Where is our 2019 draft class?

Mr_437

Reaction score
Pollard, McGovern and Wilson are the only ones that have something.

Cowboys got very little out of this draft.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
but that’s my point
It’s not the lack of draft capital it is poor personnel evaluation and bad decision making

Do the tally of draft value we had to spend in 2019 yourself. I think lowest since 2000. Our low draft capital in 2019 is simply a fact.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sorry, can’t agree with you
Falling in love with one player rather than picking your board is bad drafting 101
There were players like Thornhill sitting there that people wanted picked at that time (not in hindsight) that would have helped us

They listened to coaches over scouts. And it burned them. Again.

They did the same thing in 2017, and that brought them Taco. Remember him? Former 1st round pick?

Has anyone else outright released their 1st round pick from 2017 at this point or is it just us?

But sure, listen to your coaches again on draft day.

They get what they deserve.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Has anyone else outright released their 1st round pick from 2017 at this point or is it just us?
Nope - we are the only team. The only team.

Cleveland traded Jabrill Peppers, but they also had two other 1st round picks.

EDIT - Oh yeah, Reuben Foster.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They listened to coaches over scouts. And it burned them. Again.

They did the same thing in 2017, and that brought them Taco. Remember him? Former 1st round pick?

But sure, listen to your coaches again on draft day.

They get what they deserve.
Starting to look that way. I like some of the picks though.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope - we are the only team. The only team.

Cleveland traded Jabrill Peppers, but they also had two other 1st round picks.

EDIT - Oh yeah, Reuben Foster.

And Foster's off field issues were the reason for that obviously.

Taco didn't have those and was still released.

Thanks Rod!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is not an easy starting roster to crack, on paper this is a really good football team but the NFL changes quickly and once teams have film on you and find your weaknesses - they build a gameplan and tend to execute. The Cowboys defense has been a major disappointment on all levels this season, if they would just help the offense a little bit - this team would be 6-0

PS- Our 2019 first round draft pick is technically Amari Cooper and he's been pretty damn good.

Our DT rotation is bottom 3 in the league. This is an area that shouldn't be hard to crack. If Tristy Hill wasn't good enough, why the hell did we spend a second round pick on him? At the very least, he should be dressing.

visionary

Reaction score
This is not an easy starting roster to crack, on paper this is a really good football team but the NFL changes quickly and once teams have film on you and find your weaknesses - they build a gameplan and tend to execute. The Cowboys defense has been a major disappointment on all levels this season, if they would just help the offense a little bit - this team would be 6-0

PS- Our 2019 first round draft pick is technically Amari Cooper and he's been pretty damn good.

sad thing is that you actually believe this crap you just wrote

visionary

Reaction score
Our DT rotation is bottom 3 in the league. This is an area that shouldn't be hard to crack. If Tristy Hill wasn't good enough, why the hell did we spend a second round pick on him? At the very least, he should be dressing.

Exactly

DT, TE, and safety have been obvious weak spots for years but it is “really difficult to crack this roster”. Well the Jets sure cracked it yesterday

the stuff I read on this board by CZ homers is just so idiotic it’s laughable

Spurdog

Reaction score
When your treat your draft like fantasy football coupled with morons for coaches and a middle of the road QB, this is what you get. Been this way since Jimmy got the boot. We had a few bright spots along the way but ultimately you can't overcome incompetence and an owner that micromanages. You can find skill outside of the power 5 conferences but if you are going to pick interior lineman on either side of the ball, stay with the power 5, particularly SEC, Big Ten, Big 12. Every once in awhile you might luck up but more often than not you miss and miss bad.

Sydla

Reaction score
No 1st round pick. We started in the bottom of the second. I haven't tallied them all up, but I think less draft value than 2009, and probably the least draft value we've had to work with since 2000. Under 600.

Hill was bottom of the 2nd picked for traits, not production. Covington has been our leading tackler. Woods, Crawford, Collins all healthy. It's no shame for a rookie to have those 4 guys ahead of him in the rotation. I think they picked a little more of a developmental player knowing that they had more to work with this year. The real need was replacing Collins next year.

McGovern hurt, and I think he was the consensus best pick for the guy who would be best on day one.

Pollard, Jackson, and Wilson all doing ok. Pollard better than ok.

People forget how little draft capital we were working with. Even *if* Hill is a bust, which is far from certain or even *likely* at this point, for the capital we had to spend, we didn't do too badly. McGovern as a bottom of the 2nd quality player. He got hurt. That's not an indictment of our draft.

LOL.

Quite the spin here. I like Pollard. I hope McGovern pans out. I have little hope for Hill. With the issues we have at DT, him not even being ablet to get active for games is concerning.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
LOL.

Quite the spin here. I like Pollard. I hope McGovern pans out. I have little hope for Hill. With the issues we have at DT, him not even being ablet to get active for games is concerning.

Which of these guys should Hill, as a bottom of the 2nd round pick with "upside", be better than?
Covington, Woods, Crawford, Collins

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
DT is abysmal here.

Look at Carolina. They couldn't get any pressure or any penetration last year during their multiple game skid. Know what they did? Grabbed Gerald McCoy.

Instant difference maker. Think he might've sacked Jameis 3 times yesterday and helped spearhead a 6 turnover outing.