CFZ When Dak and Amari Played Together

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prefer the $10.9m CAP saving that can be used to plug in season injuries in the roster.

Replacement level production..... taking the 9ers game in isolation, Deuce would have gained more yards against a 4 man o-line and LB's sitting deep.

One of the main reasons for drafting Schoonmaker (over Torrence), is the ability to get more out of our RB2/3 via a varied and mobile/zonal running game....rather than the north/south which Zeke's now restricted to.
They already should have in season replacements on the roster.
What they need is that RB now. And what RB's are out there that can do what Zeke can do, and knows the system and players.

Just a matter of the contract and what Zeke is willing to settle for.

That cap $$$ will be use for players contracts extensions.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Prior to the 2018 trade for Amari Cooper midway through the season, Dak Prescott's QB rating was 87.4 and the Cowboys record was 3-4. The Cowboys would use Amari to go on a 7-2 run to end up 10-6.

Dak and Amari played in 43 regular season games together. Dak has a combined passer rating of 103.5 in those games. If that were his career number then he would be the 3rd highest rated QB in NFL history behind only Mahomes and one tenth of a point behind Aaron Rodgers.

He completed 68% of his passes with a TD/INT ratio of 3.3 to 1.

Last season, Dak's passer rating was 91.1, almost down to the passer rating he had in the first half of the 2018 season prior to Amari's arrival.

This past season, Dak's TD/INT ratio was 1.5 to 1, cut by more than half from where it was when Amari was a Cowboy.

I'm not saying that this was the only factor in Dak's drop in efficiency and I realize that passer ratings aren't the "tell all" stat when it comes to evaluating quarterbacks.

However, should this information be ignored, disregarded?

Jerry has a history of replacing highly productive players that reach free agency with minimal value draft picks and free agents. His has never been successful, in fact, it is typically the opposite and results in a complete disaster.

Jerry thought he could replace the record holder for most rushing yards in a season, DeMarco Murray with a big mouth, no talent Joseph Randle. He thought he could replace Amari with a rookie 3rd round pick and low-production oft injured free agent.

Now Zeke is gone and, yes, I agree, his productivity had declined sharply. However, do the Cowboys even have another RB capable of producing Zeke's numbers from last season? just as it was in Amari's case, Jerry's solution is a low draft pick and a no-name veteran.

At this point how much trust has this franchise's management earned?
Good thread.
I do not think they did enough to replace the Zeke n Pollard combo of 2 or 3 years ago, which, is what I wanted them to go after this offseason. Unfortunately, like a lot of fans the FO just wanted to add a compliment. Zeke was garbage last season and got numbers thru volume and TP setting him up for easy TDs, so any guy they have now can do the same or better, but they missed out on adding a RB to rival the prime Zeke/Pollard backfield.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I wouldn't have traded Amari for what they did but the biggest problem with Dak's numbers is and has always been the offensive philosophy. They never give the QB advantageous throwing opportunities because they are obsessed with trying to run the football. When you are throwing on obvious passing situations, you are going to have turnovers, regardless of who the WRs are.

The good offense are on the right, and then there's Dallas. Dak has been bailing this dumb offense out for years.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Amari didn’t kiss butt? Jerry had an issue with Amari? He gave him 100 million lol….
Had nothing to with the money, and his social skills were odd and somewhat lacking.
I think maybe he wanted to get traded to get away from jerry.
Jerry got mad about amari not getting the vac shot.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Prior to the 2018 trade for Amari Cooper midway through the season, Dak Prescott's QB rating was 87.4 and the Cowboys record was 3-4. The Cowboys would use Amari to go on a 7-2 run to end up 10-6.

Dak and Amari played in 43 regular season games together. Dak has a combined passer rating of 103.5 in those games. If that were his career number then he would be the 3rd highest rated QB in NFL history behind only Mahomes and one tenth of a point behind Aaron Rodgers.

He completed 68% of his passes with a TD/INT ratio of 3.3 to 1.

Last season, Dak's passer rating was 91.1, almost down to the passer rating he had in the first half of the 2018 season prior to Amari's arrival.

This past season, Dak's TD/INT ratio was 1.5 to 1, cut by more than half from where it was when Amari was a Cowboy.

I'm not saying that this was the only factor in Dak's drop in efficiency and I realize that passer ratings aren't the "tell all" stat when it comes to evaluating quarterbacks.

However, should this information be ignored, disregarded?

Jerry has a history of replacing highly productive players that reach free agency with minimal value draft picks and free agents. His has never been successful, in fact, it is typically the opposite and results in a complete disaster.

Jerry thought he could replace the record holder for most rushing yards in a season, DeMarco Murray with a big mouth, no talent Joseph Randle. He thought he could replace Amari with a rookie 3rd round pick and low-production oft injured free agent.

Now Zeke is gone and, yes, I agree, his productivity had declined sharply. However, do the Cowboys even have another RB capable of producing Zeke's numbers from last season? just as it was in Amari's case, Jerry's solution is a low draft pick and a no-name veteran.

At this point how much trust has this franchise's management earned?
The good news is that I think the Amari effect had to do more with the Joneses' poor planning at receiver than Amari himself. In other words, the drop-off from Amari to what we had before we traded for him and what we had after we traded him was the main reason it had such an effect on Dak.

I've often said the Joneses are reactive GMs instead of proactive GMs so they reacted this offseason (to the problem everyone else saw when they traded Cooper) by trading for a Cooper-quality receiver.

The bad news is we may see the same thing happen at RB that we saw at receiver last year. On top of what you've listed, the main player we're counting on there is coming off injury (just as Gallup was at receiver last year). Our hope is that Pollard comes back full go right away. If not, then we're relying on a cheap FA pickup, a late-round pick and a UDFA. Could turn out OK, but looks to be poor planning again.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I never liked the Amari Cooper trade. He just didn't good with the Raiders and now we know why. He gets bored after being there a couple seasons and starts taking plays off. I don't blame Jerry one bit for getting rid of him.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I wouldn't have traded Amari for what they did but the biggest problem with Dak's numbers is and has always been the offensive philosophy. They never give the QB advantageous throwing opportunities because they are obsessed with trying to run the football. When you are throwing on obvious passing situations, you are going to have turnovers, regardless of who the WRs are.

The good offense are on the right, and then there's Dallas. Dak has been bailing this dumb offense out for years.

When your second receiver for part of the season is Noah Brown, you're going to want to hand the ball off to better weapons in the backfield.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I don't care if you have 5 Dennis Houstons at WR.

Run-run-pass is suicide for an offense.
Just saying you're going to get the ball in the hands of your best weapons. We didn't have to run-run-pass to use our best weapons, but that's too often how we chose to utilize them. I'm not sure Moore knew that screen passes weren't a gadget play that you use only on the rare occasion, especially screens to running backs.

conner01

Reaction score
Cooks numbers are similar to Coopers over the last 3 seasons.

Ronald Jones 4.7 YPC the last 3 seasons
Zeke 4.02 the last 3 seasons
There’s no RB on this roster who can’t replace what Zeke did last year
Davis had more YPC than Zeke though I know it’s different when you carry the ball more but Zeke has steadily declined. He was a great back but that back is not the back he is today
He’s just too slow to the LOS now

conner01

Reaction score
I don't care if you have 5 Dennis Houstons at WR.

Run-run-pass is suicide for an offense.
The easiest time to pass is early downs
The easiest time to run is when they are forced to cover run and pass
Sometimes you have to be able to run when they know you are running but you can’t do that for 60 min and be successful

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The easiest time to pass is early downs
The easiest time to run is when they are forced to cover run and pass
Sometimes you have to be able to run when they know you are running but you can’t do that for 60 min and be successful
No you do not.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not to mention the times he pulled himself out in a big spot because he was tired
not tired allegedly he had that foot thing, planter whinisitus.. :muttley: wasnt practicing much if at all and that with the C thing turned the FO off to him.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
If TP can be 2022 TP, he will have more yards than Zeke. Maybe his injury will set him back but let’s cross our fingers.

Honestly, I wonder if we will look back 5 years from now and admit Dak was just very inconsistent, game to game, year to year. Sometimes he seems to be the cornerstone of a victory. Other times (like 5x last year, including the playoff loss) it seems like he’s the weak link. Yes, he needs a supporting cast, but we have to admit that some games it’s just him.
Yep I've been saying Dak is bi-polar the last few years. Can look all world one week and a scrub the other. Can't have that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It sure doesn’t say he “sucks”. If that’s you’re attempted point, you failed.

That’s how they were listed when I looked. Point stands, he didn’t “suck” then either. Again your attempt fails.
64 yards in a must win game is good? This standard is why we haven’t won anything. Nobody ever steps up when it’s needed.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Had nothing to with the money, and his social skills were odd and somewhat lacking.
I think maybe he wanted to get traded to get away from jerry.
Jerry got mad about amari not getting the vac shot.
If Micah didn’t get the **** you think he would I’ve traded him?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
64 yards in a must win game is good? This standard is why we haven’t won anything. Nobody ever steps up when it’s needed.
How did CeeDee Lamb and the rest of the receivers do? Should they all be cut or traded as well? I’m gonna guess your answer will be different.