Where does K Neal play now?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No argument on the OL, they need a day 2 OL pick in the worst way.

Glad we can agree on that. And I feel they made a mistake passing on the draft’s safest, most versatile offensive lineman falling into their laps.

I’d be careful about assuming what Dan Quinn wants to do on defense this year. He goes out to get Neal to play a DB/LB hybrid, and now brings in a super athlete in parsons. I’m not sure you won’t see some outside the box thinking. I wouldn’t line up parsons at DE 20 snaps a game, but I think people will be surprised about what he can do as a rusher. He has all the physical tools you look for. Good speed, size, and ability get a corner and flatten out to get to the qb. The guy is talented just really raw.

My issue is less with him than it is about a ridiculous amount of investment in a position group that it’s impossible to get the expected return from.

There’s no way they can ever get the appropriate level of return from what they’ve put into Smith, LVE, Neal, and now Parsons. That’s waste.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I always thought he was gonna play safety for us...it was gonna be on nickel downs where we saw him play WLB....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Glad we can agree on that. And I feel they made a mistake passing on the draft’s safest, most versatile offensive lineman falling into their laps.

My issue is less with him than it is about a ridiculous amount of investment in a position group that it’s impossible to get the expected return from.

There’s no way they can ever get the appropriate level of return from what they’ve put into Smith, LVE, Neal, and now Parsons. That’s waste.
You think they've invested a lot in linebacker?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You think they've invested a lot in linebacker?

giphy.gif

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
That doesn’t mean over investment to this ridiculous level. You know that as well as I do.

‘Water under the bridge’. Another great fan erasure line. A poor excuse attempt.

We all hope for the best, but no matter how well they play, the investments will never be justified. That’s the sad fact of it all.
Jaylon’s contract is what it is. It can’t be undone so yes, it’s water under the bridge at this point. It’s not an excuse, it’s a fact. Bad contract? Yes. But it’s there and you can’t change it. That’s the very definition of what I said.

The investment can be justified if they play great. Will they? Guess we’ll see. Everyone loved Smith and LVE three years ago. Then injuries and a crappy defensive scheme hit. Disaster. I’m hoping they can play like they have previously. I’m not going to just throw my hands up and claim it can’t be fixed. That does no good.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

And you’re probably right there, but Jaylon has been sub par the last couple years and LVE has been a walking trip to the Injury list. I’m not sure you get the value out of those two if they were the only two LBs left on earth. Sometimes you have to cut your losses and LVE and Jaylon could realistically be gone after this season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't see it. I mean obviously with Jaylon's contract yes that was a big investment but you got LVE on a rookie deal....Neal signed for what 2 million? I never bought him being a linebacker he was always going to be safety here...well that's my prediction anyway. I just saw him filling at linebacker on nickel downs.

ghst187

Reaction score
He and Parsons need to be on the field as much as possible as they will be better than any other option we have

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jaylon’s contract is what it is. It can’t be undone so yes, it’s water under the bridge at this point. It’s not an excuse, it’s a fact. Bad contract? Yes. But it’s there and you can’t change it. That’s the very definition of what I said.

It doesn’t erase it.

The investment can be justified if they play great.

No they can’t.

Will they? Guess we’ll see. Everyone loved Smith and LVE three years ago. Then injuries and a crappy defensive scheme hit. Disaster. I’m hoping they can play like they have previously. I’m not going to just throw my hands up and claim it can’t be fixed. That does no good.

That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying that based on investment they can’t possibly get the proper return. Resources will inevitably be wasted.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I don't count on lve playing more than 10 games, so we need all hands on deck.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And you’re probably right there, but Jaylon has been sub par the last couple years and LVE has been a walking trip to the Injury list. I’m not sure you get the value out of those two if they were the only two LBs left on earth. Sometimes you have to cut your losses and LVE and Jaylon could realistically be gone after this season.

Which makes either or both a bust and a huge waste of resources. That’s what frustrates me.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
In nickel, Parsons rushes and Neal and LVE play in coverage

How about Lawrence, Barmore, Gregory on the line with Parsons lining up outside. Jaylon, LVE, Kneal at LB. That covers everything.

You can rush Parsons or drop him back.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see it. I mean obviously with Jaylon's contract yes that was a big investment but you got LVE on a rookie deal....Neal signed for what 2 million? I never bought him being a linebacker he was always going to be safety here...well that's my prediction anyway. I just saw him filling at linebacker on nickel downs.

Jaylon - 34th pick overall
LVE - 19th pick overall
Neal - $5 million on a one year deal
Parsons - 12th overall

If you ‘can’t see it’, you’re trying not to.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's not the position on D I'd like to be heavy on, but a 1 year $5m deal for Neal isn't that much of an investment IMO.

There will be an injury or two for stretches of games and he will be active on passing down packages, that's fine w/ me.

Once LVE goes down it will all become perfectly clear.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree. And we usually kill the Cowboys for waiting too late to move on from guys. Whether they move on from them or not has yet to be seen but we know they got a guy in the wings waiting and is legit.

And I got a prediction....

Watch Jaylon and LVE have the best years of their career this year.....just watch. LVE will play 16 games too. All of a sudden guys get healthy and remember how to play when their job is in danger lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Jaylon - 34th pick overall
LVE - 19th pick overall
Neal - $5 million on a one year deal
Parsons - 12th overall

If you ‘can’t see it’, you’re trying not to.
So a month ago y'all claimed 5 million was "bargain shopping" but now its a heavy investment?
12th overall is a high investment
19th overall...for a linebacker I'd say that's a high investment
34th overall pick is not a high investment. Not only that it was 5 years ago.

So in my eyes I only see two high draft picks for linebacker. I don't consider that a heavy investment.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
So a month ago y'all claimed 5 million was "bargain shopping" but now its a heavy investment?
12th overall is a high investment
19th overall...for a linebacker I'd say that's a high investment
34th overall pick is not a high investment. Not only that it was 5 years ago.

So in my eyes I only see two high draft picks for linebacker. I don't consider that a heavy investment.

I disagree. I think a high 2nd is a significant investment. (Neal isn’t a significant investment IMO).

The problem is the significant investment in LBer hasn’t paid off.

But we’ve spent 2 1sts and a high 2nd on the LBer position.... and we are hoping to get one good player out of it.

I don’t have an issue with drafting Parsons because despite the resources spent on it, it’s a need, and we got the top LBer prospect. My concern is his coverage ability. If he turns out to be a great player, no one will complain about the pick. If he’s turns out like LVE or Smith, everyone will complain. Like always, it will boil down to production.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
How about Lawrence, Barmore, Gregory on the line with Parsons lining up outside. Jaylon, LVE, Kneal at LB. That covers everything.

You can rush Parsons or drop him back.

Watching the film on Parsons, I think in Nickel, he's an edge