When can we get out of the Lawrence deal?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very true.

This org has been plagued for over 25 years now by odd drafting and failure to surround good players w/ talent.

They can't draft pass rushers to save their lives, that's for sure. I'm hard-pressed to think of another position where they've done so poorly with such significant draft investments.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So to what do you attribute the clear decline in production?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but his sack number declined last year the further removed he got from offseason shoulder surgery, did they not? If so, that refutes the shoulder as an excuse.

I hope things get better with him. I truly do. Better for him, better for the team, better for us fans.

But he is undeniably underperforming to the level he is being paid.
Im waiting until we get deep into the season to see if there are any real concerns with his sack production. Last year, he was elite in terms of pass rush win rate and double team rate. He just didnt finish sacks like he did the previous two year and 2015. It happens sometimes to rushers where they have down years in sack totals by do well in pressures. Freeney was famous for it earlier in his career

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They can't draft pass rushers to save their lives, that's for sure. I'm hard-pressed to think of another position where they've done so poorly with such significant draft investments.
We dont draft them high that often. Since Parcells took over, only 5 edge rushers in the first two rounds. Out of those 5. 3 have had 10 sack seasons.

They just dont put the assets into the position as they should

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the mistake was signing him at all. In no way was he worth 20 mil per. I would've let him sit.
They should have either extended him or traded him on the first tag. After Taco, they didnt have much of a choice after the second tag.

They had a second round grade. If they weren't that high on Watt, they should have been more agressive going after a pass rusher they wanted. Even at the expense of a Lewis. However, I think that player would have been McKinley. Either, they should have either committed earlier, or planned on moving him earlier

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We dont draft them high that often. Since Parcells took over, only 5 edge rushers in the first two rounds. Out of those 5. 3 have had 10 sack seasons.

I'm referring to the entire Jerry Jones era.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Knocking off the Boise State crush would seem to solve a good portion of the problem.

Jerry must like the way the field looks.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Maybe Jerry felt a little sad after Carver, Pittman, Ekuban and Ellis.

J12B

Reaction score
For those contract experts...……...when can we get out without much dead money? Didn't they just restructure his deal?

I believe they restructured Lawrence and T. Smith's deals right before the season began.

I expect both to be on the roster next year.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe Jerry felt a little sad after Carver, Pittman, Ekuban and Ellis.
Ellis would have been good for a late 1st, definitely not top10. Especially considering we passed on Moss

IIRC Ekuban did have a couple decent years in Denver

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need another D Ware................

TJ Watt was sitting there, begging to be a Dallas Cowboy. And that's a fact.

But we listened to an archaic defensive coordinator over the scouts trained to actually scout talent.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Looks like Lawrence will stay next year. Before the year 2022 is when he could realistically be cut.

So, next year might be his last.

Section446

Reaction score
We'll be having the same thread if they screw up and sign Dak to a long-term deal.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Would have been a year earlier if we didn’t waste a franchise tag on him before giving him to a long term deal. Franchise tags are terrible.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Not until AFTER the 2021 season when Lawrence's 2022 cap hit will be $27M with $19M in dead money, thereby creating an $8M in cap savings by cutting or trading.