What's wrong with Gerald Willis?

Ring Leader

Reaction score
Why is he still on the board in the 6th round? I thought he was a solid 3rd rounder?

th

Verdammung

Reaction score
Based purely on tape, I had a 3-4 on him, but he's not flawless, he's got some character concerns, and he tested poorly. I dropped him to a 4-5, so maybe this is about the right place for someone to take a chance on him.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Cowboys should throw their 7th rounder at him. Lot of talent and despite all the other acquisitions along the line its worth creating more competition.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
And that, my friends, is why none of you are getting paid to evaluate and draft players.

Many of you would have embarrassingly overdrafted Willis in the third, but apparently his value was actually an UDFA. You guys would have wasted a third round pick.

More specifically, we have other jobs and can't spend 80 hours a week tape grinding, nor can we invite these prospects into our homes for an interview, nor can we call up their college coaches and ask them questions, nor can we fly down to their school and arrange private workouts to look at stuff we have questions about on tape.

NFL teams aren't necessarily that much smarter than forum GMs, they just have way more information.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
More specifically, we have other jobs and can't spend 80 hours a week tape grinding, nor can we invite these prospects into our homes for an interview, nor can we call up their college coaches and ask them questions, nor can we fly down to their school and arrange private workouts to look at stuff we have questions about on tape.

NFL teams aren't necessarily that much smarter than forum GMs, they just have way more information.

This is all true.

That said, it’s just another example of why the notion of value based on draft website rankings is fool-hearty.

As in “I can’t believe Player X dropped to the 6th round when everywhere I read said he was a 2-3 round prospect!”

I don’t have time to watch 400+ prospects like a Dane Bruglar, but I do probably watch ~25-40 guys either I like or are being linked to the Cowboys. And while I don’t have access to coaches and private workouts, et cetera, I do have my own eyes and criteria that I’m looking for when I watch a prospect.

I respect anyone on the forum that actually watches a prospect and formulates their own opinion even if we differ on our takeaway. The lamest thing I see around here is when people copy and paste some “scouting report” off some website as if it speaks for itself as in “meh, I don’t like Player X, he has stiff hips [inserts cut n’ paste scouting blurb].”

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

This is all true.

And it is another reason why the forum GMs here shouldn’t whine and moan as much as they do when the Cowboys draft someone they don’t like.

I state my opinion on a player, but ultimately I try to give the team the benefit of the doubt because they have more resources and experience than I do.

kskboys

Reaction score
Willis = Josh Brown = Randy Gregory = Greg Hardy = Lawrence Phillips = Albert Haynesworth

Getting the picture?

Mr_437

Reaction score
Honestly, Fam I never liked his tape...dude was getting pushed around and I was confused by all the love he was getting here. Also, he would've been drafted but the regular fan doesn't know all the stuff dude had going on from college to college.

Hailmary

Reaction score
And that, my friends, is why none of you are getting paid to evaluate and draft players.

Many of you would have embarrassingly overdrafted Willis in the third, but apparently his value was actually an UDFA. You guys would have wasted a third round pick.
Eh, we're just parroting all the draft publications and a good deal of them had him as a late day two, early day three prospect.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The way you guys bad mouthed him in the months leading up to this draft, I hope you're happy with yourself.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He has serious character issues and teams didn't want to deal with them.
He supposedly was late to meetings at the Combine and missed a couple of team visits with "personal" issues that didn't go over all that well with the clubs.