When is the last time this team put it's trust in the defense

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You have to have a truly elite defense for them to carry the team to wins single handedly without fluke plays like pick 6/Fumble return TDs. I mean a truly elite defense. IMO, you can't have that without an absolutely dominant DL and solid players in the secondary or a very good DL with an Elite FS/CB/LB combo. It's probably been decades. To be honest you rarely see that good of a defense on any of the 32 teams. In recent memory the Bears, I think around 2006-2007 led Rex Grossman to a SB and the early 2000s TB team that led Brad Johnson to a SB come to mind.

If your premise is a defense capable of being a huge factor/the main factor in a 2-3 game stretch the 2nd or 3rd year under Wade was good enough to do that. To actually depend on a defense to practically singlehandedly carry a team, even for a few games? Thats going to go way back.

its not about carrying the team. the offense scored 28 and 20 points. that should be enough to win. they just have to hold the other team for one series or one quarter and in crucial times in the 4th they have failed. we allowed them to march down the field and score a TD in the 4th. they went through like hot knife through butter. then we score and expect them to hold up in the last 30 seconds. they march down and get a chance at a field goal. in over time, two plays and its a TD. I am not looking for a bears or ravens type defense, but something respectable and consistent and that's the problem they haven't been consistent

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think defense will turn things around and it will start upfront. I think getting Hardy in the lineup along with Ro and Gregory that the defense will start creating problems for opposing offense. Right now we have backups and their backups playing that is about to change.

Kalyan

Reaction score
Not since our SB years under Jimmy. We tried really hard during Parcels years but we never had a defense that can be counted to get us stops at crucial times. It would have been nice to count on Defense to get 3 and outs on a consistent basis (Baltimore (not this year), Seatle, NE teams have this luxury)

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Been a long, long time.

I think our DB philosophy has been screwed up for a long time. I'm not particularly happy with Marinelli's performance this season, but at least he (and Kiffin) brought forth a more modern day CB philosophy of zone corners and zone coverage with man-to-man principles which requires bigger CB's that can tackle. Since the league basically allows illegal pick plays, you're not going to get as much pressure because the QB is getting the ball out of their hands in less than 2 seconds. So, you need physical corners than can jam and more importantly...tackle.

For years we were still living in the 90's with 'cover corners' who are meant to play man-to-man and go deep with WR's and we got killed for it.

Now the problem is that we still have an old school philosophy with safeties with Church playing more of a traditional in-the-box strong safety role and Wilcox (who I like) playing the hard hitting FS role. As much as I like Wilcox, I think we need much more range at FS and obviously more at SS. And you need these safeties to be darn good in today's game because they have so much more responsibilities with covering big, athletic TE's, WR's and RB's. So until we can get our safeties to perform well (and stay healthy), I don't see us having a reliable defense.

YR

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Since I am a defense guy and enjoy defenses more than offenses, for a long time now I am waiting to use the "Doom Day Defense" phrase again, and I am still waiting.. When can we have a top 5 defense or even THE top defense?

:cool:

Agreed...

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
When is the last time this team had a defense it could trust?

Man I had to laugh out loud in pain... It's truly sad! Hopefully we can begin to turn things around starting this week with Hardy, Mclain and hopefully Sean Lee on the field.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
When your offense is as lame as this one is now, it's easy to trust the D -- there's no alternative. -- lol

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man I had to laugh out loud in pain... It's truly sad! Hopefully we can begin to turn things around starting this week with Hardy, Mclain and hopefully Sean Lee on the field.

We've made strides on defense and certainly that should improve even more getting our guys back. They are capable of playing a great game but are they at the trust level yet? Where you can hang your hat on your defense keeping you in games every week for a lackluster offense? I don't think so.

But yeah....with Brandon Weeden.....go defense. It's our only hope.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Our
and i dont see it happening unless we change the safeties, get rid of carr, add a young lb, and get some size in the middle.

Our linebackers are relatively young: hitchens mcclain lee and wilson