What's up with the NFL numbering system???

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I was thinking about this when reading the thread that mentioned Reggie Bush's fight to wear #5. I was wondering if anyone knew why the NFL put this policy in place that restricts certain skill players from having certain numbers.

BTW, Paul Hurning wore #5 and he was a RB.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Someone on this board said that it might be because it would be easier for a defense to know what personnel are coming on to the field.

For example, if you see an 88, then you know that a WR is coming onto the field. I guess its a bit easier to get your defensive team that way.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
"Paul Hurning wore #5 and he was a RB"

Hornung was a kicker and QB as well.

...and kickers can have that type of number. They probably put him in as a punter, so he could get that type of number, and then sometimes ran him as an RB.

That's what Reggie wanted to do. Get penciled in as a QB, and just play as an RB.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:

He was primarily a RB.

He never had more than 6 completions in a season and only had 24 for a career. Doesn't sound like a QB to me.

DallasKen

Reaction score
They didn't have a numbering system back in the old days. You would see defensive ends with the number 84.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
DallasKen said:
They didn't have a numbering system back in the old days. You would see defensive ends with the number 84.

Which is why I started this thread. I wonder when and why they started it.

AmericasTeam81

Reaction score
I believe it is for the referees. so they would no which ones on offense are eligible receivers. Also it could be for uniformity. Easier to distinguish which positions.

genghiskhan

Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
Someone on this board said that it might be because it would be easier for a defense to know what personnel are coming on to the field.

For example, if you see an 88, then you know that a WR is coming onto the field. I guess its a bit easier to get your defensive team that way.

I'm pretty sure that's correct. It's also easier for the referees to know who's supposed to be eligible for what and who isn't, which I think is the main thing.

fredp22

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy said:
Which is why I started this thread. I wonder when and why they started it.

It was started in 1973, as a way for officials to more easily identify players on the field by their position.

Until 2004, wide receivers were allowed to only wear numbers in the 80s. The NFL changed the rule that year to allow wide receivers to wear numbers 11-19 to allow for the increased amount of retired numbers, as well as more players at wide receiver and tight end (who also wear numbers in the 80s) coming into the league.

Although centers are supposed to wear numbers 50-59, they usually end up wearing 60-79, due to high amounts of linebackers.

Keyshawn Johnson started the trend when he wore number 19 in 1996 because the New York Jets had ran out of numbers in the 80s. In addition, the first three wide receivers taken in the 2004 NFL Draft - Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, and Reggie Williams - all wear number 11. At the beginning of the 2005 season, 30 wide receivers had numbers in the teens, including Plaxico Burress (17, New York Giants), Braylon Edwards (17, Cleveland Browns) and Randy Moss (18, Oakland Raiders).

New Orleans Saints RB Reggie Bush is currently petitioning the NFL to let him keep the number 5 which he used at USC. This has opened debates as to possibly changing the current numbering system to a more flexible one, perhaps mirroring the college rules

Number allocations
Quarterbacks: 1-19
Running backs: 20-49
Wide receivers: 80-89, 10-19 if all are taken
Tight ends: 80-89
Centers: 50-59, 60-79 if all are taken
Offensive linemen: 60-79
Defensive linemen: 60-79 and 90-99
Linebackers: 50-59 and 90-99
Defensive backs: 20-49
Placekickers and punters: 1-19

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:

yeah once they go leniant on the numbering rule in order to further confuse defenses... next will be defensive backs having to run with a practice squad player of their choice piggyback.

jem88

Reaction score
fredp22 said:
It was started in 1973, as a way for officials to more easily identify players on the field by their position.

Until 2004, wide receivers were allowed to only wear numbers in the 80s. The NFL changed the rule that year to allow wide receivers to wear numbers 11-19 to allow for the increased amount of retired numbers, as well as more players at wide receiver and tight end (who also wear numbers in the 80s) coming into the league.

Although centers are supposed to wear numbers 50-59, they usually end up wearing 60-79, due to high amounts of linebackers.

Keyshawn Johnson started the trend when he wore number 19 in 1996 because the New York Jets had ran out of numbers in the 80s. In addition, the first three wide receivers taken in the 2004 NFL Draft - Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, and Reggie Williams - all wear number 11. At the beginning of the 2005 season, 30 wide receivers had numbers in the teens, including Plaxico Burress (17, New York Giants), Braylon Edwards (17, Cleveland Browns) and Randy Moss (18, Oakland Raiders).

New Orleans Saints RB Reggie Bush is currently petitioning the NFL to let him keep the number 5 which he used at USC. This has opened debates as to possibly changing the current numbering system to a more flexible one, perhaps mirroring the college rules

Number allocations
As much as I love #88, I would have loved for Irvin to have worn #47. He was the coolest player ever in college football (2nd coolest in the NFL after Holt.)

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:

The main reason that Horning could wear #5 is because the numbering rules were different back then and a RB could wear that number. They implemented the current numbering system after his retirement. LB's could wear numbers in the 60's back then (ala Nitezski <sp>) but I do not believe that they are allowed those numbers anymore. Also back then the number 00 was legal for O-linemen and WRs but that went away with the #5 for RBs.

I have to say that the rule against single digit numbers for RBs seems pretty silly to me but most of the rest of the numbering system makes sense for the most part.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
fredp22 said:
Number allocations
Can't TEs wear numbers in the 40s also? Dallas Clark with the Colts wears a 40 something number and I believe that there are a few more TEs in the league that do this.

silver

Reaction score
i personally like the numbering system as it is right now. it makes good drama to predict what number certain college player will get in the pros like it happened with our own bobby carpenter. i certainly don't want it to be like it is in college football where a lb can wear any number he pleases to choose.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
Reggie Bush needs to shut up and play. What has he done in the NFL? Jack Squat. Shut up and take your number between 20 and 49.