CFZ Where is the Chip?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The last 27 years speaks for itself. I don’t need to remind Cowboys fans of what that means. But I have a couple of serious questions for the entire Cowboys organization:
  • Where is the chip on the shoulder? The last two seasons have ended in losses to the San Francisco 49ers in the divisional round. Both losses where the team clearly underperformed and did not bring their best to the most important game in their entire season.
  • Does anyone sense from the players, coaches and FO a sense of urgency or a chip on the shoulder about their lack of quality playoff performance?
Here’s my question to us as fans: Maybe I’m wrong, but for a team and organization that has clearly underperformed for decades, do these guys seem to have more determination, focus and clarity than in the past? Or do they seem a bit too self satisfied with reading their own news clippings? Does anyone sense a drive and urgency to get right what they haven’t for so long?

Jimmy Johnson has said for years that this organization is like a country club rather than a football team. He has said on numerous occasions that the players “look too comfortable” with losing.

Where is the chip?

It‘s way too early to give up on this team and I still have some optimism
. They have talent and they can compete with any team when properly prepared and focused. But every time I watch this team underperform as we witnessed last Sunday, I wonder again, Where is the chip?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I don't understand why one game matters more than the other 2.

There was no problem with a chip on the shoulder when they were 2-0 and outscoring opponents 70-10.

Good teams have stinkers all the time, it doesn't mean anything about the culture or motivation.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

There was no problem with a chip on the shoulder when they were 2-0 and outscoring opponents 70-10.

Good teams have stinkers all the time, it doesn't mean anything about the culture or motivation.
This is probably the Cowboys mindset unfortunately.

That’s why they’re losers.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The last 27 years speaks for itself. I don’t need to remind Cowboys fans of what that means. But I have a couple of serious questions for the entire Cowboys organization:
  • Where is the chip on the shoulder? The last two seasons have ended in losses to the San Francisco 49ers in the divisional round. Both losses where the team clearly underperformed and did not bring their best to the most important game in their entire season.
  • Does anyone sense from the players, coaches and FO a sense of urgency or a chip on the shoulder about their lack of quality playoff performance?
Here’s my question to us as fans: Maybe I’m wrong, but for a team and organization that has clearly underperformed for decades, do these guys seem to have more determination, focus and clarity than in the past? Or do they seem a bit too self satisfied with reading their own news clippings? Does anyone sense a drive and urgency to get right what they haven’t for so long?

Jimmy Johnson has said for years that this organization is like a country club rather than a football team. He has said on numerous occasions that the players “look too comfortable” with losing.

Where is the chip?

It‘s way too early to give up on this team and I still have some optimism. They have talent and they can compete with any team when properly prepared and focused. But every time I watch this team underperform as we witnessed last Sunday, I wonder again, Where is the chip?
A week ago this team was unstoppable. One loss to a desperate team playing at home and everyone jumped off the bandwagon.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A week ago this team was unstoppable. One loss to a desperate team playing at home and everyone jumped off the bandwagon.
For me it’s not jumping off the bandwagon. It’s just asking a question- does this team have the drive and chip on the shoulder or not?

This isn’t based on one game. It’s based on years.
And as stated in the OP: “It‘s way too early to give up on this team and I still have some optimism. They have talent and they can compete with any team when properly prepared and focused.”

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
There's a group of fans caught in the Black Hole of mediocrity of the last 28 years. They prance about bragging about 12 win seasons even though we bombed again early in the playoffs. So the money keeps rolling in to the Jones's, the players get paid without expectation of winning. Lather, rinse, repeat.

CCBoy

Reaction score
There's a group of fans caught in the Black Hole of mediocrity of the last 28 years. They prance about bragging about 12 win seasons even though we bombed again early in the playoffs. So the money keeps rolling in to the Jones's, the players get paid without expectation of winning. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Not this fan, I'm happy with individual level good play...team related good play, and team related achievemenets. Not into strictly into hero worship at the loss of being a true fan....take that as one desires. That then is your value and not a degradation of my values to appreciate.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can add the owners to that list. :)
That’s a long conversation. In a nutshell Jerry has all the money he could ever have dreamed. Net worth around 10B. What he doesn’t have is respect around the league as a GM. He wants to be known for his football acumen and that’s something you can’t buy. Jerry wants a Super Bowl BUT on the condition that he gets credit for building the team. That’s why even after all these years, he refuses to let go and let competent people build the team. He doesn’t want another JJ situation where another man gets all the accolades and credit for winning.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

Probably because we need to win the division to have any chance and we blew it losing to a bad team. We didn't just lose but it wasn't even close. Unless the Eagles or the 49ers slip up this loss is going to hurt us all season.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is probably the Cowboys mindset unfortunately.

That’s why they’re losers.
15 losses isn't the point, correcting team problems are. Go by losses as season development...then tell us the number of team losses now. We'll tell you what that then means.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

Where is the chip?

It‘s way too early to give up on this team and I Therestill have some optimism. They have talent and they can compete with any team when properly prepared and focused. But every time I watch this team underperform as we witnessed last Sunday, I wonder again, Where is the chip?
Their form of chip is in the form of dead presidents, gold chains, and fancy cars!!!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Probably because we need to win the division to have any chance and we blew it losing to a bad team. We didn't just lose but it wasn't even close. Unless the Eagles or the 49ers slip up this loss is going to hurt us all season.
:popcorn: