What's Wrong With Using a 2006 3rd Rounder On...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Sounds like he's got Willie Blade issues. Doesn't this sound similar?

From John Clayton's latest article

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2106749

I don't know that I would go that far. Blade was lazy, IMO. This kid just has issues with weight. Blade was not a naturally strong guy. He needed to improve his strength. This kid has natural strength. Somebody will get with him and maximis his talents. To be honest, he sounds like a heck of a DE prospect at 290. I think he'll have to play at somewhere in the area of 310 to 320, as a DT, in the NFL either way.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
StateCollegeCowboy said:
Although I do realize the logic in what you are saying, we have been doing the low risk/high reward method for quite some time on these unproven players in the late rounds and have really nothing to show for it. When Hunter is the best we have from the past 6-7 years, you really have to start questioning if it is worth it.
Exactly... Gambling on potential is what netted us Tony Dixon, Derek Ross, Antonio Bryant, Quincy Carter, and Willie Blade, among others, and set us back for years. Call me crazy, but I say we stick with the plan of drafting smart, hard working, productive college players like we've done since Parcells arrived.

And as to what the risk would be if we "just" used a third rounder on him and he busted, how about passing on the next Jason Witten or Stephen Peterman when it's our turn to draft next year?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
If we blow a day 1 pick on this kid I'll be pissed off. We are already out #4 NEXT YEAR.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Exactly... Gambling on potential is what netted us Tony Dixon, Derek Ross, Antonio Bryant, Quincy Carter, and Willie Blade, among others, and set us back for years. Call me crazy, but I say we stick with the plan of drafting smart, hard working, productive college players like we've done since Parcells arrived.

And as to what the risk would be if we "just" used a third rounder on him and he busted, how about passing on the next Jason Witten or Stephen Peterman when it's our turn to draft next year?
Normally I agree with you CL. On this I am going to disagree. I'm not advocating reaching on anyone in the Supplemental Draft. If you find a player with a 5th round or later pick, that's not a reach. That's a payoff.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
If we blow a day 1 pick on this kid I'll be pissed off. We are already out #4 NEXT YEAR.
There's no need to worry on Wright Nors. He'll go to Miami.

Relax.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Dallas does get back a 6 from Filthy in 06 from the Canty trade. Would that be worth burning on one of these guys? Personally, I don't think so, but it would be much more palatable than an earlier pick.

My guess is that the team doesn't make a move.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Normally I agree with you CL. On this I am going to disagree. I'm not advocating reaching on anyone in the Supplemental Draft. If you find a player with a 5th round or later pick, that's not a reach. That's a payoff.
Oh, fifth round? Works for me. Either him or Crosby. :)

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
There's no need to worry on Wright Nors. He'll go to Miami.

Relax.

I'm not sold he goes to Miami

Look at teams that accumulated picks - I see the Eagles a player in this derby.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nors said:
I'm not sold he goes to Miami

Look at teams that accumulated picks - I see the Eagles a player in this derby.

I've heard Filthy as well. That is a situation that bears watching. I doubt they keep all their rooks from this year. Might be able to get a cast off that is pretty decent from them.

Tristan

Reaction score
Philly has the advantage of picking Pattersons brain about Wright. I think with the potential we are developing adding a Young huge talented DT and a WR with potential first round "Skills" would be worth a third and a fifth, IMO. We have a perfect situation for both of them by having solid veterans to patiently groom them behind.