What's your all-too-early grade thus far?

kumizi

Reaction score
C-

Lost Byron, Quinn, Cobb, Heath.

Gained McCoy.

Need a #1 CB, starting safety, and #3 WR at the very least and probably another pass rusher. Can't go into the draft with all four needs unaddressed.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They took a pretty big step with McCoy.

A roughly equivalent starter to replace Collins. DT should still be a high priority, but we don't have to handcuff ourselves to getting a day one starter. Very nice signing.

Assuming, of course, that he's on a normal *gradual* glide path winding down his career. Sometimes these free agent signings turn out to be duds. Thornton.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
C-

Lost Byron, Quinn, Cobb, Heath.

Gained McCoy.

Need a #1 CB, starting safety, and #3 WR at the very least and probably another pass rusher. Can't go into the draft with all four needs unaddressed.

I see us more than willing to go with what we've got for starters at CB. Awuzie, Lewis, Brown. We'll probably sign guys to develop, but not reach.

While we need a WR#3, I don't see that as a big need. I expect Pollard to be the 5th man on offense in the base. We need a veteran WR#3 to be able to back up Cooper and Gallup. A 3rd down possession WR. Those kind of vets are easy to come by, and Jerry has been thinking about one in the shower. I think we've got something in Smith. Time to see about Wilson.

No noise at all about SS, even with the GOAT gone. Thompson was initially awful, but got a little better. We need a veteran whe can start. They're so weird about SS. Will they ever get serious about it? We need a lot more than another Iloka.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
My too early grade is a C. The Dallas "powers that be" are too timid to take appropriate action.

It's well past time for them to show true spirit or quit. Any team can remain stagnant. That's us.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gregory's unreliability all emanated from rules for pot that no longer apply. There's probably still some elevated risk, but I expect them to want to start him if he's here, which makes bringing in a guy who will certainly want to start a no go.

Not for me it doesn’t. There’s not even a guarantee even applies for or is granted reinstatement.

I'm not entirely sure he's off the hook given the new CBA, but the team must know. Who they do and don't talk to will give us a hint.

Under your assumptions about the lack of reliability in Gregory, I'd be all for that guy, but I don't share your assumptions, and I doubt they do too.

I think the ‘assumption’ is on Gregory.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A roughly equivalent starter to replace Collins. DT should still be a high priority, but we don't have to handcuff ourselves to getting a day one starter. Very nice signing.

Assuming, of course, that he's on a normal *gradual* glide path winding down his career. Sometimes these free agent signings turn out to be duds. Thornton.
McCoy will have to have lost quite a bit to be roughly equivalent to Collins. Let’s hope that isn’t the case. Thornton was never close to McCoy level, so I don’t see him as analogous.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Sure, technically free agency just started, but our team, and the entire league, has made plenty of moves.

Based on who's still here and who's gone, how would you grade the Cowboys so far?

I'd have to give them a B+.

While there are some names I would have liked to see, I also give them credit for keeping Prescott and Cooper. I also give them credit for keeping Forbath at kicker and Looney as a backup interior lineman.

And I think the McCoy signing was an inspired steal.

Still work to be done, but I have to say they've gotten off to a good start.

What say you all?

Incomplete. For me Dak must be done. Then the draft. I could ding them for Cooper’s contract but I will wait. The FA signings so far will have little impact beyond this season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Incomplete. For me Dak must be done. Then the draft. I could ding them for Cooper’s contract but I will wait. The FA signings so far will have little impact beyond this season.

My own grade dropped a bit after today’s signings and Cowboys inactivity.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
McCoy will have to have lost quite a bit to be roughly equivalent to Collins. Let’s hope that isn’t the case. Thornton was never close to McCoy level, so I don’t see him as analogous.

Thornton was my example of a dud, not of a guy at the McCoy level. Thornton was a dud relative to the quality backup level we signed him to be. McCoy may be a dud relative to the quality starter level we signed him to be.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not for me it doesn’t. There’s not even a guarantee even applies for or is granted reinstatement.

I think the ‘assumption’ is on Gregory.

There's no quarantee either way. We fans aren't in a good position to know. The team is.

I put it at 70% Gregory is back, but that's mainly from uncertainty about the CBA. The team should have a much better grasp of the outcome either way. *IF* they think he's back, they'll pencil him in as the starter. If the don't think he's back, they'll be looking hard at DEs.

Haven't heard anything about them looking at DEs since the CBA was signed. Odd if they're not planning on Gregory.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don’t see much of a difference. Just filling the roster . If you’re talking coaching. Only time is going to tell so I don’t know about that either for me.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Strong C+

I like the Looney, Lee and McCoy deals. All steals.

I like to think if I was a GM I would have paid Amari, because I would have let Zeke walk, because I wouldn’t have drafted him in the first place. But that doesn’t really apply here.

With that being said idk how great of an idea it is to have mega contracts at QB, RB and WR. I guess we’ll see, and “see” rhymes with C. Or doesn’t rhyme, they’re literally pronounced the same way. I’m no English major.

So C+.

RS12

Reaction score
Strong C+

I like the Looney, Lee and McCoy deals. All steals.

I like to think if I was a GM I would have paid Amari, because I would have let Zeke walk, because I wouldn’t have drafted him in the first place. But that doesn’t really apply here.

With that being said idk how great of an idea it is to have mega contracts at QB, RB and WR. I guess we’ll see, and “see” rhymes with C. Or doesn’t rhyme, they’re literally pronounced the same way. I’m no English major.

So C+.
Regarding the three contracts, it isn't. At least at this point they are only tied to the WR for two years and the QB for one.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thornton was my example of a dud, not of a guy at the McCoy level. Thornton was a dud relative to the quality backup level we signed him to be. McCoy may be a dud relative to the quality starter level we signed him to be.
And he may not be.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Age-related worry?

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Need to see a defensive end and corner signed before the draft..........................C+ as of right now.