What's up with Carpenter?

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
I've been reading that Williams and specifically Hodge are doing really well at ILB. Those guys will most likely make the team. Where does that put Carpenter? We are going to carry 5 ILB's? Anybody else think that Bobby will be cut? Keep in mind we are going to probably carry 3 QB's and 2 Kickers on the roster this year. Something we didn't do last year.

TheBiG Z

Reaction score
411Zmp5qzdL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't think Bobby should be feeling real safe but let's remember that it does take some time to adjust for most rookie LBs. Esp for SPs.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
I understand the propensity to get carried away or enamored with the new draft picks, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.....unless you want to of course (that's your prerogative ). ;)

The man everyone is dying to get rid of received ample praise during training camp last year...playing against veterans. These guys are still playing against what are essentially college players.

...but yeah. I'd guess Carpenter is in trouble too.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
tomson75;2764193 said:
I understand the propensity to get carried away or enamored with the new draft picks, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.....unless you want to of course (that's your prerogative ). ;)

The man everyone is dying to get rid of received ample praise during training camp last year...playing against veterans. These guys are still playing against what are essentially college players.

like some said, these are rookies, they will hit the wall when the vets come in;
kinda like last year on hardknocks show,, a linebacker came up to sack romo, and barber hit him and knocked him down, was a vicious hit; thats what rookies will come across

at same time, the rookies if they are good, they will come through some time of the season, just takes time and dont get overhyped on the rookies, thats what they are rookies

even as good as russell maryland was, it took him till about the 8th game of the season before he started playing full time;

Bluefin

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if Bobby Carpenter takes the opportunity to play in the nickel and runs with it.

Carp also presents value due to being able to back-up inside and outside.

But will it be enough?

Reserves need to contribute as substitutes and/or on special teams.

We may end up getting more bang for our buck with younger players.

ethiostar

Reaction score
This was posted at Blogging the Boys a couple of days ago as part of an overall analysis of the defense. The bolded parts are relevant for your inquiry.

Inside Linebacker
Starters: Bradie James, Keith Brooking
Survivor Contestants: Justin Rogers, Bobby Carpenter, Steve Octavien, Matt Stewart, Jason Williams, Stephen Hodge.
Cowboys will likely keep: 4
Breakdown: It is not inconceivable that the Cowboys would roll with two rookies backing up James and Brooking. Jason Williams was the team’s first selection, and would have to do something unthinkable not to make this roster. Hodge impressed at the rookie mini-camp with his coverage skills, and is expected to be a core special teams player. Keeping only Williams and Hodge would however present a challenge, as both are more suited to play Brooking’s weak inside position. If the Cowboys went with James, Brooking, Hodge and Williams, the team would have to look hard for a player who can fill in both inside and outside in a pinch. That scenario would all but eliminate Matt Stewart, who is not athletic enough to play outside in a 3-4. Rogers and Carpenter both have some experience outside. Rogers is the best special teamer of the group, so that may give him the edge over the disappointing Carpenter. This battle could be affected by the battle at outside linebacker.
That's assuming J. Will and Hodge will beat out Carpenter.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SLATEmosphere;2764179 said:
I've been reading that Williams and specifically Hodge are doing really well at ILB. Those guys will most likely make the team.
I'd say that is a good bet. :D

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
His only chance to make an impact will be on special teams.

There isn't a player on our team I hate more than Barbie.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Another day, another Carpenter thread.

I can't wait for tomorrow's version of this record. I bet it will soar up the charts.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hostile;2764293 said:

I can't wait for tomorrow's version of this record. I bet it will soar up the charts.

Well it is the dead part of the season, can't expect much more right now I suppose.

As far as the topic, I don't think Carp will be cut since he knows the scheme so he's got an advantage over the rookies.

I'm just wondering who the popular rookie will be that we try to put on our practice squad that ends up getting snatched up by another team, there's one every year.

Doomsay

Reaction score
I guess a bust of such epic proportions just won't go away, good for her.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2764179 said:
I've been reading that Williams and specifically Hodge are doing really well at ILB. Those guys will most likely make the team. Where does that put Carpenter?

Joey%20Sports%20Center%20Desk-thumb-372x279.jpg

DBOY3141

Reaction score
tomson75;2764193 said:

I guess all that praise was just words, since Barbie never saw the field. Three years and nothing. I'll take my chances with two rookies. They can't be worse.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
DBOY3141;2764309 said:
I guess all that praise was just words, since Barbie never saw the field.

That was exactly my point. How can we be sure that the praise for these rookies is any more real? We can't.

Let it play out...at least wait until the rookies have played against an actual NFL player.

Too much to ask? Probably.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2764293 said:

Right!

I usually won't read threads such as this, as I knew what it would turn into. These are to be fans of the Dallas Cowboys and their players, support the TEAM. but some people are just born to hate, even their own teams players.

I cannot honestly think of any player on this team I don't care for. Can some better players, or be replaced with better talent, yes. But I will support who we have while they are here. But this is rediculous, the hatred torward Carpenter.

Yes not everyone will like every player, I can understand that, but this is to the verge of childish.

Doomsay

Reaction score
DBOY3141;2764309 said:
I guess all that praise was just words, since Barbie never saw the field. Three years and nothing. I'll take my chances with two rookies. They can't be worse.

Yup, some upside, less expensive + better morale (coaches are running a meritocracy not covering their butts because of a horrible failure of a pick)

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
jazzcat22;2764339 said:
Right!

I usually won't read threads such as this, as I knew what it would turn into. These are to be fans of the Dallas Cowboys and their players, support the TEAM. but some people are just born to hate, even their own teams players.

I cannot honestly think of any player on this team I don't care for. Can some better players, or be replaced with better talent, yes. But I will support who we have while they are here. But this is rediculous, the hatred torward Carpenter.

Yes not everyone will like every player, I can understand that, but this is to the verge of childish.

:rolleyes: Get real. There are plenty of fans that have one guy on their roster that they don't really like. Don't make it out like your some awsome fan for loving everyone on the team. Just because he has a star on his helmet doesn't mean I have an obligation to like him.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
jazzcat22;2764339 said:
Right!

The fanatical part of fandom. I see no problem with discussing who is going to be the LB for SPs. Right now the odds are with Brooking and Carpenter. I'm not a Carp fan at all but my money is on him. And most fans should hope he's going to replace Burnett well. I'm not counting on Brooking. I don't see him being fast and athletic enough anymore altho he might be good enough.

To count of two rookies who have never played the nickel/dime or the Mo position is pretty far fetched IMO. I do hope they grow into the role and fast. I just don't expect it any sooner than mid-season.