When Jimmy didn't let them eat on the plane

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The Cowboys didn't fall apart in the late 90s because Barry Switzer let them eat on the plane. They fell apart because Jerry took over as GM.

We are seeing this right now in New England. Bill Belichick's Patriot Way shtick isn't producing squat with a depleted roster.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Jimmy said in the video that the team being so young helped a great deal and his style probably wouldn't have worked with a more veteran team. That and having the leaders buying in made it possible.

I also remember Jimmy saying that he had about a five year shelf life with his hard nosed style.

I bet my freshman coach made Jimmy look like Santa Claus. He lost the team. Our one win that season came against the best team in the conference and we went rogue to get it. He ripped us a new one at halftime even though we had the lead. Good times....

DStar22

Reaction score
I’d say they won in spite of that outburst. That was possibly the best Cowboy team ever.

Look, Jimmy was a great coach for Dallas, but I don’t think he’s a great human at all.
Jimmy assembled that team, and he kept it going with his methodology. if you did not want to worry about winning enough to work your butt off toward it, he would send you to the "other" practice field, meaning you were gone.

he did not want players that would not self motivate and be lackadaisical "losing is ok, i got a paycheck" types.

and because of that, we won 3 superbowls with his teams.

and I watched the entire thing, so don't give me that the 3rd superbowl wasn;t his team... Switzer was a ra-ra placeholder. it was the atmosphere Jimmy left that got us through that last SB.

erod

Reaction score
Sure, he won Super Bowls, but he was also a toxic, raging narcissist. Depriving people of food as punishment is a psychological torture mechanism, not a motivational tool. Some of you are just way too freaking weird for your own good.
Oh my gosh. Dramatic much?

Depriving people of food? Lol, they skipped a meal.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Sure, he won Super Bowls, but he was also a toxic, raging narcissist. Depriving people of food as punishment is a psychological torture mechanism, not a motivational tool. Some of you are just way too freaking weird for your own good.
This is accurate. He also bullied Janis Joplin, treated his first wife horribly etc. He was abominable to the service staff on that flight.

Good coach. Not a good dude.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Didn't hurt though making the players not want to lose. Remember, that was an old squad Jimmy took over and according to guys like Irvin, full of players who were happy collecting a paycheck and a loss. Poor Landry had lost it and no one had the guts to tell him.
Troy and Michael were pissed at Jimmy over that plane incident. He clearly crossed a line.

It’s not leadership. It’s not why the team won titles. It’s just people here deifying crappy behavior that is unacceptable towards others.

Beaker42

Reaction score
What cracks me up is I remember the game he was talking about against the team we can't write on here. I, as a fan, can remember being furious due to the way we lost that game. So imagine Jimmy?

But no, you can't do that now. Half the team would be tweeting it, the other half would call their mothers. Except for Parsons.
Flamma, don’t recall that L to the R’s. What happened??

Beaker42

Reaction score
This is accurate. He also bullied Janis Joplin, treated his first wife horribly etc. He was abominable to the service staff on that flight.

Good coach. Not a good dude.
How do you know how he treated the staff on that flight?

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Oh my gosh. Dramatic much?

Depriving people of food? Lol, they skipped a meal.
It wasn't even a meal, they missed a snack on a 2 and a half hour flight. OMG !!!! Better contact the white house.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
How do you know how he treated the staff on that flight?
Read the accounts of that flight. Wannstedt urged Jimmy to call the flight attendants the next day to apologize. Jimmy didn’t. Everyone there thought Jimmy’s behavior was out of line.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
He was there in spirt? Truth is this person doesn't have a clue and is just making up stuff
“Making up stuff” lol.

I’m just repeating stuff that has been written in every book about the 90s Cowboys.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
No. I didn't know anything. That's why I mentioned I was 20. I followed college, but what did I know? I didn't have a lot of experience, and no internet. I was excited and really thought we'd have success. But through ignorance, not any real logic.
I was thrilled when Jimmy was hired because I followed him in college football as well. And since there was no internet, and I live in NJ, I relied on a Dallas Cowboy's publication that would come out weekly or bi-weekly for all the latest stories.

Surfguy

Reaction score
We’re also out of peanuts and coffee.

Cue the panicked passengers like in movie “Airplane” (too lazy to find GIF).

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
We’re also out of peanuts and coffee.

Cue the panicked passengers like in movie “Airplane” (too lazy to find GIF).
giphy.gif

;)