When did we become a team of individuals?

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Alexander;2368193 said:
That would be one area I would target in April. Leaders and team players who get literally sick if they lose, regardless of the position. Just getting talented individuals who don't have themselves mentally squared away is not a solution.

Totally agree.

It's too often overlooked.

I realize talent is important, but the personnel people and coaches should place a higher value on this particular intangible quality. I call it the "puke at the thought of losing" characteristic.

That's one reason the Mike Jenkins selection worried me because his college coaches admitted that he needs to pushed. That's a red flag, IMO.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
RainMan;2367724 said:
When did we become a team of individuals?

Probably the minute the Hard Knocks cameras started filming.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Boysboy;2368202 said:
Now wait a minute-you said that injuries derailed our (promising) '05 season.

Now you're saying our current injuries are no excuse?

You can't have it both ways.

LOL.

That was a young team in transistion. We lost guys for the season.

When you have poor play at rg, an overmatched rookie at rt and then lose your left tackle it is a problem. Throw in your only other outside linebacker in al singleton...fujita had never played that spot in this defense. There was alot of moving parts on that team.

Its too soon to say if the injuries are hurting this team yet. 2 months from now we will know. This is a more talented team on paper than the 05 team also.

I am not trying to have it both ways, you just read things and interpret them how you want. You stalk me on here and constantly point out things I say that help your whiny parcells sucks mantra. Its very annoying.

We were more than talented enough this past weekend to beat the rams. Anyone who wants to debate that, go ahead. I take no teams lightly but there was enough players on the field to make no excuses. Especially on the defense.

Boysboy

Reaction score
theebs;2368305 said:
LOL.

That was a young team in transistion. We lost guys for the season.

When you have poor play at rg, an overmatched rookie at rt and then lose your left tackle it is a problem. Throw in your only other outside linebacker in al singleton...fujita had never played that spot in this defense. There was alot of moving parts on that team.

Its too soon to say if the injuries are hurting this team yet. 2 months from now we will know. This is a more talented team on paper than the 05 team also.

I am not trying to have it both ways, you just read things and interpret them how you want. You stalk me on here and constantly point out things I say that help your whiny parcells sucks mantra. Its very annoying.

We were more than talented enough this past weekend to beat the rams. Anyone who wants to debate that, go ahead. I take no teams lightly but there was enough players on the field to make no excuses. Especially on the defense.

I'm not disagreeing with you about the loss-I agree, even our practice squad should have beaten the Rams.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
THUMPER;2367868 said:
Jerry has "Steinbrenner's Disease", the idea that if you just bring in enough big name players you will win championships. That is NOT how football is played but Jerry still doesn't seem to understand that. He may not have it to the extent that Danny Snyder does but it is still there.

Bringing in Parcells was a good attempt at fixing the problem but BP has "old man's disease" now and wasn't willing to lead the team the way he did back in the day.

Guys like Deion Sanders, Terrell Owens, Adam Jones, etc. are talented players but they are not TEAM players and the other players on the team resent the special treatment they receive(ed). They may not come out and say that but they do. No one who is part of a team appreciates it when other players are shown favoritism or get away with stuff that they don't.

There is always a "star system" on every team where the truly talented players get a little bit more leeway but not to the extent that ours do. When Deion or Owens can "go directly to the owner" it undermines any authority the coaching staff might have had and circumvents the entire TEAM concept.

Jerry's problem is that the Cowboys are his toy. He always wanted to play in the NFL but never got the chance, now he has an opportunity to be "one of the Boys" and he is taking full advantage of it.

Initially, it was fun because his college buddy, Jimmy Johnson, was running the team and they were winning! But then their egos clashed over who was getting the credit for the success and that was the end of it. Since then, Jerry has tried to run the team and has had no success whatsoever (except for the 1995 SB which was won with mostly Jimmy's players and assistant coaches).

I am beginning to wonder if this team will ever win another championship with Jerry as the owner/GM. Not that I have lost all hope or even given up on this season, but this team is NOT living up to its talent level and that is quite demoralizing.

There, that's my rant for the morning.
:clap2:

notherbob

Reaction score
The Cowboys are a reflection of their management.

Jerry Jones likes lots of glitz and glitter and superstars and he has his perfect group of players. He doesn't understand the team concept (like the Patriots) that Parcells was trying to develop but only his own ideas, which obviously results in players who are too self-centered to buy into the team concept.

By the way, glitz and glitter = fool's gold.

Jerry's a good owner but he has a fool for a GM.

I predict that until Jerry learns to change his thinking, the results we are now seeing will be the continuing result.

A true team generates synergism; a group of individuals does not.

JMO

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
notherbob;2368415 said:
The Cowboys are a reflection of their management.

Jerry Jones likes lots of glitz and glitter and superstars and he has his perfect group of players. He doesn't understand the team concept (like the Patriots) that Parcells was trying to develop but only his own ideas, which obviously results in players who are too self-centered to buy into the team concept.

By the way, glitz and glitter = fool's gold.

Jerry's a good owner but he has a fool for a GM.

I predict that until Jerry learns to change his thinking, the results we are now seeing will be the continuing result.

A true team generates synergism; a group of individuals does not.

JMO

Well, the early 90s teams were chock full of superstars, except they seemed to understand the team concept and played more disciplined football. So, I'm not so sure your theory applies.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2368441 said:
Well, the early 90s teams were chock full of superstars, except they seemed to understand the team concept and played more disciplined football. So, I'm not so sure your theory applies.

Jimmy Johnson as HC with full control over his staff vs. Wade Phillips with Jerry meddling and hiring half the assistants.

That's the difference.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Bach;2368458 said:
Jimmy Johnson as HC with full control over his staff vs. Wade Phillips with Jerry meddling and hiring half the assistants.

That's the difference.

I see you're still going with the anti-Jerry angle, and that you still haven't learned that you can't have it both ways.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Bach;2368458 said:

That's the difference.

Jerry has done a heck of a job as a GM since BP got here.

The only bonehead move he made was bringing in Pacman and dont forget most of you Clowns were all for that move.

Jerry isn't the reason we are losing.

Talent isn't the reason we are losing.

Offensive and Defensive schemes aren't the problem either.

Its all about the leadership of our HC and QB.

Especially the QB. When Romo has bad body language it spreads like a wildfire.

When Wade has the "its no big deal" mentality. It spreads.

The Dallas Cowboys toughest opponents are the Dallas Cowboys.

Get out of your own way Dallas. Idiots.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2368466 said:
I see you're still going with the anti-Jerry angle, and that you still haven't learned that you can't have it both ways.

I see you're still going with your typical head-in-the-sand approach.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Bach;2368481 said:
I see you're still going with your typical head-in-the-sand approach.

Nope. I'm going with the objective approach, as opposed to the "Jerry sucks in every thread post" that you go with.

switzersflask

Reaction score
CATCH17;2368470 said:
Jerry has done a heck of a job as a GM since BP got here.

The only bonehead move he made was bringing in Pacman and dont forget most of you Clowns were all for that move.

Jerry isn't the reason we are losing.

Talent isn't the reason we are losing.

Offensive and Defensive schemes aren't the problem either.

Its all about the leadership of our HC and QB.

Especially the QB. When Romo has bad body language it spreads like a wildfire.

When Wade has the "its no big deal" mentality. It spreads.

The Dallas Cowboys toughest opponents are the Dallas Cowboys.

Get out of your own way Dallas. Idiots.

Delusions--fragrances for men--in stores soon.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
THUMPER;2367868 said:
When Jimmy Johnson left. :bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

Jerry has "Steinbrenner's Disease", the idea that if you just bring in enough big name players you will win championships. That is NOT how football is played but Jerry still doesn't seem to understand that. He may not have it to the extent that Danny Snyder does but it is still there.

Bringing in Parcells was a good attempt at fixing the problem but BP has "old man's disease" now and wasn't willing to lead the team the way he did back in the day.

Guys like Deion Sanders, Terrell Owens, Adam Jones, etc. are talented players but they are not TEAM players and the other players on the team resent the special treatment they receive(ed). They may not come out and say that but they do. No one who is part of a team appreciates it when other players are shown favoritism or get away with stuff that they don't.

There is always a "star system" on every team where the truly talented players get a little bit more leeway but not to the extent that ours do. When Deion or Owens can "go directly to the owner" it undermines any authority the coaching staff might have had and circumvents the entire TEAM concept.

Jerry's problem is that the Cowboys are his toy. He always wanted to play in the NFL but never got the chance, now he has an opportunity to be "one of the Boys" and he is taking full advantage of it.

Initially, it was fun because his college buddy, Jimmy Johnson, was running the team and they were winning! But then their egos clashed over who was getting the credit for the success and that was the end of it. Since then, Jerry has tried to run the team and has had no success whatsoever (except for the 1995 SB which was won with mostly Jimmy's players and assistant coaches).

I am beginning to wonder if this team will ever win another championship with Jerry as the owner/GM. Not that I have lost all hope or even given up on this season, but this team is NOT living up to its talent level and that is quite demoralizing.

There, that's my rant for the morning.

Great post.

There is so much blame that can go around in the organization right now.

The coaches, players, and guys in office.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2368493 said:
Nope. I'm going with the objective approach, as opposed to the "Jerry sucks in every thread post" that you go with.

Right, blame everyone but the main cause. gotcha.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Bach;2368530 said:

Let's assume I implied anything even remotely similar to that.

Right. Give credit to everyone except the main cause. Jerry has 3 SBs as a GM. How many do you have? How many do other comparable GMs have?

Oh yeah, that's right. They belong to Jimmy. Nice hypocrisy. Gotcha.

Smith22

Reaction score
Bach;2368530 said:

You mean the guy who owned us during that Superbowl run in the 90's? Wait, I know, that doesn't count because Jimmy was here right? If I remember correctly, he also brought in guys like Deion and Haley, who weren't exactly known as team players......

Keep beating the dead horse...........