What's your favorite Taco Sauce/Salsa from a jar?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I've never heard of pepper based salsa, to be honest. It sounds amazing, and I assume it doesn't get watery, like tomato salsa.
Any salsa can get watery if left to settle, but yes- this one is less so.

Pepper based salsa just means that the main ingredient is the pepper, not tomato with peppers and onions etc., so you get a different taste.
A bit more old school... a bit more what the poor people used to make as peppers were cheaper than tomats, but this one just happens to be my fave.

Really it's just up to you and your tongue in the end.

One man's meat can always be another man's poison.

Edit: I'll send you a "jar" too. Might as well make the trip to the post office more productive.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Pepper based salsa just means that the main ingredient is the pepper, not tomato with peppers and onions etc., so you get a different taste.
A bit more old school... a bit more what the poor people used to make as peppers were cheaper than tomats, but this one just happens to be my fave.

Edit: I'll send you a "jar" too. Might as well make the trip to the post office more productive.
I appreciate that, but then I'd have to buy chips, and I don't need to add any more junk food. But thank you!

Last edited:

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
f32a8366-7d17-4948-821e-308287d1df21_1.1b5a85d0eceb541c3340bf10f6a7cab4.jpeg

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

There was an old school taco joint in my hometown whose "salsa verde" was pepper based, no tomatillos. Had some heat to it, but fantastic flavor and paired perfectly with their carne guisada tacos.

Creeper

Reaction score
I used to buy the Paul Newman's medium salsa in a jar. The seems like the freshest. But now I make my own.

For taco sauce, I would go with the Ortega. It works, But I honestly do not eat tacos more than 3 times a year.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
The only store I go to is the dang Walmart down the road a few minutes, but they have “Mateo’s gourmet salsa” which is pretty good. Very flavorful and heavy on the garlic and cilantro, much more so than most store bought salsas. The medium is pretty good but the hot has a nice habenero kick. Made in Texas.

catiii

Reaction score
I really like Julio's.

or Tascosa
a7a1f0288e68fbbc48eb2f900a83fb83_large.png
JULIOS WAS $2.04 at HEB ALL YEAR UNTIL 3 MONTHS AGO WHEN IT'S PRICE SHOT UP TO $3.50 JAR. No mas Julios para mi.
Now I buy the jars of El Tucan from Mexico for $1.27 each. 5 flavours all totally awesome. Food inflation is just crazy. Sometimes I see 25% price rises in a month on some items.