"When I'm gone, you'll never know I was here." -- Bill Parcells

MikeB80

Reaction score
Was great but also was way too conservative at times such as vs Seattle when they had a cab driver playing cb and their entire secondary was disabled.

this take is so foolish. The defending NFC champs in the loudest building in the league, the marquee game of the weekend. They played it just right. If they don't overturn witten's first down they pound it in there with barber and most likely beat chicago the next week.

Seattle was dropping 6 or 7 in coverage all game and it was a recipe for turnovers. Marc Columbo was battling a serious knee injury that should have put him on ir and they had good pass rushers still.

That crazy fumble is such a shame.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I will say this about Parcells, getting the 2003 team to the playoffs at 10-6 with Quincy Carter was some kind of witchcraft.

the kicker was they had beat them in Irving in november and had control of the game until the richie anderson fumble. After that fumble they lost momentum and once this team was behind in december and forward they couldn't come back.

The whole league thought dallas would be conservative because of the false narrative around parcells and Dallas went three wide and threw it all over the place. Once the league adjusted in november the points dried up.

Still such a fun season. The low point was the thanksgiving game and the loss at New Orleans. They should have won that new orleans game.

Gorgon

Reaction score
so dumb. The only place he coached without belichick was Dallas. He didn't win a sb with belichick in ne or the jets either.

People who downplay parcells are ridiculous.
JJ brought in TO whom Parcells detested, calling him "the Player."

GMO415

Reaction score
If another HC comes here and takes Dal to the NFC Championship game next year, the narrative will be it was with Garrett's guys.

Techsass

Reaction score
He was special. Kind of hard to question his ability when he managed to take a Quincy led team to the Playoffs. I absolutely loved his pressers.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
If another HC comes here and takes Dal to the NFC Championship game next year, the narrative will be it was with Garrett's guys.

Guys Garrett couldn't get motivated enough to beat the Jets and a banged up Philly team.

MikeB80

Reaction score
JJ brought in TO whom Parcells detested, calling him "the Player."

after 04 jerry did lots of things Parcells didn't want. It started in 04 actually when we ended up with marcellus wiley and eddie george. Then in 05 parcells basically said peerless price can't help us and then next thing you know price was on the team...same with Owens. Jerry just like Snyder once things appear to be on the rise again will always step in and force his hand. He simply can't help it.

my favorite was parcells wanting to go to california and not have training camp in san antonio again because it was awful and bad for the team...jerry told him he sold more soft drinks in san antonio than oxnard.

MikeB80

Reaction score

will it?

no one ever says that about Jon Gruden really. He was viewed as the messiah in tampa. Tony Dungy is somehow in the hall of fame so i guess it all works out.

GMO415

Reaction score
will it?

no one ever says that about Jon Gruden really. He was viewed as the messiah in tampa. Tony Dungy is somehow in the hall of fame so i guess it all works out.
This is Dal. They will always find a way to turn a positive into a negative.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
will it?

I don't think Dungy makes the HOF without his time with the Colts.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Parcells is the closest the Cowboys have come to a SB since Jimmy's team. Jerry screwed that up, too.

the bummer with parcells is that he came in and kind of said we are going to try and improve on what is here in 03 instead of tearing it down right away. had he signed jake delhomme and stephen davis like he wanted it might have paid off big time, those two with a great defense carried carolina to the super bowl instead.

the real rebuild and what he put in place started in the 05 offseason. He changed the staff up a little, he went to a run oriented physical team, switched the defense to the 3-4 and built a great roster.

I always view his time here as the rebuild of 05 and 06. 03 was so much fun in the stadium that year and 04 was the opposite but parcells stamp was put on the organization in the offseason of 05

MikeB80

Reaction score
I don't think Dungy makes the HOF without his time with the Colts.

he shouldn't have made it regardless. he had the nfl's (supposed) best quarterback, played in a dome plus a terrible division and won one superbowl.

How many guys who get kicked out of their organization because he was the problem get put into the hall of fame. I will never understand how a guy like dungy is in as a coach but Jimmy Johnson is not. Lots of coaches who never won super bowls were much better coaches imo, marty schottenheimer comes to mind.

MikeB80

Reaction score
We need a younger version of parcells

hard to find guys like that. He spent 15 years in college as an assistant before getting a shot in the nfl. Matt Rhule has a very similar background. He is going to end up in NY most likely though.