Where are our young speed wide receivers?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I look at the games yesterday and from the final four I really wouldn't take any of their WR units over the Cowboys except for SF.

KC has a 2nd round rookie and a bunch of scraps after him. Detroit is probably comparable to Dallas with one top guy in ST Brown and decent Cooks comp numbers wise in Josh Reynolds. Baltimore has a pretty good one in Flowers with a bunch of mediocrity behind him. SF is really the only team with a stacked WR group with both Aiyuk and Deebo.

John813

Reaction score
KC is going to it's 2nd SB without Hill, who when healthy is a legit #1 playmaker HOF level talent.
They didn't get better on offense, but it's not like it has hampered them from reaching the ultimate goal.
Tons of variables of course, but just didn't expect that after he got traded and they didn't really improve the WR corps there after he left.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think one of the pitfalls some teams fall into is when they find a definitive #1 wide receiver.

While traditionally that used to be something you strive for, there are downsides to having a "star" receiver.

It seems like most teams that get that star receiver have one or two good seasons from them and then that receiver falls off performance-wise either through tighter/better coverage, injuries or offensive schemes.

In my opinion, teams that do not have a clear number one receiver have an innate advantage over other teams because they can attack with any receiver rather than focusing half of the time on one receiver when passing, which makes it harder on defenses to game plan against.

When you know for example the majority of the Cowboys offense will revolve around Lamb, the other team can scheme to stop him which makes defending the rest of the offense easier.

That is why I have said for years that I would rather have a team of good receivers that have great hands and run crisp routes than I would star and used-to-be-star receivers.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Look at all these teams playoffs. They all got much better young wr. We got cd and old cooks. Gallup trash. Turpin? Tolbert? Trash. Get some young talent at wr in here. Need 2 good one’s asap!!!
We need them but it doesn't help that the guy throwing the ball doesn't do well in pressure moments....

Mannix

Reaction score
Look at all these teams playoffs. They all got much better young wr. We got cd and old cooks. Gallup trash. Turpin? Tolbert? Trash. Get some young talent at wr in here. Need 2 good one’s asap!!!
I called our WR corp trash in August of 2022....in fact, I said they were bottom 5 in the league....and they are still trash....one (1) difference maker and that's it. And he may/may not be turning into a flake. I would have loved to see more out of Brooks....why does our trash get to stay on the field 99.9% of the time I'll never know. Green Bay for years now, plays everyone....doesn't matter how experienced they are.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Jerry likes his guys !!!!!!!!!!!! end of story! He likes where they are at and they are "CLOSE!"

Redline360

Reaction score
You have legit two 1k recievers and Ferg who was a breakout and one of the top TEs in the league. What else does Dak need? Not his fault MM couldn't figure out how to use Cooks correctly until half way through the season.

Gallup was a joke of a resigning

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Wonder what Andy Reid and Mahomes could do with all that non talent...

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Know why KC is in the Super Bowl with a "no-name" receiving corps?

Yes, Mahomes and Kelce are part of the answer. But the Chiefs defense is the best unit nobody talked about all year. Did not give up more than 27 points in any game all year. Kept the Chiefs in a lot of games even when the offense wasn't clicking. Yes, Mahomes was not perfect this season at all.

If the Cowboys had this kind of defensive support, who knows? Maybe the entire narrative about certain player(s) would be different.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I look at the games yesterday and from the final four I really wouldn't take any of their WR units over the Cowboys except for SF.

KC has a 2nd round rookie and a bunch of scraps after him. Detroit is probably comparable to Dallas with one top guy in ST Brown and decent Cooks comp numbers wise in Josh Reynolds. Baltimore has a pretty good one in Flowers with a bunch of mediocrity behind him. SF is really the only team with a stacked WR group with both Aiyuk and Deebo.
Yeah i'd for sure take Detroit and San Fran.....I would not take Chiefs and Ravens over what we have. Zay Flowers is nice. Rice is too. Ravens have a great future with Rice and Chiefs have one with Rice but they just don't have enough there.

I'm really shocked Chiefs didn't get more this season from Toney and Skyy Moore. I remember thinking with Mahomes they were going to take off. Rice didn't take any time to set it off.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Yes, Mahomes and Kelce are part of the answer. But the Chiefs defense is the best unit nobody talked about all year. Did not give up more than 27 points in any game all year. Kept the Chiefs in a lot of games even when the offense wasn't clicking. Yes, Mahomes was not perfect this season at all.

If the Cowboys had this kind of defensive support, who knows? Maybe the entire narrative about certain player(s) would be different.
I mean the Chiefs defense is great and I do think they don't get enough credit. But Lamar threw some very stupid passes that he hasn't thrown all year. He damn near gave that game up.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Our WRs are sloowwww. And have been for years. We continually draft slow players. It's ridiculous.

cald0d30s0

Reaction score

Bingo!!! The Chiefs defense is very very very good, I would say elite. They don’t give up too many points and keep their team on the game when the offense couldn’t do it.

If that was the case for Dallas we could’ve won at least two more games and maybe against Green Bay.

BKBDAD

Reaction score
My thoughts have been for a long time on the WR subject that Dak has never been very good at getting down the progression chart So those 3rd and 4th receivers don’t see many targets. The other issue is that McCarthy and Co. don’t run many plays where those guys are the 1st option which is bad scheming and it shows a lack of creativity! Cooks was absent for the 1st 1/3 of the season until he went to McCarthy and behold, he started seeing more targets! Gallup didn’t see many targets and Turpin is one of the fastest players in the leagle and is great in the open field but they didn’t scheme for him at all this past season! What a waste of a player picked up on the cheap! It goes on and on!

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Lets go pick some wide speedy receivers off the receiver tree, and say hi to Al Davis on our way there.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
It is pretty amazing how ALL of our WRs that come and go are consistently somehow locked down...even if we are going against backup scrubs.