What's with the MLB lock out?

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree but small market teams are small market teams. There are a lot of cities that probably should not have a baseball team, mainly most of the ones in Florida
So you're saying delete some teams?

kskboys

Reaction score
They could phase in the cap. They could opt out existing contracts. All kinds of things can be done to get a cap. I can't believe they don't already have one with the disparity in payrolls.
Because the rich teams are paying the poor teams not to. It's that simple.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because the rich teams are paying the poor teams not to. It's that simple.

Teams presently contribute 48 percent of all local revenues, including gate receipts, local TV revenue, concessions, parking, sponsorships, etc, and the funds are then divided equally among all 30 teams. The players want a reduction in revenue sharing b/c its free money and teams are under no obligation to spend those dollars.

The NFL also revenue shares but it works b/c the owners have a salary cap minimum. So, owners can't just sell players and pocket the revenue like they do in MLB.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I have to give the NFL credit, I think they are the only one of the big 4 to get the salary cap and roster system right.

Hockey and especially baseball have little control and it's ruined their sports along with other nonsense such as the steroids scandal.

Basketball tried to do their best, but the teams are just too small, one great player can make or break your franchise, and it hasn't turned out as well as they hoped with guys recruiting their homies and having free agent bonanzas.

jrumann59

Reaction score
So you're saying delete some teams?
Yes and no really if you delete some teams LA and NY teams would be power houses for 4-5 years. Unless of course they have a contraction draft, where teams can draft players with a system that weighs the drafting teams market. SO say the Cardinals draft a superstar but cannot absorb the full salary hit.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes and no really if you delete some teams LA and NY teams would be power houses for 4-5 years. Unless of course they have a contraction draft, where teams can draft players with a system that weighs the drafting teams market. SO say the Cardinals draft a superstar but cannot absorb the full salary hit.

Thats BS nobody spends more than the NY teams and neither was competitive last year. If SD can find 184M to spend on player salaries so can the bums running the Indians and Orioles. You just have some cheap owners who could care less about winning b/c they are making plenty of money doing nothing.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Thats BS nobody spends more than the NY teams and neither was competitive last year. If SD can find 184M to spend on player salaries so can the bums running the Indians and Orioles. You just have some cheap owners who could care less about winning b/c they are making plenty of money doing nothing.
SMall market teams can spend but it leaves a very small window for them. Spending is part of it, I mean Chicago Cubs are a big spending team until they realized their coaching sucked.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SMall market teams can spend but it leaves a very small window for them. Spending is part of it, I mean Chicago Cubs are a big spending team until they realized their coaching sucked.

Baseball can go one of 2 ways. They can be the English Premier league where only 5 or 6 teams out of 20 have a chance to win and the rest are glorified farm teams, or they can be the NFL where every team has a chance regardless of the market size.

John813

Reaction score
I have to give the NFL credit, I think they are the only one of the big 4 to get the salary cap and roster system right.

Hockey and especially baseball have little control and it's ruined their sports along with other nonsense such as the steroids scandal.

Basketball tried to do their best, but the teams are just too small, one great player can make or break your franchise, and it hasn't turned out as well as they hoped with guys recruiting their homies and having free agent bonanzas.

How is hockey ruined? (Honest question, just like to pick your brain)

Small franchises can become players for the Cup with the right Front office. Contracts are fully guaranteed but it's not like every good Free agent gets top 5 contracts just for hitting the market like the NFL. Only negative IMO is when players break down due to age or injury and the buyout penalties can be severe depending on signing bonuses and length of term remaining.

Tampa Bay became a powerhouse with Steve Y and Briesbos doing a great job retaining and finding talent.
Hell, even the Panthers have turned around big time and at least are now playoff contenders.
It's like the NFL where you need a solid team and not just a few elite players to be winners(cough Edmonton).

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
How is hockey ruined? (Honest question, just like to pick your brain)

Small franchises can become players for the Cup with the right Front office. Contracts are fully guaranteed but it's not like every good Free agent gets top 5 contracts just for hitting the market like the NFL. Only negative IMO is when players break down due to age or injury and the buyout penalties can be severe depending on signing bonuses and length of term remaining.

Tampa Bay became a powerhouse with Steve Y and Briesbos doing a great job retaining and finding talent.
Hell, even the Panthers have turned around big time and at least are now playoff contenders.
It's like the NFL where you need a solid team and not just a few elite players to be winners(cough Edmonton).

Maybe hockey is in better shape then I give it credit. Sort of left it like I did baseball and haven't looked back since, but at the time they were struggling with similar issues -- no cap, players shifting allegiance constantly, large market contracts.

Besides the whole ridiculous steroids scandal (which I think they should just go ahead and let in the players who were doping to the HOF), baseball lost me when no one kept a player for more than a few years. I love that about football. Star players aren't hitmen. There is some continuity as long as you can figure out how to make it fit.

jrumann59

Reaction score
actually all sports needs a exception for homegrown talent. Reward teams with good player development with exclusions to the cap.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I hate to break it to baseball but the delay of spring training hasn’t fazed many folks . Go ahead have a lock out .

When you look at these stadiums like the Rangers new home don’t the owners have a note on these facilities ? Or do bonds and higher sales taxes in Arlington get the two Oil billionaires who own the team off the hook . It’s just regular suckers who have mortgages ?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate to break it to baseball but the delay of spring training hasn’t fazed many folks . Go ahead have a lock out .

When you look at these stadiums like the Rangers new home don’t the owners have a note on these facilities ? Or do bonds and higher sales taxes in Arlington get the two Oil billionaires who own the team off the hook . It’s just regular suckers who have mortgages ?

The owners have a constant stream of revenue. Most have many other businesses in addition to baseball. If they take a loss on baseball, they just wrote it off against their gains other businesses. This is why player lockouts never work or result in any substantial gains for players. Most players aren't Freddie Freeman who has earned over 100M the past 5-6 years. Most need their paychecks to keep their lifestyles. They will always cave in first. Until the general public starts losing interest en masse, the owners have zero motivation to cave in.

RonWashington

Reaction score
But Atlanta fan don’t the owners need a season for TV revenue concessions stadium costs ? I realize they are billionaires but at some point $ has to come in for a business to be viable .

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm for revenue sharing, no cap. Let teams spend what they want. Don't like it? Don't support a team that refuses to spend.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
the damn baseball owners had no problem when the Yankees or Dodgers were spending a bazillion dollars a year but when teh Mets finally get an owner that blows the cap off Owners cry foul and need to punish those owners more. A bunch of hypcrites. I dont care if they lock the players out for a year or ten years. I got through it the year they cancelled the playoffs, the year they cancelled most of the season and the year they cancelled most of the year for the Pandemic. I will get it over it again. A bunch of millionaires and billionaires arguing about money. Give me a break.

rags

Reaction score
Just saw on FS1 that Opening Day has been cancelled because the owners and players can't agree on a new CBA.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I hope the year gets canceled . A lockout strike whatever work stoppage in this industry based on what’s swirling around the globe and at home . The public has other options .

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm for revenue sharing, no cap. Let teams spend what they want. Don't like it? Don't support a team that refuses to spend.
That's what they're doing, and that's what is causing the problem. Too many teams are now fielding AAA teams and the fans are staying away in droves. It is quite simply not a sustainable system.