What's with the MLB lock out?

RonWashington

Reaction score
That's what they're doing, and that's what is causing the problem. Too many teams are now fielding AAA teams and the fans are staying away in droves. It is quite simply not a sustainable system.

When your team is 12 games out of first place by mid May like the garbage the Rangers have fielded with Jon Daniels brilliance it’s ludicrous . And with two owners getting a fancy new stadium . Have a lock out be my guest fellas ….

Flamma

Reaction score
That's what they're doing, and that's what is causing the problem. Too many teams are now fielding AAA teams and the fans are staying away in droves. It is quite simply not a sustainable system.

They're not letting teams spend what they want. There's revenue sharing, but there's a cap. All that does is hurt what could be good or great teams. That's why the product suffers.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
When your team is 12 games out of first place by mid May like the garbage the Rangers have fielded with Jon Daniels brilliance it’s ludicrous . And with two owners getting a fancy new stadium . Have a lock out be my guest fellas ….

giphy.gif

What happens when a league throws a strike and no one cares?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Baseball went for decades and decades with few changes, then when fan interest began to wane, they were forced into doing something. The fast pace of life in the U.S. wasn't reflected in the slow, plodding play of baseball. The "it's tradition!" crowd finally began to die out and some of the dumbest things in sports began to be removed, such as the throwing of 4 pitches waaayyy outside to a batter they wanted to walk. Now they just send the batter to first base. The "strategy" of bringing in a pitcher who throws one pitch and then leaves so another pitcher, who despite having spent several minutes throwing in the bullpen gets on the mound and throws still more pitches, while the fans sleep in the stands, go get another beer or check Facebook on their phones.

More could be done, I almost laugh every time I see a batter take a ball, then steps out of the batter's box and re-straps his wristbands, despite hardly moving his hands at all during the ball. Just think, years ago there were no wristbands, and I didn't see tons of wrist injuries occur.

Just noting that baseball is no longer the "National pastime", based on fan ratings. If it wants to survive, it had better change. And the exorbitant salaries for a pitcher who might get in 20% of the gams is just one example. People who work 50-60 hours a week just to make ends meet are tired of that...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
MLB might need another steroid era to save it :lmao2:

They have it. MLB has stopped testing for steroids due to the lockout, so per one top doctor players are "flooding in" to get on the juice. Of course, once an agreement is reached the ban may be re-instated, but steriod effects will last for months more....

kskboys

Reaction score
Baseball went for decades and decades with few changes, then when fan interest began to wane, they were forced into doing something. The fast pace of life in the U.S. wasn't reflected in the slow, plodding play of baseball. The "it's tradition!" crowd finally began to die out and some of the dumbest things in sports began to be removed, such as the throwing of 4 pitches waaayyy outside to a batter they wanted to walk. Now they just send the batter to first base. The "strategy" of bringing in a pitcher who throws one pitch and then leaves so another pitcher, who despite having spent several minutes throwing in the bullpen gets on the mound and throws still more pitches, while the fans sleep in the stands, go get another beer or check Facebook on their phones.

More could be done, I almost laugh every time I see a batter take a ball, then steps out of the batter's box and re-straps his wristbands, despite hardly moving his hands at all during the ball. Just think, years ago there were no wristbands, and I didn't see tons of wrist injuries occur.

Just noting that baseball is no longer the "National pastime", based on fan ratings. If it wants to survive, it had better change. And the exorbitant salaries for a pitcher who might get in 20% of the gams is just one example. People who work 50-60 hours a week just to make ends meet are tired of that...
And you won't win a WS w/o that pitcher.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And you won't win a WS w/o that pitcher.

Who was that guy on the Braves this past year? Per Sportrac Charlie Morton was the highest paid pitcher at $15,000,000. That was tied for 24th in the league. Now sure that may not be the usual case, but Atlanta did win the WS...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ignore me. I didn't realize I was in the MLB thread when I responded to your post. I should drink less.
Ignore you just about this or are there other things we should ignore you about? I suggested a Blanket Ignore for myself and it's working pretty well.

And, please, define "less".

kskboys

Reaction score
Who was that guy on the Braves this past year? Per Sportrac Charlie Morton was the highest paid pitcher at $15,000,000. That was tied for 24th in the league. Now sure that may not be the usual case, but Atlanta did win the WS...
Morton.

It's not about the money so much, it's about having pitchers who can shut down other teams. If they're not on their rook contracts, you have to pay them.

BTW, Morton got hurt in the first game, but the Braves pitchers came up big vs the Stros.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Morton.

It's not about the money so much, it's about having pitchers who can shut down other teams. If they're not on their rook contracts, you have to pay them.

BTW, Morton got hurt in the first game, but the Braves pitchers came up big vs the Stros.

My point was that the pitcher salaries are too high for part time players, has nothing to do with their talent, no doubt they are talented,,,