What's the secret to the Cowboys' lasting popularity?

LoneStar84

Reaction score
I became a Cowboys fan at a young age because my dad was a Cowboys fan. He grew up in Nashville, TN and said that he started rooting for the Cowboys as a kid in the late 1960s because they were on TV in Nashville more than any other NFL team. I grew up in Knoxville, TN and we didn’t have a home state NFL team until the Oilers moved to Nashville and became the Titans when I was in 8th or 9th grade. At that point, I started rooting for the Titans as they were now the home state team. But I’ve always remained a Cowboys fan because of that connection with my dad. So the way I have always looked at it is the Titans are my AFC team, and the Cowboys are my NFC team.

But anyway, my main point is I think one of the main reasons for the number of Cowboys fans across the US is the amount of tv coverage they get.

LoneStar84

Reaction score
I became a Cowboys fan at a young age because my dad was a Cowboys fan. He grew up in Nashville, TN and said that he started rooting for the Cowboys as a kid in the late 1960s because they were on TV in Nashville more than any other NFL team. I grew up in Knoxville, TN and we didn’t have a home state NFL team until the Oilers moved to Nashville and became the Titans when I was in 8th or 9th grade. At that point, I started rooting for the Titans as they were now the home state team. But I’ve always remained a Cowboys fan because of that connection with my dad. So the way I have always looked at it is the Titans are my AFC team, and the Cowboys are my NFC team. Regardless, my main point is that the Cowboys have been getting prime-time TV coverage across the country for decades. In a lot of places without a home NFL team, the Cowboys often seem to be the most popular team because they’re on tv the most.

willia451

Reaction score
Simple. They were one of the first teams that understood the power of Television. In 1966 they jumped into the Thanksgiving Day game market and that got their name out there. People liked the Star on the helmet and the fedora.. And the cheerleaders. Soon after they became a force always in the playoffs and contending for a SB most years; so they were on TV all the time.

That cultivated a national fan base which has carried over to this day and after the success of the early 90s all that went global.

But it won't last forever. 25 years of no success is a long time. The warning signs are everywhere.

TheHerd

Reaction score
The biggest factor in the Cowboys Revenue remaining #1 in revenue is the stadium which sells over 90,000 tickets on average at the highest price in the league. It’s the largest stadium so we win basically by default.

Amd popularity is driven by TV viewership. The top viewed games usually involve the Cowboys every year. It’s not just Cowboy fans but other fans who love to root against us.

Jerry’s contributions which he was Inducted for has paved a means for the Cowboys to remain the wealthiest and most popular while not being successful on the field.

He’s truly pimped the brand while lessening the product. American ingenuity at its best. Very common in this country where the biggest , wealthiest and most popular products are average at best.
No, the biggest factor is the non shared revenue outside the stadium. We generate about 40% more than the second place team, and over twice most teams. Those who poo poo Jerry's told in the money side are kidding themselves.

And once the Patriots stop playing in every championship game, they will quickly return to the third popular team in their own market.

mrmojo

Reaction score
It may be fading but they are the #1 topic on sports talk shows even without being in the playoffs this year. Its history, the championships, iconic players, characters, cheerleaders, past style of play and those uniforms. I guarantee you more people know who Dak is then who the QB of the Titans or 49ers who are playing for conference championships this weekend.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Combination and perfect storm of the iconic Star on the Helmet, "Americas Team" moniker/NFL Films from the 70's, something about the geography/personality/media market of Dallas, TX and the states relationship with football in general, playing in the NFCE created a national stage and storied rivalries, Iconic cheerleaders (what cheerleading team has their own movie?), The stoic legend that is Tom Landry and his success/innovation ie creating the shotgun (The Man in the Hat/Suit), Jimmy Johnson The Iconic players of the 60's, 70's, 80's guys like Manster, Lily, "Too Tall," Dorsett, Staubach, Triplets etc.., all the HOF players/coaches, not to mention the polarizing guys like Hollywood Henderson, Irvin.. Television exposure in the 70's/80's, Thanksgiving game... I became a fan around 1981 living in Silver Spring, MD. The team was already wildly popular and I missed the Staubach era coming in with Danny White... The marketing machine that is Jerry Jones, the success of the triplets along with the overall popularity of the sport in America was like adding steroids.

csirl

Reaction score
My son is a fan because I am. He does laugh at me screaming at the TV though. I think parents pass it down to children but also, we are on tv a lot. That helps immensely.

Unfortunately my son is a Seahawks fan. Asked him why.....said they have the coolest uniforms. He's still.young, so still hoping he'll see the light.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
2N3U21p.gif

Yeah. That helps. That helps a lot.

Reaction score
As we are all richly aware, the Cowboys haven't won a Super Bowl in 25 years. They haven't even advanced beyond the divisional playoffs since then. They haven't won a road playoff game in 27 years. There is an entire generation of Cowboys fans that now shares more in common with Bengals or Lions fans than with their own Cowboys elders.

And yet the Cowboys are consistently among the world's richest teams, usually are the NFL's most-watched team, command the highest-ratings, draw the most revenue, sell out all the time.

Is it really just the momentum of those 5 Lombardis? Granted, the Cowboys were already dubbed America's Team in the 1970s, so it's more than that.

Several factors, IMHO:

• The Cowboys have one of the best uniforms in the league, aesthetically speaking.
  • The Cowboys are always scheduled in on Thanksgiving, so there's always at least one nationally-televised game.
  • At a certain point, momentum begets itself. The Cowboys are popular, so they get high TV ratings and the best nationally-televised slots, which then in turn continues their popularity, and then ensures that they get great primetime games, etc. etc.
  • The Cowboys used to host their summer training camp in California, so that ensures a big following in the nation's most populous state.
  • Jerry is a terrible GM, but still great owner-wise in terms of getting publicity and marketing things.
  • There has only been one season in the past ten years in which the Cowboys were truly bad - the 2015 season. In every other season from 2011-2019, the Cowboys either made the playoffs, or fell short on the very doorstep of the playoffs. That ensured compelling relevancy, and TV-viewership, throughout the season.
  • The Cowboys have the biggest and best stadium in the league.
  • The Cowboys' cheerleaders are better known than most other NFL cheerleaders.

At first it was Roger Staubach and Tom Landry and the cheerleaders, after that it was family tradition and air time.

droopdog7

Reaction score
The secret? Probably the fact that most cowboy fans from the great cowboy years are still alive. But they better get back to the top soon.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Cowboys aren't that popular. Its just J.J. selling us that stuff and people only reading Cowboys stuff.

Watch other games, read other news and they will tell you all the same about their or other teams.

Dallas Cowboys are Forbes No. 1 when it comes to franchise value. That doesn't mean they are the most popular or even a popular team. Don't confuse popularity with market value.

It's not just money. In total fan numbers - for instance, number of followers on Facebook - the Cowboys lead every other team in the NFL.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far.

OK, time for another question: How much futility would it take to make fans abandon the Cowboys en masse? Another decade of no playoffs?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
As we are all richly aware, the Cowboys haven't won a Super Bowl in 25 years. They haven't even advanced beyond the divisional playoffs since then. They haven't won a road playoff game in 27 years. There is an entire generation of Cowboys fans that now shares more in common with Bengals or Lions fans than with their own Cowboys elders.

And yet the Cowboys are consistently among the world's richest teams, usually are the NFL's most-watched team, command the highest-ratings, draw the most revenue, sell out all the time.

Is it really just the momentum of those 5 Lombardis? Granted, the Cowboys were already dubbed America's Team in the 1970s, so it's more than that.

Several factors, IMHO:

• The Cowboys have one of the best uniforms in the league, aesthetically speaking.
  • The Cowboys are always scheduled in on Thanksgiving, so there's always at least one nationally-televised game.
  • At a certain point, momentum begets itself. The Cowboys are popular, so they get high TV ratings and the best nationally-televised slots, which then in turn continues their popularity, and then ensures that they get great primetime games, etc. etc.
  • The Cowboys used to host their summer training camp in California, so that ensures a big following in the nation's most populous state.
  • Jerry is a terrible GM, but still great owner-wise in terms of getting publicity and marketing things.
  • There has only been one season in the past ten years in which the Cowboys were truly bad - the 2015 season. In every other season from 2011-2019, the Cowboys either made the playoffs, or fell short on the very doorstep of the playoffs. That ensured compelling relevancy, and TV-viewership, throughout the season.
  • The Cowboys have the biggest and best stadium in the league.
  • The Cowboys' cheerleaders are better known than most other NFL cheerleaders.
The DCC.

Nothing better in the organization.

Take your binoculars and pan the field.

First thing you will find is the girls.

Nuff said.

And suffice it to say we are all so very happy Jerrah never added Male cheerleaders over the years.

Ahgg...

ESisback

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far.

OK, time for another question: How much futility would it take to make fans abandon the Cowboys en masse? Another decade of no playoffs?

Many of the Old Timers are starting to die off. A lot can happen in ten years, but I think ZERO playoffs would put a SERIOUS dent into it!