and the fact that they been to the playoffs 5 out of the eight seasons he's been here which is a shorter amount of time than Romo played which I have to count but I'm not 100% on that...
But again, I'm going to book in this did we need another discussion about Prescott??NOPE

we can talk about this how about you just insert all the names of the alleged stars we have on this team from Romo to Prescott era and the fact that they didn't step up in those playoff games either and they got paid some of them got paid a few times...

they didn't step up in the biggest moments, I was there I watched I watched people fumbling footballs and missing field goals and having 14 penalties and having no run game and couldn't block the save their lives, I've seen teams' defenses just absolutely crumble under pressure against the better teams that would be a team issue, not a quarterback issue.

The fact is it's not clear that if we change the quarterback this team would get better in fact it's most likely we would get worse and for how many years I don't know it's not easy to replace a quarterback, do we need any more proof look around the league desperate to look for starting quarterbacks... i mean why else would CLE go after DW with that amount of draft stock and hand him a ridiculous contract under suspension, Wilson in Denver, Rogers in NY...​
why ?because 95 qbs been drafted since 2016 only ONE has won a SB...the draft, FA, trades no blueprint for finding QB better than Prescott.​
lastly lets close this with,​
tell me where all the support from this team for our QBs that Troy and Roger made a name for themselves with top Run games, OLs, OCs and Head coaches add in some top defenses etc and they never were asked to carry a team by themselves, always had a team back them up with memorable games and plays that won big games in crunch time , IT WAS NOT the qb who truly won those games it was a total team effort. Thats not happening in the playoffs for Dak nor for Romo..they are asked TO PLAY PERFECTLY or be blamed for losses.​

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think it' a joke that you think fans have any say or mandates to make demands or ultimatums.

they're already pretty clear we didn't need another quarterback discussion especially with those two,

there is no mandate, there is nothing that a fan can say or do or get their feelings mixed up that's going to change what happens actually on the team, on field, which there is no control except for what goes on with the front office... either watch and follow, support or don't..being in between is silly to me..

But here's a big difference between Romo being constantly injured over and over the fact that Prescott had some of his best years since his rookie year, after the injury,​
he literally in 2021 had 37 touchdowns and 10 interceptions, last year arguably people say he had his best year, so he's nowhere near the balance between injury and lack of playoff success because we can go breakdown every single one of those playoff games and realize most of it was on the other parts of the team and not on the quarterback, the quarterback cannot function on a broken team...​

So I'm not trying to defend the lack of playoff success but Peyton Manning didn't win his first Super Bowl until year nine, if they'd have got rid of him early how would that look for the Colts fans and how they felt about the front office getting rid of a guy that might be in his prime. I mean we don't know how many years that's left but people can we stop talking about how fans feel about the quarterback because he's here that's all that matters and when he's not here we can discuss that too Prescott's playing in 2024 last I checked he's he's not anywhere close to needing to be talked about retiring Romo was his injuries were happening consecutively over a three-year.... While Prescott since his injury has actually had some of his best seasons and yes that's even with the amount of interceptions he had in that one year everyone called bad but I'm thinking hey the amount of touchdowns he threw in that short amount of time the way our offense just got sparked and ignited when he came back and the fact that they been to the playoffs 5 out of the eight seasons he's been here which is a shorter amount of time than Romo played which I have to count but I'm not 100% on that...
But again, I'm going to book in this did we need another discussion about Prescott??NOPE

we can talk about this how about you just insert all the names of the alleged stars we have on this team from Romo to Prescott era and the fact that they didn't step up in those playoff games either and they got paid some of them got paid a few times...

they didn't step up in the biggest moments, I was there I watched I watched people fumbling footballs and missing field goals and having 14 penalties and having no run game and couldn't block the save their lives, I've seen teams' defenses just absolutely crumble under pressure against the better teams that would be a team issue, not a quarterback issue.

The fact is it's not clear that if we change the quarterback this team would get better in fact it's most likely we would get worse and for how many years I don't know it's not easy to replace a quarterback, do we need any more proof look around the league desperate to look for starting quarterbacks... i mean why else would CLE go after DW with that amount of draft stock and hand him a ridiculous contract under suspension, Wilson in Denver, Rogers in NY...​
why ?because 95 qbs been drafted since 2016 only ONE has won a SB...the draft, FA, trades no blueprint for finding QB better than Prescott.​
tell me where all the support from this team for our QBs that Troy and Roger made a name for themselves with top Run games, OLs, OCs and Head coaches add in some top defenses etc and they never were asked to carry a team by themselves, always had a team back them up with memorable games and plays that won big games in crunch time , IT WAS NOT the qb who truly won those games it was a total team effort. Thats not happening in the playoffs for Dak nor for Romo..they are asked TO PLAY PERFECTLY or be blamed for losses.​
1,000% correct!!!!

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

Injuries? Check.

I wanted Romo gone and now I want Dak gone. I've been consistent. lol And yes I don't think the next QB will do any better because the real problem is the ownership. Gotta keep trying though. It's all we got.

CWR

Reaction score
I'm not sure of that. I don't believe the sentiment is far off from when we replaced Romo.

If you need a variable look no further than Romo was brittle by the time we replaced him. Dak may have had injuries but he's still a tank. When Romo was near the end I expected an injury almost every time he got hit.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I couldnt read all of that...but did it occur to you dallas east is speaking in the context of our message board discussions rather than executive power of the organization.

By your theory nothing here really matters why even be here...the team will just do what it does.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it is now to the point, that fans on the fence about Dak, as to replacing him. Is more about age than talent level. As he will not be any more than what he is.
Actually he could have another 4 or 5 good years at his age, but the team as many QB's, needs to be there as well.

His contract demands also is a factor. If the overall team with him at QB has not done anything in the playoffs. Then why not make a change when they can. Look for that QB now, if Lance is not going to be the QB. As he may not be here anyway, since he will be a FA.

Draft a QB if there. And none of this has to do with any possible injuries. It is time to address this situation. However, We all know it will not happen.

75boyz

Reaction score
Not sure of the fan mandate but the Owner/GM mandate might be similar to the Garrett debacle.

Whereas its another example of Jerry's I'm a football man arrogance getting in the way.

The same way he held on to a failure of a coach in training of his in Garrett, Jerry wants to prove that his 4th round backup project at QB was and still is his right choice by sticking with him for too long.

jmo

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
I couldnt read all of that...but did it occur to you dallas east is speaking in the context of our message board discussions rather than executive power of the organization.

By your theory nothing here really matters why even be here...the team will just do what it does.

I hope one day there's an argument between that poster and CCboy.

Probably will crash the server and only the mods will read all of the posts and then wonder what they are doing with their lives.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not sure of the fan mandate but the Owner/GM mandate might be similar to the Garrett debacle.

Whereas its another example of Jerry's I'm a football man arrogance getting in the way.

The same way he held on to a failure of a coach in training of his in Garrett, Jerry wants to prove that his 4th round project at QB was and still is his right choice by sticking with him for too long.

jmo
Well look how long it took him to reconcile with Jimmy. So we can expect at least 2 Trance contract extensions.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it is now to the point, that fans on the fence about Dak, as to replacing him. Is more about age than talent level. As he will not be any more than what he is.
Actually he could have another 4 or 5 good years at his age, but the team as many QB's, needs to be there as well.

His contract demands also is a factor. If the overall team with him at QB has not done anything in the playoffs. Then why not make a change when they can. Look for that QB now, if Lance is not going to be the QB. As he may not be here anyway, since he will be a FA.

Draft a QB if there. And none of this has to do with any possible injuries. It is time to address this situation. However, We all know it will not happen.
I am pretty sure I fall into that category. I was never a Dak Ultra Crusader, but even up to Green Bay I was adamant Dak had a very good regular season and deserved credit. Then GB happened and I was like, man we just can;t keep doing this.

It wasn;t like Dak lost the game all by himself. I do think our big money almost-MVP :rolleyes: super star QB just can't contribute THAT much THAT way.

So I AM in favor of letting Dak lose, then rely on Lance, Coop and a high-ish draft QB. Get through a year or maybe two....not the TWENTY some people claim.

And if that does come to pass...well ...it's been 29 so...what's another couple dozen.

plymkr

Reaction score

You nailed it. For me I want Dak gone and primarily for 3 reasons. Age, Contract and Playoff success.

Age and contract speak for themselves. His age plays into the playoff success. He’s a seasoned veteran now and his issues with the playoffs should be past him. In 2016 when he was a rookie I can see the playoffs being too big of a moment for him. 2023, eh, he needs to be better.

I’ve said this in a couple other threads but go back and watch this season. It’s not Dak’s play that concerns me, it’s his body language and facial expressions. In the playoffs and against playoff teams he looked like a completely different QB as far as body language and confidence. You watch him play against the Panthers, Commanders, Giants, etc he carries himself differently. He walks different, has a different strut to him, he’s decisive, accurate, he makes things happen. But then in playoffs it’s like he shuts down. Or against playoff teams he shuts down.

I knew after our first offensive series in the GB game we were going to lose. He didn’t have it. I’ve seen that look before.

Chasing6

Reaction score

QB is a very unique position. There athletic ability fades over time, but the more they play the better they understand the game.

So their sweat spot is very different than any other position. Their athletic ability is less tied to age and more tied to injuries over the years.

Dak has not had a lot of serious injuries and still moves well. So his age/injury history is not a factor in resigning him at all.