What's Wrong With Using a 2006 3rd Rounder On...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Yeah, the Iggles have our 4th, and we have their 6th...

There's only 2 players I'm interested in-- WR Roscoe Crosby, I'd go as high as a 5th rounder on him, and CB Charles Ealy, I'd take a flyer on him with a 7th round pick (the guy's 210 pounds, runs a legit 4.45 40, that's worth a look)...
I agree with you on Crosby. I'd like to acquire him.

mperfection

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Yeah, the Iggles have our 4th, and we have their 6th...

There's only 2 players I'm interested in-- WR Roscoe Crosby, I'd go as high as a 5th rounder on him, and CB Charles Ealy, I'd take a flyer on him with a 7th round pick (the guy's 210 pounds, runs a legit 4.45 40, that's worth a look)...
Is Crosby REALLY worth a look-see, let alone using a draft pick??

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mperfection said:
In my opinion yes he is. He is a raw talent, no doubt about that, but you're talking really low risk and potential great reward.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
mperfection said:

Obviously, I think so... the guy's over six feet tall, in the 215 pound range, runs a 4.45 40, and every scouting report I've read says he has soft hands...

He had good, not great, stats his freshman year, then chose to pursue a baseball career... but he's still only 22, and while he'd obviously be quite raw, he looks like a worthwhile gamble to me... but no earlier than the 5th round...

mperfection

Reaction score
Hostile said:
In my opinion yes he is. He is a raw talent, no doubt about that, but you're talking really low risk and potential great reward.
If this is true, how much veracity can there be in any potential interest in him from the Cowboys?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
mperfection said:
If this is true, how much veracity can there be in any potential interest in him from the Cowboys?
I haven't read that we have any. If we do I am obviously quite happy.

JBond

Reaction score
Well, he tried to play baseball. I'd say it's a lock we take him.

Eskimo

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Obviously, I think so... the guy's over six feet tall, in the 215 pound range, runs a 4.45 40, and every scouting report I've read says he has soft hands...

He had good, not great, stats his freshman year, then chose to pursue a baseball career... but he's still only 22, and while he'd obviously be quite raw, he looks like a worthwhile gamble to me... but no earlier than the 5th round...

The other interesting thing about him is that he out-benched the DT Wright. Great size, speed and strength - if he has the desire, could be a great blocker at WR. I think he had some experience returning kicks at Clemson his Freshman year.

He has more upside than any WR we currently have on the roster. I wouldn't mind spending a 5th-7th rounder on him. At the same time, I wouldn't be heart broken if we passed on him.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
He's likely to drop to the 3rd or 4th round after his disappointing workout. Nobody is going to spend a 1st or 2nd on him ... there are far too many serious and worrisome question marks about him.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I think your priorities are a little off.

Wide Receiver is no doubt our biggest draft priority. It's the last piece of a youthful offense that we really need to get in place. We've ignored receiver for too long. But after that Defensive tackle is our biggest priority. We need a young nose tackle to be the future of our teams 3-4. I woudn't mind getting Manuel Wright for like a 5th round draft pick. I don't know if he would last that long though. But that really has nothing to do with the 3-4, as I really don't think he is a 3-4 tacke. I'm just about getting potential, especially when we don't have to pay through the roof for it. Same reason why I would like to get Crosby.

Offensive line is hardly something we need to address in the draft next year. At least not with a high pick.

We have Rogers (2nd), Peterman (3rd), Johnson (2), and even Gurode (2nd) who could still come around. Beyond that we still have Adams, Rivera, and Allen.

We might want to draft a tackle in 2007, but we're set at center, and set at guard for the next few years.

I woudn't mind getting a free safety if there is a good one in the 3rd round.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
The other interesting thing about him is that he out-benched the DT Wright. Great size, speed and strength - if he has the desire, could be a great blocker at WR. I think he had some experience returning kicks at Clemson his Freshman year.

He has more upside than any WR we currently have on the roster. I wouldn't mind spending a 5th-7th rounder on him. At the same time, I wouldn't be heart broken if we passed on him.

Crosby was supposed to have a second workout yesterday, after cramping up and cutting his first workout short... I'll be intrigued to see what kind of numbers he put up...

I don't know that I agree with you about him having more upside than any receiver on the roster, though, I have been quite high on Patrick Crayton ever since I read that he scored no less than FORTY touchdowns as a senior in college (passing, running, returning punts, returning kickoffs and even receiving)... now admittedly, that was at a fairly low level of competition, but he certainly demonstrated the same big play potential that he thrilled us all with when he caught that late TD to beat the Skins the 2nd time around...

Natedawg44

Reaction score
If you compare Wright to the type of player we signed in the offseason and drafted. No Way he's even close to the type of player we want. High Character and Productive is something I've never read in any of his Bios. I bet Ireland, Parcells and the staff aren't even considering it an option.

StateCollegeCowboy

aka BostonCowboy
Reaction score
Hostile said:

Although I do realize the logic in what you are saying, we have been doing the low risk/high reward method for quite some time on these unproven players in the late rounds and have really nothing to show for it. When Hunter is the best we have from the past 6-7 years, you really have to start questioning if it is worth it.

This past draft, we drafted productive players who have held thier own in the college ranks. I don't know if they will turn out better than how we have been drafting previously, but it can't be any worse... only time will tell I guess.

Who knows, maybe our current coaching staff can actually harness some of this untapped talent. Crayton may have the best chance to buck the trend as of right now.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
We have no worries about DT next year, we'll have good ole Willie Blade back next year !

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
The team is woefully short on NT depth if they want to play the 3-4, but I don't think this guy is the answer.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
StateCollegeCowboy said:
Although I do realize the logic in what you are saying, we have been doing the low risk/high reward method for quite some time on these unproven players in the late rounds and have really nothing to show for it. When Hunter is the best we have from the past 6-7 years, you really have to start questioning if it is worth it.

This past draft, we drafted productive players who have held thier own in the college ranks. I don't know if they will turn out better than how we have been drafting previously, but it can't be any worse... only time will tell I guess.

Who knows, maybe our current coaching staff can actually harness some of this untapped talent. Crayton may have the best chance to buck the trend as of right now.
No guts, no glory.

Was Cris Carter worth it? I still wish we had made an offer for him when he came out.

Those willing to risk all in a gamble usually end up winning more than conservative players.

Eskimo

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Crosby was supposed to have a second workout yesterday, after cramping up and cutting his first workout short... I'll be intrigued to see what kind of numbers he put up...

I don't know that I agree with you about him having more upside than any receiver on the roster, though, I have been quite high on Patrick Crayton ever since I read that he scored no less than FORTY touchdowns as a senior in college (passing, running, returning punts, returning kickoffs and even receiving)... now admittedly, that was at a fairly low level of competition, but he certainly demonstrated the same big play potential that he thrilled us all with when he caught that late TD to beat the Skins the 2nd time around...

I like Crayton, too, but his upside is probably as a good #2 WR. He is inexperienced, and has only average size and speed. His hands have looked good so far and based on history there is a chance he could be a good runner after the catch.

OTOH, Crosby came into college as the top-rated HS WR and proceeded to have a spectacular finish to his freshman season. He has since been lost to the football world but his athleticism is both unquestioned and uncoachable. Remember, this is not the case of some stiff college defender that we are trying to convert into a WR - this is a guy with natural WR skills and great athleticism. No one on this roster meets that description.

If the Cowboys were truly interested in him, we should have the insiders advantage compared to the rest of the league - we got Woody Dantzler on our roster - his college QB during his freshman year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, please explain to me how this kid starts, as a freshman, over upper classman, Mike Patterson (1st round selection Philly) and Shaun Cody (2nd round, 37th overall, Detroit)? To use this as justification is rediculouse. I am not saying we should use a 3rd on him but I am saying that it is ludicrous to say that because he didn't start as a freshman, he isn't worthy of that kind of selection.

This kid has undeniable talent. This is a young 6-6 300 pound DT that basically dominated a very strong, very physical Michigan OL. He whipped those boys and that's saying something. He basically went up against Dave Bass, the first pick of the second round in this years draft.

Experience is a definate issue with this kid but I have not read anywhere that said he had character issues. If that is the case, then OK. That's not what I've seen. Grades are this kids issue. He played in 11 games for USC in one one year. In those 11 apperances, he made 23 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, two sacks and 5 hurries. He deflected 2 passes and recovered 2 fumbles. That is not bad for a guy with limited play.

This kid has talent and I agree with Hos. Risk/Reward is there, IMO, for this kid.

SmellsLikeTuna

Reaction score
Guaranteed Miami will not use a 2nd round pick on Wright!! Most likely no team would, and if it were it would be a team like the Patriots or Eagles who are highly likely to be picking at the very bottom of the draft again next year.

Also, Miami walked out of his workout, so I would be very surprosed if they bidded anything higher than a 4th on him.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds like he's got Willie Blade issues. Doesn't this sound similar?

From John Clayton's latest article

Wright has rare ability for a defensive tackle. It's his "Wow" factor. Wright has that incredible first step that a defensive tackle needs in the NFL. Whether he's 290 or 329 pounds, Wright can take that first step and blast past a blocker before he's set up. Few pro tackles have that gift. Wright has it.

The "Wow" factor, though, can be a blessing and a curse. The blessing is the ability that makes him a top prospect. The curse is that teams know he has that ability and wonder why it hasn't produced consistent results.

Defensive tackles may go 20 or 30 plays without a tackle. But with one quick step and a fast rush, a defensive tackle can turn a subpar game into a highlight tape. Wright can make that one spectacular tackle. But he knows he needs to do it more consistently. If he can find a way to do that three or four times in a game, he's a star.

"Manny is really a mystery," said Mississippi coach Ed Orgeron, Wright's former defensive coach at USC. "In the pros, you don't know if you are getting an All-Pro or not. He can be an All-Pro. He could also not make it. I think he needed two more years in school because he would have been one of the most dominating defensive linemen in football. Now, it's kinda scary. A team is really rolling the dice."

Orgeron gave Wright tough love at USC. He had no problems with Wright as a person. Their battles were more over his weight and work ethic. Wright's weight could fluctuate between 290 and 320 pounds, numbers that didn't mean much to him because he had that great first step.

"I played at 325 pounds last season," Wright said. "It's not a big deal. Football is a heavy man's game. But as the season goes on, my weight came down."

Orgeron disagrees.

"[When] I saw at his workout he was 329," Orgeron said. "That's too big for him. When he was at 287 or 290 pounds, he was really quick. I remember when he came in at 327, he was fat and out of shape. He's not a bad kid. He's not a mean kid. Sometimes, his attitude is very, very immature. His success in the NFL will depend on his support system. If he has a good support system, he will do well, but he will need that."

No one questions the talent. Orgeron speaks very highly of Wright's raw skills. He compares Wright to former Seahawks defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy.

"Even though Wright is 6-5, he plays low to the ground like Cortez," Orgeron said. "He's powerful and quick. Like Cortez, he has great upper body strength. He has that great first step like Cortez. He's quick off the ball. He has a tremendous club with his hands. He's very savvy."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2106749