Where's the Love for Calvin Ridley?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Damn good article for him .......have to admit, comments from the 2 scouts, have me thinking Hmmm.

Where's the Love for Calvin Ridley? Why the Draft's Top WR Doesn't Get More Hype
MATT MILLERAPRIL 17, 2018

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-get-more-hype?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium

c312d372340924b3753b3e9cb0e0037b_crop_north.jpg

In today's pass-heavy NFL, wide receivers are more important than ever.

You see as much reflected in free agency, where players like Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins receive huge contracts to reward middling production. You see it too in the draft, where seemingly every year brings a handful of new hyped receivers to the league, including last year, when three (Corey Davis, Mike Williams and John Ross) went in the first nine picks.

In fact, since 2009, as many as six and an average of four receivers have been picked in the first round. So this year, when only one receiver is a lock to go in Round 1, how is there so little hype around him?
Where's the love for Calvin Ridley?

Ridley didn't have eye-popping numbers or get Biletnikoff Award recognition in his three seasons at Alabama, but among NFL executives, scouts and coaches Bleacher Report has spoken to, the consensus is that he's a level apart from any other receiver in this draft.

They look at Ridley and see a silky-smooth route-runner with plus speed and hands who can be a part of a dynamic passing attack on Day 1 in the NFL. My mock draft reflects that opinion, projecting Ridley to go 16th overall (the only receiver I have in the first round).

So why isn't he a household name?

Part of it is that the hype might already have passed Ridley by. He signed at Alabama as the top wide receiver in the 2015 recruiting class (and 12th-best player at any position, according to 247Sports) and burst onto the scene, catching 89 passes for over 1,000 yards as a true freshman. But his numbers dropped in each of the next two seasons—72 catches as a sophomore and 63 as a junior—and he never got over that 1,000-yard mark again.

mullet

Reaction score
I am on record as saying i love Ridley but he is 24 and will be almost 30 when his rookie deal runs out,i am not sure we want to resign a 30 year old WR.
I used to grief over ‘older’ rookies..... and then Terrance Newman proved it doesn’t matter.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Overview
Ridley has game-changing talent complete with blazing speed and rare route-running ability for a college prospect. He ran the full route tree at Alabama, has experience working in a pro-style attack and is a plug-and-play starter on day one. He must improve his ability to defeat press corners off the snap or he'll become a feast or famine target. Ridley's elite speed and separation talent gives him the potential to become one of the more productive and dangerous receivers in the league.

Strengths
  • Smooth strider with effortless transitions
  • Dominates cornerbacks if they allow him free release
  • Speed is consistent in drive phase for short, intermediate and deep routes
  • Feet are crisp and hypnotic in their cadence along the route
  • Possesses elite separation talent
  • Route stems and breaks are seamless and sharp and open wide throwing windows
  • Quick and quiet into breaks
  • Carries long speed of a human torch with ability to embarrass his defender
  • Forces defensive backs into early retreat
  • Uses subtle head movement to manipulate safeties out of position
  • Play speed is electric
  • Natural ball plucker on the move
  • Gears down to drop low and secure poor throws and is able to climb up high as well
  • Touchdown totals could have been doubled with better quarterbacking
  • Finds open space in scramble situations
  • Can be lethal after the catch
  • Uses entire field as his playground
  • Received almost 33 percent of the team's targets since his freshman year
Weaknesses
  • Thin build with tight skin
  • Frame needs more strength, but may not be able to get there
  • Long, press corners cause hesitation in his release
  • Hasn't learned to use hands as press counter
  • Too easily impeded by contact
  • Routes can be redirected by quality bump and run talent
  • Inconsistent using body positioning to leverage target area along deep sideline
  • Despite natural hands, struggles with focus drops when he senses a hitter nearby
  • Had 20 drops over three seasons
  • Scouts question toughness to catch in NFL traffic
  • Dances after catch on hitches rather than getting it upfield
  • Runs after catch can be thwarted immediately by first contact

Aven8

Reaction score
I actually think it's because he little brother out shined him in the NC game. However, having said that if Saban would have put in the Hawaii kid earlier in the season he might have gone off.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
WOW.
a exceptional WR who knows how to get open and catch it....yet doesnt generate "hype".
Im kinda damn tired of "hype".
so....yes.....Calvin Ridley ALL DAY at 19.
Please and Thank You.

Gotta tell ya......I'm warming to this kid real fast. The scouts' comments are interesting.......

cowboyec

Reaction score
Gotta tell ya......I'm warming to this kid real fast. The scouts' comments are interesting.......
Ive always liked him.
might be a pipe dream,but I think he will be the pick.
(orPayne/orEvans/orSutton/orDaniels).
Dallas doesn't have a WR like him.
He doesn't get the credit he should....he is dang good.

bodi

Reaction score
•Scouts question toughness to catch in NFL traffic

plus he is so thin

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I am on record as saying i love Ridley but he is 24 and will be almost 30 when his rookie deal runs out,i am not sure we want to resign a 30 year old WR.
He's 23 and turns 24 at the end of the season. Anthony Miller is 23 and will be 24 beginning of the season. I think they are the two best wideouts in the draft and wouldn't mind if we landed both of them.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Ive always liked him.
might be a pipe dream,but I think he will be the pick.
(orPayne/orEvans/orSutton/orDaniels).
Dallas doesn't have a WR like him.
He doesn't get the credit he should....he is dang good.

This isn't the first time I've read about his impeccable route running skills. Brugler says the same thing. No wr in the drafts comes close this kid ability to run perfect routes and get open. I'm with you, think this kid is the pick if he's there.......

kevinhickey

Reaction score
Damn good article for him .......have to admit, comments from the 2 scouts, have me thinking Hmmm.

Where's the Love for Calvin Ridley? Why the Draft's Top WR Doesn't Get More Hype
MATT MILLERAPRIL 17, 2018

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-get-more-hype?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium

c312d372340924b3753b3e9cb0e0037b_crop_north.jpg

In today's pass-heavy NFL, wide receivers are more important than ever.

You see as much reflected in free agency, where players like Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins receive huge contracts to reward middling production. You see it too in the draft, where seemingly every year brings a handful of new hyped receivers to the league, including last year, when three (Corey Davis, Mike Williams and John Ross) went in the first nine picks.

In fact, since 2009, as many as six and an average of four receivers have been picked in the first round. So this year, when only one receiver is a lock to go in Round 1, how is there so little hype around him?
Where's the love for Calvin Ridley?

Ridley didn't have eye-popping numbers or get Biletnikoff Award recognition in his three seasons at Alabama, but among NFL executives, scouts and coaches Bleacher Report has spoken to, the consensus is that he's a level apart from any other receiver in this draft.

They look at Ridley and see a silky-smooth route-runner with plus speed and hands who can be a part of a dynamic passing attack on Day 1 in the NFL. My mock draft reflects that opinion, projecting Ridley to go 16th overall (the only receiver I have in the first round).

So why isn't he a household name?

Part of it is that the hype might already have passed Ridley by. He signed at Alabama as the top wide receiver in the 2015 recruiting class (and 12th-best player at any position, according to 247Sports) and burst onto the scene, catching 89 passes for over 1,000 yards as a true freshman. But his numbers dropped in each of the next two seasons—72 catches as a sophomore and 63 as a junior—and he never got over that 1,000-yard mark again.
I like Ridley; however, I would like to see the draft pick used on either LB, DL. I think we could get a WR in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.