When does Philbin get the axe?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I wonder what he was working on with Williams around penalities? What a job he did in improving technique.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem is that Philibin has been to the top of the coaching ladder, failed, and now he is on his way down. I imagine at his age that he's over coaching and just biding his time until someone kicks him to retirement. We need a better OL coach.

Sydla

Reaction score
I can't believe they are going to bring him back.

Oh wait, I can believe it. When has Jerry ever made the right call on coaches?

People will say Nolan, but that was painfully obvious that he stunk.

TINGS21

Reaction score

We can't be making changes unless we get some ratings boost out of the deal.
He was also able to replace Nolan with someone that would draw attention to the team. Your typical Sunday only fan and media could careless and probably doesn't even know who our OL Coach is.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
He hasn't done a good job of teaching the players how to hold and get away with it...

Reactions: CWR

fivetwos

Reaction score
Coogs! You facetious dog!

I want Callahan or Columbo back!
Columbo was a bit of a scapegoat with NY IMO.

He also couldn't get some pretty high draft picks to perform up to par, or improve their game.

I'm not even close to sure why that may have been or if it had anything to do with his ability.

It may have been a petty power struggle between Judge and Garrett. Who knows from our POV?

I can certainly see how a coach may be fine working with certain types but not others.

At any rate, I dont care who they bring in, we just need to hope it works.......

Quite similar to wanting more interceptions so Al Harris was hired.

Hopefully they get it right.

fansince68

Reaction score
Actually it's the LG that is below average. But you are 100% correct. Pay Callihan a boat load of money then make him asst head coach.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Things went in the gutter after Frederick retired. I don't blame him of course, it just hasn't been replenished.

quickccc

Reaction score
Columbo was a bit of a scapegoat with NY IMO.

He also couldn't get some pretty high draft picks to perform up to par, or improve their game.

I'm not even close to sure why that may have been or if it had anything to do with his ability.

It may have been a petty power struggle between Judge and Garrett. Who knows from our POV?

I can certainly see how a coach may be fine working with certain types but not others.

At any rate, I dont care who they bring in, we just need to hope it works.......

Quite similar to wanting more interceptions so Al Harris was hired.

Hopefully they get it right.

- Who knows why it did not work out with Columbo and the NYGiants, maybe the HC (Judge Dredd) bumped heads with philosophy, development plan
and their personnel surely don’t measure up to Martin, Tyron Collins and we have here., (and Fredrick's last 2 years)

- But the very big key is we all saw what Columbo’s coaching impact did here when he took over charge of the OL unit, from fired OL coach Paul Alexander.
He put up his proven credentials with when we finished 2nd in the entire NFL with fewest sacks allowed and 5th in NFL in rushing in 2019.

- So we should know up close and personal what Columbo brings and could give this OL unit- he wasn’t an outside hire and supposedly the players respected him.

- Now what I do wonder if Columbo’s fiery demeanor makes it difficult to get along with coaches not familiar with him,. .ala McCarthy, Judge Dredd.
You just don't hear about fired, disgruntled OL coaches physically going after their HC's, and it's a reason why he's not currently on an NFL's team's coaching staff by now. ..

- Garrett was so very well familiar with Lumbo, as why JG was highly influence in hiring him onto NYG.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
All This coaching talk is somewhat white noise.

However, to me, the unit that objectively underperformed as the season went on was the oline.

Yes, the lead RB is about as agile as Mr Creosote. Yes th QB holds the ball too long sometimes. yes the C and RG may be below avg.

That said, therr were too many missed blitz pickups, stunt confusion, and holding calls. I mention the holding callas as Green Bay was supposed to be innovative in their techniques to hold and keep it uncalled. This was a major topic after 2014 and 2016 playoffs. Philbin wasn't even there for that, though

The line seems talented enough, but just looked out of sorts too often. Philbin seems to be a McCarthy family member, otherwise I don't see anything he has done since 2011 that warrants retaining him. He has pretty much washed out everywhere

I completely agree. I think our scheme does not fit our players. Too many mistakes. Simply not good enough.

Hopefully they are reaching out to some coaches and working behind the scenes on a replacement.

Finding the right coach to maximize our players would be the first step towards making progress this offseason

quickccc

Reaction score

quickccc

Reaction score
Report: Mike Munchak likely out as Broncos OL coach:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/02/report-mike-munchak-likely-out-as-broncos-ol-coach/

Via Klis, there is a different is philosophy between Munchak and new head coach Nathaniel Hackett.

Munchak’s preferred approach is gap/man schemes while Hackett favors more zone blocking. Munchak remains under contract with Denver for one more season and could theoretically remain with the team in a different role.

Ironically This looks like what apparently happened with Marc Columbo vs Mike McCarthy ... o_O

CWR

Reaction score
He hasn't done a good job of teaching the players how to hold and get away with it...

That was supposed to he a freaking GB staple. We got none of the good GB. No rub routes, no legal holding, no nothing. Smh

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm hoping he's still here because they don't know about the coordinator yet.

Section446

Reaction score
Holding people accountable for poor performance? Not the Cowboy way... I fully expect him to get a contract extension any day now.

quickccc

Reaction score

and if it was up to McCarthy having true full control, .. he would've easily brought his buddy Nolan right back for another go-season. :oops:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Nobody is nasty on the line.Where are Erik Williams,Larry Allen, even Ronald Leary type mean, nasty mauler type players.Martin and Tyron are great, don’t get me wrong, but I want some nasty attitude on the Oline.
Colombo was probably the last OL enforcer we had playing for us.