CFZ When Dak and Amari Played Together

plasticman

Reaction score
Prior to the 2018 trade for Amari Cooper midway through the season, Dak Prescott's QB rating was 87.4 and the Cowboys record was 3-4. The Cowboys would use Amari to go on a 7-2 run to end up 10-6.

Dak and Amari played in 43 regular season games together. Dak has a combined passer rating of 103.5 in those games. If that were his career number then he would be the 3rd highest rated QB in NFL history behind only Mahomes and one tenth of a point behind Aaron Rodgers.

He completed 68% of his passes with a TD/INT ratio of 3.3 to 1.

Last season, Dak's passer rating was 91.1, almost down to the passer rating he had in the first half of the 2018 season prior to Amari's arrival.

This past season, Dak's TD/INT ratio was 1.5 to 1, cut by more than half from where it was when Amari was a Cowboy.

I'm not saying that this was the only factor in Dak's drop in efficiency and I realize that passer ratings aren't the "tell all" stat when it comes to evaluating quarterbacks.

However, should this information be ignored, disregarded?

Jerry has a history of replacing highly productive players that reach free agency with minimal value draft picks and free agents. His has never been successful, in fact, it is typically the opposite and results in a complete disaster.

Jerry thought he could replace the record holder for most rushing yards in a season, DeMarco Murray with a big mouth, no talent Joseph Randle. He thought he could replace Amari with a rookie 3rd round pick and low-production oft injured free agent.

Now Zeke is gone and, yes, I agree, his productivity had declined sharply. However, do the Cowboys even have another RB capable of producing Zeke's numbers from last season? just as it was in Amari's case, Jerry's solution is a low draft pick and a no-name veteran.

At this point how much trust has this franchise's management earned?

plasticman

Reaction score
In Zeke's last 50 carries he had something like 90 yards. Easy to replace. Not to mention, he is a terrible center.
Rushing for 1 yard TD's will tend to lower the average. He did that twice in his last 50 carries

Zeke was placed in more short yardage situations like the redzone or on 3rd and short.

However, you are confident that the rookie free agent will have no problem getting those yards....

I'm not defending Zeke, I'm just wondering if anyone remembers what it was like in short yardage situations before Zeke. I'm not sure some do.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
You're putting too much credit on Zeke for those short yardage successes and ironically it decreased drastically the last several years due to the weaker OL. It is the OL that Zeke was running behind in 2016 which was All World and then began crumbling piece by piece as did his yardage. As did Zeke's health and incentive. So not worried that Zeke is gone, time for new blood anyway. The OL is what needs to improve.

T-RO

Reaction score
Prior to the 2018 trade for Amari Cooper midway through the season, Dak Prescott's QB rating was 87.4 and the Cowboys record was 3-4. The Cowboys would use Amari to go on a 7-2 run to end up 10-6.

Dak and Amari played in 43 regular season games together. Dak has a combined passer rating of 103.5 in those games. If that were his career number then he would be the 3rd highest rated QB in NFL history behind only Mahomes and one tenth of a point behind Aaron Rodgers.

Last season, Dak's passer rating was 91.1, almost down to the passer rating he had in the first half of the 2018 season prior to Amari's arrival.

This past season, Dak's TD/INT ratio was 1.5 to 1, cut by more than half from where it was when Amari was a Cowboy.

I'm not saying that this was the only factor in Dak's drop in efficiency and I realize that passer ratings aren't the "tell all" stat when it comes to evaluating quarterbacks.

Jerry has a history of replacing highly productive players that reach free agency with minimal value draft picks and free agents. His has never been successful, in fact, it is typically the opposite and results in a complete disaster.

Jerry thought he could replace the record holder for most rushing yards in a season, DeMarco Murray with a big mouth, no talent Joseph Randle. He thought he could replace Amari with a rookie 3rd round pick and low-production oft injured free agent.

Now Zeke is gone and, yes, I agree, his productivity had declined sharply. However, do the Cowboys even have another RB capable of producing Zeke's numbers from last season? just as it was in Amari's case, Jerry's solution is a low draft pick and a no-name veteran.

The Amari decision was disastrous. But c'mon.

The Cowboys get an A+ for letting go of Murray at that point. The guy then got signed by the Eagles to a five-year contract, where he ran for 3.6 YPC. The Eagles punted on him after just one year. BTW...McFadden was the replacement.

That Eagles signing of Murray was the biggest debacle in the offseason that year. 5-year, $42 million, LOL.

Zeke is Captain Replaceable at this point.

DanA

Reaction score

The Cowboys get an A+ for letting go of Murray at that point. The guy then got signed by the Eagles to a five-year contract, where he ran for 3.6 YPC. The Eagles punted on him after just one year. BTW...McFadden was the replacement.

That Eagles signing of Murray was the biggest debacle in the offseason that year. 5-year, $42 million, LOL.

I'd laugh if we didn't do exactly the same thing with Zeke 5 or so years later

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Prefer the $10.9m CAP saving that can be used to plug in season injuries in the roster.

Replacement level production..... taking the 9ers game in isolation, Deuce would have gained more yards against a 4 man o-line and LB's sitting deep.

One of the main reasons for drafting Schoonmaker (over Torrence), is the ability to get more out of our RB2/3 via a varied and mobile/zonal running game....rather than the north/south which Zeke's now restricted to.

NotForLong

Reaction score

Apparently Jerry didn't see Cooper in the same light as you

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...hould-take-half-the-field-with-him-on-routes/

mcmvp

Reaction score

It was…Chip Kelly was a strange dude. That was when he had full reign

The OP’s point regarding Amari was spot on…Dak needed him

plasticman

Reaction score
Prefer the $10.9m CAP saving that can be used to plug in season injuries in the roster.

Replacement level production..... taking the 9ers game in isolation, Deuce would have gained more yards against a 4 man o-line and LB's sitting deep.

One of the main reasons for drafting Schoonmaker (over Torrence), is the ability to get more out of our RB2/3 via a varied and mobile/zonal running game....rather than the north/south which Zeke's now restricted to.
Deuce would have been watching the game on TV like the rest of the practice squad players.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

it shouldn't be ignored. what Amari did is open up the offense. defenses had to pay him attention and it took away the defense from other players. Amari was good, made his catches, but demanded attention. I am not surprised at those ratings. when you only have on WR and the rest are Jags, then the defense can easily plan and take away that player and force you to go to the other WRs, which often are easily taken out of the game. that's why in today's NFL being 3 deep at WR with at least a competent WR is key. Brown was the 3rd WR last year. a 4 year veteran, when given opportunities and playing time, could only muster 500 yards.

Not saying Dak wasn't at fault, he is less than perfect. he is a good QB, not elite, thus he needs the support around him to have the team succeed. all you have to do is see Jalen Hurts. an otherwise average QB, looked great, having the best OL, top 3 WR group, a great TE and a coach, who insisted on running the ball and they did.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I totally agree with Jerry. Many questioned why Jerry cut Amari Cooper prior to last year. Jerry explained why: "Amari Cooper should take half the field with him when he runs a route," Jones said during his weekly radio appearance, per The Athletic's Jon Machota. "A whole bunch of that defense ought to have to honor Cooper. He ought to be able to catch it in the middle when they're going with him. Others do. You throw to people that are covered all the time." Jerry also was furious with Amari's lack of effort during portions of their 1st round playoff loss to the 49ers, especially late in the 4th quarter with the game on the line. Jerry was tired of overpaying a WR who took plays off.

Ken

Reaction score
I totally agree with Jerry. Many questioned why Jerry cut Amari Cooper prior to last year. Jerry explained why: "Amari Cooper should take half the field with him when he runs a route," Jones said during his weekly radio appearance, per The Athletic's Jon Machota. "A whole bunch of that defense ought to have to honor Cooper. He ought to be able to catch it in the middle when they're going with him. Others do. You throw to people that are covered all the time." Jerry also was furious with Amari's lack of effort during portions of their 1st round playoff loss to the 49ers, especially late in the 4th quarter with the game on the line. Jerry was tired of overpaying a WR who took plays off.
Yup...I said some of this after the 49er game where it was obvious there was poor route running and they didn't afford Amari any special coverage.

People swore I was wrong about that

McMicah

Reaction score
If TP can be 2022 TP, he will have more yards than Zeke. Maybe his injury will set him back but let’s cross our fingers.

Honestly, I wonder if we will look back 5 years from now and admit Dak was just very inconsistent, game to game, year to year. Sometimes he seems to be the cornerstone of a victory. Other times (like 5x last year, including the playoff loss) it seems like he’s the weak link. Yes, he needs a supporting cast, but we have to admit that some games it’s just him.

Jarntt

Reaction score

Yes, Amari was better than what we had in 2018. But our starting WRs week 1 that year were Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson (Gallup was a rookie and Beasley was a 3rd down guy). If he didn't make us better it would have meant he wasn't very good. Adding a piece always should make you better but it doesn't mean that piece was amazing, just that it was on top of what you already had. Even adding TY last year made us better and he was a vet minimum guy.

Just stop already. What is the obsession with Amari for some of you. Amari is good, but not great. There is no place for him on this team at $20M per year to be a #2 WR and even that isn't an absolute slam dunk with our depth chart going into 2023. If he wanted to play for half that salary I'd be on board with your arguments. He has never had even 1,200 yards in a season in his entire career and he never had more than 8 TDs as a Cowboy. CeeDee last year alone beat both of those and likely does it again this year and the next year and the next year...