When Jimmy didn't let them eat on the plane

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All I knew was that I absolutely loved those Miami teams he put together before he came to Dallas. They were brash, talented, and played like their hair was on fire. I desperately wanted him to bring that to Dallas.

Nobody could know the future, of course, but I loved the way his teams played.

Sure enough, he did bring it to Dallas.
Urban Meyer?

He coached NFL talent in the NCAA all day long.

Just goes to show how fleeting it really is.

Toro9

Reaction score
Steak and lobster
The finest whiskey
The finest beer
The finest women

Take a day off (and a bunch of vitamins , do a quick work out) and chil then it's back to work on Tuesday.

Flamma

Reaction score
It's cool dude. A LOT of people were "super excited" about their NCAA coach becoming NFL coaches. Then complete failure ensued.

Jimmy was a very good NCAA coach.
Then he became a VERY good NFL coach.

It was a very rare situation.

I loved Urban Meyer as an NCAA coach. I knew he would FAIL as NFL coach. It';s just not the same.
LOL yeah, when I see a college coach come over now, I'm not expecting much.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Steak and lobster
The finest whiskey
The finest beer
The finest women

Take a day off (and a bunch of vitamins , do a quick work out) and chil then it's back to work on Tuesday.
I like your list. But the last one is singular for me. 32 years married. She is the finest.

rags747

Reaction score
So you KNEW Jimmy would bring us NFL greatness?

When SO many other NCAA coaches then and now fail.

Okay. Sure.
What I knew was that the Hurricanes were brash, loud and played in your face with a take no prisoners attitude. That’s all I needed after the final Landry years where we were so old school it was sickening. Obviously I had the right thinking because our Cowboy teams reflected that Attitude 150%! Your take obviously was quite different at the time. Sorry about that…

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I would argue the exact opposite. Every Great organization needs a General Patton, Jimmy was our Patton!
I’d say they won in spite of that outburst. That was possibly the best Cowboy team ever.

Look, Jimmy was a great coach for Dallas, but I don’t think he’s a great human at all.

rags747

Reaction score
I’d say they won in spite of that outburst. That was possibly the best Cowboy team ever.

Look, Jimmy was a great coach for Dallas, but I don’t think he’s a great human at all.
He was exactly what Dallas needed at that time. Listen, he’s a cantankerous sob and I’m sure he was not much fun to work with as Jerry will sure attest. Great human, probably better today in old age than when he was younger. Age tends to mellow people out!

shabazz

Reaction score
We've seen how old-school coaching is tolerated by the current crop.......Bienenmy expected and demanded commitment and hard work by his offense and they cried to the HC and media.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
He was exactly what Dallas needed at that time. Listen, he’s a cantankerous sob and I’m sure he was not much fun to work with as Jerry will sure attest. Great human, probably better today in old age than when he was younger. Age tends to mellow people out!
I think they could have had similar results if say… Bill Walsh was the HC

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
We weren’t allowed to talk on the bus before the game and we weren’t allowed to talk after the game on the bus if we lost. If we won it was like Lord of the Flies on the buss lol

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Sure, he won Super Bowls, but he was also a toxic, raging narcissist. Depriving people of food as punishment is a psychological torture mechanism, not a motivational tool. Some of you are just way too freaking weird for your own good.

Mark

Reaction score
The fact that Troy - as the most visible Dallas player, and de facto representative of the rest - totally bought into & embraced Jimmy's disciplinarian style from Day One was a huge factor in propagating the winning culture that brought the Cowboys three Lombardi trophies in four years.

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact that Troy - as the most visible Dallas player, and de facto representative of the rest - totally bought into & embraced Jimmy's disciplinarian style from Day One was a huge factor in propagating the winning culture that brought the Cowboys three Lombardi trophies in four years.
We've all heard the stories of how irritated Troy was with Switzer's lack of disciplin.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Jimmy throwing a tantrum like a toddler is not why the team won the title.
Didn't hurt though making the players not want to lose. Remember, that was an old squad Jimmy took over and according to guys like Irvin, full of players who were happy collecting a paycheck and a loss. Poor Landry had lost it and no one had the guts to tell him.