What's up with the NFL numbering system???

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
At one time you could not sure about today. Jim Otto wore 00 for the Raiders
I believe Ken Burroughs also wore it for the Oilers.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I believe Ken Burroughs also wore it for the Oilers.

Good call, your right 00 was worn by Kenny Borrough of the Houston Oilers.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I dont get the comments being made about confusing the defenses...

Think HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. You study game film, you look at your defensive scouting each week ( usually ours consisted of a picture of the player, position, and few comments about him such as: good arm, mobile Qb. or Strong runner, doesnt cut much. etc) If High school players can remember people by thier numbers and not be confused, I have a hard time believing professional athletes ESPECIALLY with as much film as they watch,would have any trouble at all with the number rule changing

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
Reggie Bush needs to shut up and play. What has he done in the NFL? Jack Squat. Shut up and take your number between 20 and 49.
A-freaking-men.

Why should the NFL change its policy so a rookie who has never played a single pro snap can get his precious college number?

Eddie

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
A-freaking-men.

Why should the NFL change its policy so a rookie who has never played a single pro snap can get his precious college number?

Agreed ... he wasn't even the top pick in the draft.

He's another JAG.

Hater

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy said:
He was primarily a RB.

He never had more than 6 completions in a season and only had 24 for a career. Doesn't sound like a QB to me.

He was drafted as a quarterback out of Notre Dame (where, incidentally, he was the only player to win the Heisman on a losing team). After it became apparent to Lombardi & co. that he was not going to pan out as a QB, they switched him to halfback. So, he was allowed to have the number because he was a Quarterback that eventually switched to halfback. Dick "Night Train" Lane wore #81 as a cornerback because he was drafted as an end.

Regarding 0's and 00's.. Brian Cox used to wear 0 during the preseason, Jim Otto for the Raiders might have been the last player to wear 00 during the regular season.

And sorry, Reggie Bush has every right to ask for whatever number he wants. The NFL is a business and Bush is providing them with millions of dollars of income in TV ratings, merchandising, and ticket sales; he can ask for #105 if he wants to, and if the League decides giving him a 3 digit number will somehow make them more money, than that's what they'll do.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I understand why Bush wants his number in large part that is what football players are identified by is their number unlike other sports they are not visible other than the numbers. For those who truly follow the NFL chances are you know who a player is when you see them but for many others they know a player by his number. In the end if the NFL says no there is nothing Bush can do about it and I doubt he is willing to hold out over a number but it does not hurt to ask.