When can we get out of the Lawrence deal?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For those contract experts...……...when can we get out without much dead money? Didn't they just restructure his deal?
His salary is guaranteed for 2020 and 2021.

A restructure just gives the player most of the salary for the upcoming season as an immediate bonus.
- It does not change the total amount the player gets paid.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke looks great this year, even better than 2018-19 in my opinion. Leaner and quicker. Lawrence looks to have cashed out when he cashed in, and Smith looks like he'll simply never play up to his contract, just based on his limitations.

DLaw made the tackle on the first 2 snaps of the Falcons game on hustle type plays.

I don't see a lack of effort by him.

He was never going to be right last season after not having major surgery until a month or two before the season.

He only played 28 snaps vs the Falcons due to an injury issue.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Well at least through the end of next season. 2022 still has a lot of dead cap but can spread it over 2 seasons. Hopefully he picks up his sacks, but it's not like he isn't getting pressure.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DLaw made the tackle on the first 2 snaps of the Falcons game on hustle type plays.

I don't see a lack of effort by him.

So to what do you attribute the clear decline in production?

He was never going to be right last season after not having major surgery until a month or two before the season.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but his sack number declined last year the further removed he got from offseason shoulder surgery, did they not? If so, that refutes the shoulder as an excuse.

He only played 28 snaps vs the Falcons due to an injury issue.

I hope things get better with him. I truly do. Better for him, better for the team, better for us fans.

But he is undeniably underperforming to the level he is being paid.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
True, both what I viewed as positives at the time. Boy oh boy was I wrong. I am still baffled by how on gawds green earth Jaylon looked so good in 2018.
vs Atlanta, Smith did have 8 solo, 5 assists, and 1 pass defensed.
Just thought I would share that because I know a lot of posters here prefer the stats.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think Smith is far worse than Elliott's.
I worded that incorrectly. My bad.

I should have been more clear. Not based on performance, but structure.

When you're guaranteeing a salary in March, not for the upcoming season, but the one after THAT, it's a bad structure.

Lawrence and Elliott are like that. Smith is not.

The 2021 salaries of Elliott and Lawrence were guaranteed when they weren't cut in March 2020, at which point their 2020 salaries were already guaranteed....so 2021 was basically guaranteed also, unless they wanted to pay them for not playing in 2020.

I'm proud of Elliott for thinking he has something to prove and is playing like it, but last year was different.

Funny how Lawrence (although it doesnt seem to be a secret Nolans scheme may not work well for him) has had similar "wanting it" problems to Elliott.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but his sack number declined last year the further removed he got from offseason shoulder surgery, did they not? If so, that refutes the shoulder as an excuse.

I hope things get better with him. I truly do. Better for him, better for the team, better for us fans.

I'm not a big fan of DLaw's personality. I would jump at the chance to criticize him if/when it is deserved.

I'm not going to use 2019 as a basis to judge him. Players don't get healthier as the season goes along.
- He had major surgery very close to the beginning of the season due to the contract issue.
- That not only meant that he was playing while recovering from the injury...
- It also meant that he could not lift in the offseason and probably not much during the season.
- His game is based on leverage/power more than speed. He wins with upper body strength and technique combined with decent quickness and timing of his moves.
- A shoulder injury is a much bigger issue for his style of pass rusher than for a guy like Robert Quinn or DWare that can just beat OTs with speed.

That leaves this season as a basis to really judge him.

Rams
The defense put a big focus on stopping the run in the Rams game.
- They were playing more 3-4 often with 2 NT types on the field together (Poe and Woods).
- The Rams passing game was focused on short passes including screen passes and QB roll-outs.
- All of that combines to really limit pass rush opportunities.
- The Rams only had 269 yards passing which is below average for them.

Falcons
The Cowboys gave the Falcons a short field 4 times in the 1st half.
- Once the Falcons were up a couple of scores due to the Cowboys turnovers, they could play conservatively.
- At that point the Falcons were not forced into situations that put them at high risk of the QB being sacked.
- DLaw only played 28 snaps (about 1/3rd of the total) in this game.

DLaw is very good against the run.
- Last season Quinn got sacks but was a huge liability in run defense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not a big fan of DLaw's personality. I would jump at the chance to criticize him if/when it is deserved.

I'm not going to use 2019 as a basis to judge him. Players don't get healthier as the season goes along.
- He had major surgery very close to the beginning of the season due to the contract issue.
- That not only meant that he was playing while recovering from the injury...
- It also meant that he could not lift in the offseason and probably not much during the season.
- His game is based on leverage/power more than speed. He wins with upper body strength and technique combined with decent quickness and timing of his moves.
- A shoulder injury is a much bigger issue for his style of pass rusher than for a guy like Robert Quinn or DWare that can just beat OTs with speed.

That leaves this season as a basis to really judge him.

The facts do NOT support your contention here. His best production came closer to his shoulder surgery, not further away from it.

Rams
The defense put a big focus on stopping the run in the Rams game.
- They were playing more 3-4 often with 2 NT types on the field together (Poe and Woods).
- The Rams passing game was focused on short passes including screen passes and QB roll-outs.
- All of that combines to really limit pass rush opportunities.
- The Rams only had 269 yards passing which is below average for them.

No arguments here.

Falcons
The Cowboys gave the Falcons a short field 4 times in the 1st half.
- Once the Falcons were up a couple of scores due to the Cowboys turnovers, they could play conservatively.
- At that point the Falcons were not forced into situations that put them at high risk of the QB being sacked.
- DLaw only played 28 snaps (about 1/3rd of the total) in this game.

DLaw is very good against the run.
- Last season Quinn got sacks but was a huge liability in run defense.

Let's not try to downplay Quinn trying to make Lawrence look better. Sacks are what defensive ends are judged by. They're only minimized when our guys aren't getting them.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The facts do NOT support your contention here. His best production came closer to his shoulder surgery, not further away from it.

No arguments here.

Let's not try to downplay Quinn trying to make Lawrence look better. Sacks are what defensive ends are judged by. They're only minimized when our guys aren't getting them.
Wrong.

Players don't get healthier as the season progresses.

The Cowboys #1 problem by far last season was run defense.

I know that you have a need to find players to hate. Go for it.

Maybe try actually reviewed some games and try learning how football actually works instead of complaining about things the 5th grader next door to me can complain about because he also got sucked into a narrative based on what he has heard.

FYI: Tyrone Crawford has played the most snaps of the interior DLinemen...

Creeper

Reaction score
Realistically, we’re probably looking at 3 more years. Here’s a good link to his contract details:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/demarcus-lawrence-14443/

We have to see where the cap goes. $19 million dead money after 2022 might not be that bad, or, if they are strapped it could be deadly. Either way, if Lawrence continues to be unproductive for the next 2 years while getting paid $21 million each year, no one but Lawrence will be happy about that. But by all means, don't sign any overpriced free agents, Stephen Jones.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wrong.

Players don't get healthier as the season progresses.

No, you're "Wrong". You want to use the shoulder as an excuse when the FACT is that his numbers got WORSE the further he was recovered FROM IT. You're not winning this one. Your argument is not supported at all by facts. Yiu want to try to have it both ways and you can't.

The Cowboys #1 problem by far last season was run defense.

Where are the facts supporting this claim?

I know that you have a need to find players to hate. Go for it.

Valid, supported criticism isn't "hate". But it's clear that your attempted defense of Cowboys players has you worked up. To the point of trying to invent excuses.

Maybe try actually reviewed some games and try learning how football actually works instead of complaining about things the 5th grader next door to me can complain about because he also got sucked into a narrative based on what he has heard.

Ooh! You ARE worked up, having to resort to this route now! Maybe you should pitch another fit and put me on Ignore because I say things that you can't handle?

CWR

Reaction score
vs Atlanta, Smith did have 8 solo, 5 assists, and 1 pass defensed.
Just thought I would share that because I know a lot of posters here prefer the stats.

He is the king of stats. Its a matter of making the tackle seven or eight yards down the field though. Then swiping lol. Honestly I was betting on Jaylon this year. I haven't seen those impact plays we paid for though.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
He is the king of stats. Its a matter of making the tackle seven or eight yards down the field though. Then swiping lol. Honestly I was betting on Jaylon this year. I haven't seen those impact plays we paid for though.
Thank you for recognizing...
stats mean squat... nada.

kskboys

Reaction score

DLaw has had 2 good years and 4 subpar years. I base it on him being a decent player, but not great. And he's working on year 5 of subpar years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DLaw has had 2 good years and 4 subpar years. I base it on him being a decent player, but not great. And he's working on year 5 of subpar years.

I think that he 'played the game' perfectly, and benefitted greatly from other Cowboys mistakes.

If Greg Hardy wasn't a mental midget, the Cowboys have another pass rushing option outside of Lawrence.

For example, if Randy Gregory wasn't suspended more than he was available, the Cowboys have another pass rushing option outside of Lawrence.

If the Cowboys correctly drafted TJ Watt rather than the Taco debacle, the Cowboys have another pass rushing option outside of Lawrence.

He had his best seasons in contract years, and cheap son made things worse by waiting to sign him. If you recall, they tagged him before the market exploded with deals for Mack and Aaron Donald and ended up paying much more. (As they will with Dak).

Lawrence played well when it mattered most and has become distracted and full of himself since he's gotten paid. He's still a good player, but he's being paid to be great.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think that he 'played the game' perfectly, and benefitted greatly from other Cowboys mistakes.

If Greg Hardy wasn't a mental midget, the Cowboys have another pass rushing option outside of Lawrence.

For example, if Randy Gregory wasn't suspended more than he was available, the Cowboys have another pass rushing option outside of Lawrence.

If the Cowboys correctly drafted TJ Watt rather than the Taco debacle, the Cowboys have another pass rushing option outside of Lawrence.

He had his best seasons in contract years, and cheap son made things worse by waiting to sign him. If you recall, they tagged him before the market exploded with deals for Mack and Aaron Donald and ended up paying much more. (As they will with Dak).

Lawrence played well when it mattered most and has become distracted and full of himself since he's gotten paid. He's still a good player, but he's being paid to be great.
I think the mistake was signing him at all. In no way was he worth 20 mil per. I would've let him sit.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I think the mistake was signing him at all. In no way was he worth 20 mil per. I would've let him sit.
You may be right.
You know? It's funny. I watched him and his technique was so spectacular I truly thought his game would age well.
And then that shoulder surgery happened...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Like I said, he was definitely the beneficiary of poor decisions made elsewhere. Tyrone Crawford as well. Both of them have made tens of millions because of the Cowboys screwing up with other decisions more than what they themselves did.

kskboys

Reaction score
Like I said, he was definitely the beneficiary of poor decisions made elsewhere. Tyrone Crawford as well. Both of them have made tens of millions because of the Cowboys screwing up with other decisions more than what they themselves did.
Very true.

This org has been plagued for over 25 years now by odd drafting and failure to surround good players w/ talent.