When did a reception become three steps?

silvernblu

Reaction score
Oh, you know I love a good catch thread. Let's actually break out the video and ALL the rules though. My emphasis in red.

RULE 8
ARTICLE 3. COMPLETED OR INTERCEPTED PASS. A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is
complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) in the field of play, at the sideline, or in the end zone if a player, who is
inbounds:
(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
(c) after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take

an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so.
This is quite simple. You can't turn upfield until AFTER you have control and 2 feet on the ground. In the video below, at the 2nd foot down, Sheppard is already heading upfield. You can't "turn" upfield when you're already headed that way. This is just like the point I made with the Waller no fumble last Thanksgiving which no one could answer and just kept screaming malfeasance! Repeating inaccuracies don't make them true. The rules are clear, just like they were on the Dez no-catch. The "turning upfield" football move is designed for a play where a receiver stops, faces the QB and either jumps up or stays with 2 feet on the ground and then "turns" to run upfield. This clearly wasn't that. This is your answer @silvernblu . Appreciate those who ask the questions and don't just immediately jump to conspiracy victimhood.

Sheppard-INCP-R.gif
Huh? Clearly from this he turned upfield. This is clearly a catch. What am I missing?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
He made a football move after 2 feet. Does it matter that it’s part of one long move?

You can't make a football move until AFTER possession and 2 feet have been performed. If you are already heading upfield after your second foot touches down, how can you then "turn" in a direction you're already moving? This is why there are multiple examples of a football move in the rule to cover different possible scenarios.

Last edited:

droopdog7

Reaction score
No. Because it would have been ruled a catch!:D
I was thinking the EXACT thing last night. Had it been out of bounds watch it be a catch.

But in that case, the thread would still be here complaining about how that could have been ruled a catch :).