What's your all-too-early grade thus far?

cristglo

Reaction score
I have to say C and that is being generous right now. McCoy is an upgrade because of what we paid and Yes he is better then the injured Collins even if he is 31. Resigning Brown who was horrible last year Well was just down right horrible, lol We downgraded at CB.
Counting on Gregory could be fatal we held onto him and so far we got how many games from him last year??
Tagged Dak but what if he doesnt sign his tender and this goes into the season?? Not working out with the team during off-season we seen what it did to Zeke.
Cooper did make this team better but this last year he was hurt and disappeared in games.
I think that resigning Lee was a descent move because he would be a great BU and we still dont know whats up with LVE.
Keeping our Long Snapper was a good keep.
I dont want to go into the draft needing a starting Safety,Starting CB DL help a WR to replace Cobb.
It would be nice to go after another TE like Ebron a Safety and a WR before draft comes around.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't expect them to do much more with either DE or CB. Maybe downroster backups, then go to the draft willing to take DEs and CBs.

I'm expecting them to be drafting corners, but I hope that they do something tonaddress that DE spot. I'm not all that thrilled with this year's prospects at that spot.

I'm hoping that they talk to Everson Griffen with the money that they ticketed for Robert Quinn.

nobody

Reaction score
Solid C so far. They're losing far too much talent for the draft to make up for alone, and they don't seem too quick on the free-agent draw to make up for it either...this was on top of needs they had before.

But, a couple of the things they done so far on top of a coaching-staff cleanup keeps them from dropping lower at this point.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
A solid C. Could be a C-.

The signing of our own thing is nice until you realize they were all part of last year's failure.

The only outside influence they have introduced is Gerald McCoy.

Sorry, it is going to take more to impress me.
Right there with ya. C

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Looks of good comments so far.

I'll give them a C+ so far, can move to a B- if and when I hear that Gregory can officially play this year and I see him at the star working out.

I'll move that to a solid B when Crawford is cut.

B+ if they give Dez a tryout.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
So let me get this straight.......... a guy who hasn't played in 2 years and still might not even be ready to play in 2020 is an upgrade over a guy who had one of the best pass rush rates in football last year (granted he was blah against the run)?

That's some serious optimism right there.
No amount of herb will make him lose that freakish first step; granted that was Quinn's one major strength. I hear your point though, I could see Gregory starting off fine but hitting a wall mid season, nothing prepares you for that type of stamina. Would rather they sign a stop gap to let them rotate.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I agree with many

Solid C

Plus: McCoy; tagging Dak and Coop coming back

Minus: There were many vet CBs and S we could have looked at and brought in. Pattern looks familiar where we don’t look outside our guys. Ones that have had the same system for a bit. I’m not saying you break the bank but I’m a believer in new blood and new perspectives

Swagger

Reaction score
We will have to draft well in the secondary.

Losing Byron Jones will hurt the defense. People will realise how much attention he actually drew when they see us getting gutted apart unless we draft a stud.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Solid C we are barely holding serve at this point . We must actually improve the team for me to grade higher not just hold what we got .

After watching the Ravens get Campbell and Brockers I was deflated there is a move we should have made to fix our porous run defense . They got run over by Henry and made effort to fix it .

Cards get Hopkins for a Johnson and a ham sandwich WTH with that guy we wouldnt lead the league in drops . A bit disgusted with our moves at this point .
Sheesh lost Quinn and have to depend on the fate of dope testing to get another pass rusher of equal talent maybe , after letting Taco a high draft pick with obvious potential as displayed in miami get away because of differences with a washed up coach we no longer employ .

Suffice to say Im not thrilled over at this point But hey we replaced Collins with McCoy SWELL!!!

quickccc

Reaction score
so far i give it a C+
-and that's only because we tagged Dak which was a given, we were forced to overpay for Cooper which i remain leery of long ter wise.

-we signed up McCoy is 32 years old who is more of a band-aid stop gap than a long term cornerstone for years to come. it could be one year deal.

-and hear come the usual fillers... including re-signing anthony brown, joe looney, darian thompson, and JAG maurice cannaday - these are just depth and special teams guys

-and we lost a top notch pass rusher, a top notch coverage guy..and a top notch slot WR, we've more taken a step BACK in a run for SB ..instead of a step FORWARD, imo.
-and if you don't get your impact deals early in first 2 days, more likely you wont get that big help in FA. and all of the top edge pass rushers are off the board and there's
aging Everson Griffin and overrated Clowney left in FA.

zack

Reaction score
B+. Players that aren't here, needed to go. I bet that Lewis has a better season that Jones does. He's been around the ball a lot more than him. Still chance they sign more to round out this team.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm expecting them to be drafting corners, but I hope that they do something tonaddress that DE spot. I'm not all that thrilled with this year's prospects at that spot.

I'm hoping that they talk to Everson Griffen with the money that they ticketed for Robert Quinn.

Seems good. Too good for the money he's been making. But I don't see them bringing in a guy that keeps Gregory off the field, and I don't see a guy coming off a Pro Bowl looking to be a backup.

I think the plans for Quinn were prior to seeing how the CBA would (?) let Gregory come back and stay back.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems good. Too good for the money he's been making. But I don't see them bringing in a guy that keeps Gregory off the field, and I don't see a guy coming off a Pro Bowl looking to be a backup.

I think the plans for Quinn were prior to seeing how the CBA would (?) let Gregory come back and stay back.

I hope not!

You don;t make plans with and rely on unreliable players. The Cowboys would be fools to base any decisions they make on Randy Gregory, if he even comes back at all.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
They suck at free agency and sit back because they cannot evaluate football talent correctly. Hence, “we like our guys”. C-

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I hope not!

You don;t make plans with and rely on unreliable players. The Cowboys would be fools to base any decisions they make on Randy Gregory, if he even comes back at all.

Gregory's unreliability all emanated from rules for pot that no longer apply. There's probably still some elevated risk, but I expect them to want to start him if he's here, which makes bringing in a guy who will certainly want to start a no go.

I'm not entirely sure he's off the hook given the new CBA, but the team must know. Who they do and don't talk to will give us a hint.

Under your assumptions about the lack of reliability in Gregory, I'd be all for that guy, but I don't share your assumptions, and I doubt they do too.