When did your favorite show Jump the Shark?

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
No MASH theories?
It was really based on Vietnam:D
Married with Children: when the kids became adults into their 20s, and same with Urkel in Family Matters when he became taller than the entire cast.
Archer: when they stopped being a "spy agency"
Simpsons: when every show had a celebrity guest..stuck with it until season 10 or so.

Last edited:

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Married with Children: when the kids became adults into their 20s, and same with Urkel in Family Matters when he became taller than the entire cast.
Simpsons: when every show had a celebrity guest..stuck with it until season 10 or so.

I was a kid when family matters was on, and never loved it, but it went really far down hill towards the end. It almost became some weird campy sci-fi show with Urkel turning into stephon and had all the robots. I think even time travel was invoked.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I was a kid when family matters was on, and never loved it, but it went really far down hill towards the end. It almost became some weird campy sci-fi show with Urkel turning into stephon and had all the robots. I think even time travel was invoked.
I didn't particularly like the show either tbh and unf you are correct in those plot lines I'm pretty sure. There's a Key and Peele skit about Family Matters that touches on the that ridiculous stuff they were doing on that show but has language etc. I was a kid too around that time and was part of that Friday night TV package w/Step by Step, etc. Simpler times :)

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Good rule is when Ted McGinley is added to the cast

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
You are correct in that the show did take a nose dive in terms of quality, but can't help from still liking Jefferson's over the top vain/slimeball personality. The standard conflict was the up-tight counterpart with Steve and was much more believable. It def became more of a cult following audience towards the end but had classics like No Ma'am (predicted some stuff there socially down the line) where Jefferson would hide/change his shirt to Yes Ma'am when Marcey showed up :laugh:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You are correct in that the show did take a nose dive in terms of quality, but can't help from still liking Jefferson's over the top vain/slimeball personality. The standard conflict was the up-tight counterpart with Steve and was much more believable. It def became more of a cult following audience towards the end but had classics like No Ma'am (predicted some stuff there socially down the line) where Jefferson would hide/change his shirt to Yes Ma'am when Marcey showed up :laugh:
Steve Darcy was the classic straight guy

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score

No way. The jump the shark was when they added Seven. Ted McGinley was the start of the no ma'am era of married with children. This is by far and away my favorite TV show of all time. My ring tone for the last 5 years is Love and Marriage. There is a pretty clear cut off from the original writers who left around the time that steve was written out they then went almost into a Wile E. Coyote stage for Al. I will say that Married with children could be re-released right now and the general topics they covered are still relevant and funny.

Did you know the opening scene showing him pull on to the high way is a scene that was borrowed from National Lampoons vacation.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
No way. The jump the shark was when they added Seven. Ted McGinley was the start of the no ma'am era of married with children. This is by far and away my favorite TV show of all time. My ring tone for the last 5 years is Love and Marriage. There is a pretty clear cut off from the original writers who left around the time that steve was written out they then went almost into a Wile E. Coyote stage for Al. I will say that Married with children could be re-released right now and the general topics they covered are still relevant and funny.

Did you know the opening scene showing him pull on to the high way is a scene that was borrowed from National Lampoons vacation.

Right there with ya and like the FX style/Wile E. direction they took it after the "standard; for them anyway" comedy. It was meant as a modern Archie Bunker show but Al mainly stuck to the male/female stereotypes, etc. I did enjoy both styles though. I bought all the DVDs awhile back and always end up watching the later episodes when the mood strikes over the earlier stuff; same with Seinfeld. The kids seemed just awkward in their new roles when they got older (Bud the Virgin, Kelly the easy girl/model/waitress) but they generally worked a way where Al could still be the centerpiece to make it work and would still enjoy the show.

Last edited:

timb2

Reaction score
CHIPS-when Larry Wilcox(Jon Baker)left and replaced with that BLONDE talking Ken doll as Poncharello's new partner.

One Day at a Time when Makenzie Phillip's husband decided to fall for sister Valerie Bertinelli as he is still married to Makenzie and everyone is cool about it.That was really grasping for straws to keep him on the show because Phillips was a druggie and a pain to the show who the director and producers wanted her gone.

NFL-jumped the shark when they wouldn't stand for the National Anthem. fans and ratings keep going down.

NBA-jumped the shark when they embraced the THUG culture with morons with prison tattoos who kept screaming about PRACTICE.

MLB-jumped the shark with that strike that no World Series was played that year. You know i really felt for those baseball prima donnas because they couldn't get out of town and could only sleep with their wives that year.They really suffered and struggled.

Pro Wrestling-jumped the shark when WWF-WWE took all the best talent from all the other territories which killed off the competition..