CFZ When Dak and Amari Played Together

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prior to the 2018 trade for Amari Cooper midway through the season, Dak Prescott's QB rating was 87.4 and the Cowboys record was 3-4. The Cowboys would use Amari to go on a 7-2 run to end up 10-6.

Dak and Amari played in 43 regular season games together. Dak has a combined passer rating of 103.5 in those games. If that were his career number then he would be the 3rd highest rated QB in NFL history behind only Mahomes and one tenth of a point behind Aaron Rodgers.

He completed 68% of his passes with a TD/INT ratio of 3.3 to 1.

Last season, Dak's passer rating was 91.1, almost down to the passer rating he had in the first half of the 2018 season prior to Amari's arrival.

This past season, Dak's TD/INT ratio was 1.5 to 1, cut by more than half from where it was when Amari was a Cowboy.

I'm not saying that this was the only factor in Dak's drop in efficiency and I realize that passer ratings aren't the "tell all" stat when it comes to evaluating quarterbacks.

However, should this information be ignored, disregarded?

Jerry has a history of replacing highly productive players that reach free agency with minimal value draft picks and free agents. His has never been successful, in fact, it is typically the opposite and results in a complete disaster.

Jerry thought he could replace the record holder for most rushing yards in a season, DeMarco Murray with a big mouth, no talent Joseph Randle. He thought he could replace Amari with a rookie 3rd round pick and low-production oft injured free agent.

Now Zeke is gone and, yes, I agree, his productivity had declined sharply. However, do the Cowboys even have another RB capable of producing Zeke's numbers from last season? just as it was in Amari's case, Jerry's solution is a low draft pick and a no-name veteran.

At this point how much trust has this franchise's management earned?
I’m just glad to see more fans realizing how much was lost when they gave Amari Cooper away last year.

Looking back on last season , it may well have been the difference between not going further in the playoffs and maybe even to the Super Bowl.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
You're putting too much credit on Zeke for those short yardage successes and ironically it decreased drastically the last several years due to the weaker OL. It is the OL that Zeke was running behind in 2016 which was All World and then began crumbling piece by piece as did his yardage. As did Zeke's health and incentive. So not worried that Zeke is gone, time for new blood anyway. The OL is what needs to improve.
A player like William Perry the Fridge could have done al lthat.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Prior to the 2018 trade for Amari Cooper midway through the season, Dak Prescott's QB rating was 87.4 and the Cowboys record was 3-4. The Cowboys would use Amari to go on a 7-2 run to end up 10-6.

Dak and Amari played in 43 regular season games together. Dak has a combined passer rating of 103.5 in those games. If that were his career number then he would be the 3rd highest rated QB in NFL history behind only Mahomes and one tenth of a point behind Aaron Rodgers.

Last season, Dak's passer rating was 91.1, almost down to the passer rating he had in the first half of the 2018 season prior to Amari's arrival.

This past season, Dak's TD/INT ratio was 1.5 to 1, cut by more than half from where it was when Amari was a Cowboy.

I'm not saying that this was the only factor in Dak's drop in efficiency and I realize that passer ratings aren't the "tell all" stat when it comes to evaluating quarterbacks.

Jerry has a history of replacing highly productive players that reach free agency with minimal value draft picks and free agents. His has never been successful, in fact, it is typically the opposite and results in a complete disaster.

Jerry thought he could replace the record holder for most rushing yards in a season, DeMarco Murray with a big mouth, no talent Joseph Randle. He thought he could replace Amari with a rookie 3rd round pick and low-production oft injured free agent.

Now Zeke is gone and, yes, I agree, his productivity had declined sharply. However, do the Cowboys even have another RB capable of producing Zeke's numbers from last season? just as it was in Amari's case, Jerry's solution is a low draft pick and a no-name veteran.

They traded for Cooks. I think they acknowledged they made a mistake in replacing him. The issue wasn’t letting go of Cooper the issue was not replacing him so in week 1 you aren’t starting Dennis Houston.

They gambled on Gallup being healthy and mentally ready to return and Tolbert to have a impact his rookie season and they were wrong.

John813

Reaction score
Problem was the way Dallas went around with the WR depth. They kept Gallup who they were betting could be at 100% last season.
They then went with Washington, a disappointment in Pitt and then Tolbert in the 3rd to provide depth. Neither did.

So, IMO Cooper was missed, cause even with his hot and cold play he was a 1B receiver that at least commanded defenses to respect him.
Last year it was CDL, Noah freaking Brown and 2 TE most of the time cause Dallas didn't have a competent #3 receiver.

Add in the further decline of Zeke didn't help either while they sat Pollard.

This offseason they traded for Cooks drafted another TE and are hoping Gallup is 100% physically and mentally.
Improvement there minus any injuries.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’m just glad to see more fans realizing how much was lost when they gave Amari Cooper away last year.

Looking back on last season , it may well have been the difference between not going further in the playoffs and maybe even to the Super Bowl.
I guess that’s something to think about but typically when the team sucks Cooper doesn’t just raise his play above everyone and stir them to victory. He typically sucks too especially in big games.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yes, Amari was better than what we had in 2018. But our starting WRs week 1 that year were Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson (Gallup was a rookie and Beasley was a 3rd down guy). If he didn't make us better it would have meant he wasn't very good. Adding a piece always should make you better but it doesn't mean that piece was amazing, just that it was on top of what you already had. Even adding TY last year made us better and he was a vet minimum guy.

Just stop already. What is the obsession with Amari for some of you. Amari is good, but not great. There is no place for him on this team at $20M per year to be a #2 WR and even that isn't an absolute slam dunk with our depth chart going into 2023. If he wanted to play for half that salary I'd be on board with your arguments. He has never had even 1,200 yards in a season in his entire career and he never had more than 8 TDs as a Cowboy. CeeDee last year alone beat both of those and likely does it again this year and the next year and the next year...
Guys have a revisionist history when someone leaves here. They forgot that Amari sucked on the road and in big games. Disturbed me that one game Garrett had to bench him in the clutch.

blueblood70

Reaction score

He lost cooper, Gallup, and ced to start the season plus new guys up front in Mcgovern and steele rapling Collins and Cwill and 77 goes down and tyler as raw rookie thrust into LT ..it was a remade offsne and oh Dak broke his hand game 1 had to come back from that,..sorry but the loss of AC alone was NOT the isuse.. it was culmination of that plus a OL that could consotently block or open holes as injuries added up..

Lost off offense and dak breaks hand
Cooper
Gallup
Turner
ced
jarwin
Cwill
Collins

please stop the cooper killed our season because we made it to the 2nd round vs the first also lost to the 9ers with and w/o cooper. it wasn't the lone issue. you forget how all that unfolded the first month of the season. Lots of changes and losses Dak had to adjust too with Moore being moore..

this season Brandin cooks does replace cooper and then a healthy Gallup makes the start much better than last year..add in Tylers going into year 2 and if we start the best 5 that is something Dak is used to up front.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess that’s something to think about but typically when the team sucks Cooper doesn’t just raise his play above everyone and stir them to victory. He typically sucks too especially in big games.
I think “sucks in big games” is an off base generalization. What specific “big games” has he “sucked” in?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
jerry getting rid of amari was mostly personal.
Jerry didnt like amari, and amari didnt kiss butt.
Jerry loves lamb personally, and decided he would replace amari with lamb.

Could be that cost them a chance to at least get to nfc champ game last season.
Who knows, maybe dallas with amari, gets the top seed and only plays 2 games at home, that would have changed things.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guys have a revisionist history when someone leaves here. They forgot that Amari sucked on the road and in big games. Disturbed me that one game Garrett had to bench him in the clutch.
Talk about “revisionist history”.

Garrett “had to bench him?”

Yeah, no.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think “sucks in big games” is an off base generalization. What specific “big games” has he “sucked” in?
Typically must win games or playoff games. I just never saw top 10 receiver play from him unless it came against the Eagles and Vikings.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Talk about “revisionist history”.

Garrett “had to bench him?”

Yeah, no.
Is that not what happened?

So I may be wrong here I guess it’s debatable. I couldn’t fathom a reason to have Tavon Austin on the field on 4th and 8 for Amari.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
jerry getting rid of amari was mostly personal.
Jerry didnt like amari, and amari didnt kiss butt.
Jerry loves lamb personally, and decided he would replace amari with lamb.

Could be that cost them a chance to at least get to nfc champ game last season.
Who knows, maybe dallas with amari, gets the top seed and only plays 2 games at home, that would have changed things.
Amari didn’t kiss butt? Jerry had an issue with Amari? He gave him 100 million lol….

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Typically must win games or playoff games. I just never saw top 10 receiver play from him unless it came against the Eagles and Vikings.
He had 64 yards and a touchdown in 2021 vs San Francisco and 171 yards and a TD in two playoff games in 2018.

I don’t think that says “sucks in big games”.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is that not what happened?
It’s true that Jason Garrett benched both Cooper and Randall Cobb for a key 4th down play.

But if you’re going to question someone, who would you choose:

Two proven receivers still performing and playing in the league?

Or Jason Garrett?

So I may be wrong here I guess it’s debatable. I couldn’t fathom a reason to have Tavon Austin on the field on 4th and 8 for Amari.
Ask Jason Garrett. The guy that’s been pushed out of the league. There can be books written about his poor decisions.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He had 64 yards and a touchdown in 2021 vs San Francisco and 171 yards and a TD in two playoff games in 2018.

I don’t think that says “sucks in big games”.
64 passing yards is not good and proves my point.

And he sucked in 2018 except against Seattle but I guess combining the stats make it look better for you?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It’s true that Jason Garrett benched both Cooper and Randall Cobb for a key 4th down play.

But if you’re going to question someone, who would you choose:

Two proven receivers still performing and playing in the league?

Or Jason Garrett?

Ask Jason Garrett. The guy that’s been pushed out of the league. There can be books written about his poor decisions.
Ok I guess it was rumors I thought it was confirmed but I misspoke it seems it was rumors that he got benched. As bad as Garrett was….that’s common sense. For him to do that he should’ve been drug tested or investigated for gambling.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
64 passing yards is not good and proves my point.
It sure doesn’t say he “sucks”. If that’s you’re attempted point, you failed.
And he sucked in 2018 except against Seattle but I guess combining the stats make it look better for you?
That’s how they were listed when I looked. Point stands, he didn’t “suck” then either. Again your attempt fails.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok I guess it was rumors I thought it was confirmed but I misspoke it seems it was rumors that he got benched. As bad as Garrett was….that’s common sense. For him to do that he should’ve been drug tested or investigated for gambling.
The man was just in over his head and never up to the job he was gifted.