What's Wrong With Using a 2006 3rd Rounder On...

mperfection

Reaction score
USC DT Manuel Wright in this year's supplemental draft??

As I see it, the Cowboys will have 3-4 major draft needs next year (in this probable order):

1st Rd: WR
2nd Rd: OL
3rd Rd: DT or FS
4th Rd: Traded away to Filthy in the '05 draft (so that we could move up and grab Canty)
5th Rd: FS or WR or OL
6th Rd: OL or DL

If the aforementioned is indeed representative of our draft order for next year, would we be well served in grabbing Wright in this year's supp draft??

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
He didn't start in College

He has no 3-4 experience

We have great depth on Dline

Are we not out a #4 already next draft?

Makes no sense to go there - I'd take him in the 6th if on the board. These players always fade in supp drafts.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
If the Cowboys like him, I don't see anything wrong with it. I just boils down to: Do they think he's worth a third rounder?

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I don't know much about this guy but he's sounding more and more like hype to me as opposed to a promising prospect.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
From everything I've heard and Read he was projected to be a late first to early second round prospect next year. Now considering he didn't get that experience to make the first two rounds I'd say he's a late third early forth now. Since we don't have a fourth right now I'd say its unlikely we do this unless we plan on trading someone we currently have for DP's to make up for this pick.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mperfection said:

As I see it, the Cowboys will have 3-4 major draft needs next year (in this probable order):

1st Rd: WR
2nd Rd: OL
3rd Rd: DT or FS
4th Rd: Traded away to Filthy in the '05 draft (so that we could move up and grab Canty)
5th Rd: FS or WR or OL
6th Rd: OL or DL

If the aforementioned is indeed representative of our draft order for next year, would we be well served in grabbing Wright in this year's supp draft??
In truth nothing, but Miami is going to offer a 2nd for him. No one will top that price.

mperfection

Reaction score
Nors said:
And yet--all things being equal--he's projected to be a first day pick in the '06 draft. Go figure, huh?

Nors said:
He has no 3-4 experience
And your point is, exactly??

Nors said:
It stands to reason that he at the very least could replace Carson.

Nors said:
I suggested using a 3rd rounder, as our 4th was traded to Filthy in this year's draft.

Nors said:
Makes no sense to go there - I'd take him in the 6th if on the board. These players always fade in supp drafts.
If he is as promising as billed, he and Ratliff could potentially make a nice duo at backup DT and gain some much needed experience as we build our youth.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I'll be stunned if Saban spends his second on him.

He can't start in College I truly question a top 50 pick overall on him.

mperfection

Reaction score
Hostile said:
In truth nothing, but Miami is going to offer a 2nd for him. No one will top that price.
What is the draft order (if any) by team in the supp draft?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mperfection said:
What is the draft order (if any) by team in the supp draft?
Teams submit a blind bid. In other words Dallas could submit a claim on him in the 4th round. That would mean they would give up their 4th next year. If a team submits a bid in the 3rd round they trump the bid. If teams submit the same round, say the 3rd, then it goes to the team with the worst record from the previous season and all tie breakers apply.

mperfection

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Teams submit a blind bid. In other words Dallas could submit a claim on him in the 4th round. That would mean they would give up their 4th next year. If a team submits a bid in the 3rd round they trump the bid. If teams submit the same round, say the 3rd, then it goes to the team with the worst record from the previous season and all tie breakers apply.
Gracias!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
mperfection said:
And yet--all things being equal--he's projected to be a first day pick in the '06 draft. Go figure, huh?

And your point is, exactly??

BULL**** ALERT - HE'S ALL THAT HE GOES FIRST ROUND IN SUPP DRAFT!
It stands to reason that he at the very least could replace Carson.

CARSON IS ALREADY REPLACED.....

I suggested using a 3rd rounder, as our 4th was traded to Filthy in this year's draft.

WHY PISS AWAY A 3RD WITH OUR 4TH ALREADY GONE?If he is as promising as billed, he and Ratliff could potentially make a nice duo at backup DT and gain some much needed experience as we build our youth.

RATLIFF, FERGUSON, GLOVER - WE ARE MISSING ANOTHER NT INDEED - DON'T NEED THIS BACKUP FROM USC
He's there late day 2 - go for it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mperfection said:
You're welcome. This kid has very good skills but was a bit of a head case in college. He didn't ever reach his potential because he simply did not want to be in college I think. At times could be a Leon Lett type talent because he has unreal physical skills.

Miami is very high on him and they need DT help.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
mperfection said:

Well, for one thing, I'd never use a 3rd round pick on a guy who has a problem getting and staying in shape... this suggests a lack of the requisite work ethic...

For another thing, the Fins will likely snap him up in the 3rd round at the latest, meaning the Boys would have to invest a 2nd rounder on him if they really, really wanted him...

Nope, next year's draft class looks quite deep at DT...

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Let Miami take him in 2.

I bet he's at best a Day 2 late pick but as we are stocked on Dline and thats least of our 06 draft needs I protest taking a 3rd on the kid with our 4th already gone.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Nors said:

He has no 3-4 experience

Yeah, the Iggles have our 4th, and we have their 6th...

There's only 2 players I'm interested in-- WR Roscoe Crosby, I'd go as high as a 5th rounder on him, and CB Charles Ealy, I'd take a flyer on him with a 7th round pick (the guy's 210 pounds, runs a legit 4.45 40, that's worth a look)...

mperfection

Reaction score
Hostile said:
You're welcome. This kid has very good skills but was a bit of a head case in college. He didn't ever reach his potential because he simply did not want to be in college I think. At times could be a Leon Lett type talent because he has unreal physical skills.

Miami is very high on him and they need DT help.
Understood.