Where's the Love for Calvin Ridley?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Long time front runners at any draft position usually picked apart, way beyond anything reasonable.
It happens every year.
Recall the pre-draft bashing Bosa was getting, but SD did not waver.

And in a draft that is loaded with good WRs prospects but not necessarily a guy like Julio Jones, any front runner will get pulled back to the bak or even worse.
That is what has happened with Ridley.
Also, although his 40 time (4.43) was good and game tape shows plenty quickness and speed, his pure Sparq score is bad due to vertical and long jump (which were more similar to...Antonio Browns...lol)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He didn't test well either. Guys with his measurables and athleticism have rarely become top wide receivers. Of all the guys that compare to him in recent history, only Chad Johnson really succeeded.
Antonio Brown?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Long time front runners at any draft position usually picked apart, way beyond anything reasonable.
It happens every year.
Recall the pre-draft bashing Bosa was getting, but SD did not waver.

And in a draft that is loaded with good WRs prospects but not necessarily a guy like Julio Jones, any front runner will get pulled back to the bak or even worse.
That is what has happened with Ridley.
Also, although his 40 time (4.43) was good and game tape shows plenty quickness and speed, his pure Sparq score is bad due to vertical and long jump (which were more similar to...Antonio Browns...lol)
for the record the Cowboys were going to take Bosa No team was wavering..bad example.. WR are a different animal and history , recent history shows its on of the toughest transitions from College to pros and its high risk pick in the first round..a better Defense will help the offense for once..our Running ball control offense with limited passing is what this team is anyway..Better to have D hold the scores down and not HAVE to be a throwing Team..sure you have to throw but w already have WR core that can move the ball under this current scheme..Adding some speed there to take the top off when they want to loosen up the defense is what we NEED.. Chark/Miller might be better fit anyway..Hurns and Thompson gives us a year to develop the wrs we take in the draft..

Im waiting until round 2 at 50 and grabbing the best WR left.theres 5 that all have similar skills, im sure one will fall to us..

DFWJC

Reaction score
for the record the Cowboys were going to take Bosa No team was wavering..bad example.. WR are a different animal and history , recent history shows its on of the toughest transitions from College to pros and its high risk pick in the first round..a better Defense will help the offense for once..our Running ball control offense with limited passing is what this team is anyway..Better to have D hold the scores down and not HAVE to be a throwing Team..sure you have to throw but w already have WR core that can move the ball under this current scheme..Adding some speed there to take the top off when they want to loosen up the defense is what we NEED.. Chark/Miller might be better fit anyway..Hurns and Thompson gives us a year to develop the wrs we take in the draft..

Im waiting until round 2 at 50 and grabbing the best WR left.theres 5 that all have similar skills, im sure one will fall to us..
I'm not talking abut how real life personal departments are--well, maybe a few--I'm talking about fan sites like this one.
Bosa was getting slaughtered here at this time in 2016.
And no, I definitely don't think any of this years WRs are a prospect of Bosa's caliber.

My preference is to take a WR later anyway

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm not talking abut how real life personal departments are--well, maybe a few--I'm talking about fan sites like this one.
Bosa was getting slaughtered here at this time in 2016.
And no, I definitely don't think any of this years WRs are a prospect of Bosa's caliber.

My preference is to take a WR later anyway
ok well yes i agree , i do believe Ridley will get chosen by us if hes still there at 19 and none of the other 5 Defenders are left to take..in that case i guess id understand..

Plankton

Reaction score
I am on record as saying i love Ridley but he is 24 and will be almost 30 when his rookie deal runs out,i am not sure we want to resign a 30 year old WR.

Did you like the Zack Martin selection?

Martin turned 24 two months earlier than Ridley will in his rookie season. And was taken 14th overall.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Overview
Ridley has game-changing talent complete with blazing speed and rare route-running ability for a college prospect. He ran the full route tree at Alabama, has experience working in a pro-style attack and is a plug-and-play starter on day one. He must improve his ability to defeat press corners off the snap or he'll become a feast or famine target. Ridley's elite speed and separation talent gives him the potential to become one of the more productive and dangerous receivers in the league.

Strengths
  • Smooth strider with effortless transitions
  • Dominates cornerbacks if they allow him free release
  • Speed is consistent in drive phase for short, intermediate and deep routes
  • Feet are crisp and hypnotic in their cadence along the route
  • Possesses elite separation talent
  • Route stems and breaks are seamless and sharp and open wide throwing windows
  • Quick and quiet into breaks
  • Carries long speed of a human torch with ability to embarrass his defender
  • Forces defensive backs into early retreat
  • Uses subtle head movement to manipulate safeties out of position
  • Play speed is electric
  • Natural ball plucker on the move
  • Gears down to drop low and secure poor throws and is able to climb up high as well
  • Touchdown totals could have been doubled with better quarterbacking
  • Finds open space in scramble situations
  • Can be lethal after the catch
  • Uses entire field as his playground
  • Received almost 33 percent of the team's targets since his freshman year
Weaknesses
  • Thin build with tight skin
  • Frame needs more strength, but may not be able to get there
  • Long, press corners cause hesitation in his release
  • Hasn't learned to use hands as press counter
  • Too easily impeded by contact
  • Routes can be redirected by quality bump and run talent
  • Inconsistent using body positioning to leverage target area along deep sideline
  • Despite natural hands, struggles with focus drops when he senses a hitter nearby
  • Had 20 drops over three seasons
  • Scouts question toughness to catch in NFL traffic
  • Dances after catch on hitches rather than getting it upfield
  • Runs after catch can be thwarted immediately by first contact
That’s what I don’t like about him. He’s easily defended at the line of scrimmage. He’ll be up against quality CB’s every game. Too much risk/reward at #19 IMO.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Did you like the Zack Martin selection?

Martin turned 24 two months earlier than Ridley will in his rookie season. And was taken 14th overall.
OL on average last about 4-5 more years than WRs.
Zack Martin might have been the best overall football player in that class and fell ALL THE WAY to us. 16th btw, not 14th.
He was a day 1 Pro Bowler who was a finished product.

Ridley is older than most WRs and essentially unathletic as his 90th rated WR SPARQ score attests, so those are pretty big knocks.
But he has excellent run routing, awareness and solid hands.
If he were about 15 pounds heavier and I thought he wouldn't get mugged negating his route-running (see cole beasley) I'd like him a whole lot more.

No way I'd touch him at 19 but I've been wrong before and will be again.
All that being said I've been right far more often on players and there's plenty of history on this board to suggest that.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Antonio Brown?
People should really stop that, lol.
Antonio Brown came out of Central Michigan and had likely never been in a world class weight room much less overall program.
He was also 21 years old.
He also averaged 100 catches and over 1000 yards per year in college.

Ridley is 3 inches taller but the same weight after years at Alabama where there athletes are maxed out.
He's 23+.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
:bow:
:bow::hammer::hammer::clap::clap::clap:It's not about speed......great Jerry Rice couldn't run a 4.5 if you paid him but he tell his entire game was built around great hands and route running which practiced EVERY DAY.

Just watch his tape - then watch all the other WR's. I'm sorry, but his game speed (coupled with his route running) is way better than just about every WR I've looked at this year (including DJ Moore).

jrumann59

Reaction score
This is a Run First Team with a mediocre Thrower.

There is enough WR Talent in the 2nd.
more like the 3rd or later. I would rather get by with what the team has at WR than waste it on a WR class that only has 1 or 2 number 1 WR, there is high possibility most of these guys will not see a 2nd contract from their drafting team.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Here is WR strength, how many want this guy

Strengths
Tall vertical and red zone target who can go up and get the ball. Eats up space quickly against soft coverage. Shakes his man off the line and has enough speed to get a step down the sideline. Is a sideline threat with quick feet for his size and body control in the air, making his stop, fade, and comeback routes more effective. Tracks the ball and adjusts to it in the air, and shows the ability to stop and turn for the back-shoulder fade. Adjusts his route to make himself available to his scrambling quarterback, going deep or crossing into an opening.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Hes Frail and is best as a Z receiver. Oh and he’ll be 29 by the end of his first contract. Pass

If they pick up his 5th year Option, he'll be 28 at the end of his 5th season/beginning of his 6th season. If they gave him a 5-year deal after his 4th year, he'd be 32 at the end of that deal. And, he's so frail..............that he never missed a game in college.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Nearly all mocks have Ravens going WR at 17, most have slotted Ridley there. This is the reason for FO interest in Sutton IMO. For those not aware of Sutton, like him or not, but he's a red zone machine ( 31 TDs ). For all the neg out their about Dez, there's no denying he was deadly in red zone.

Undefeated

Reaction score
Here is WR strength, how many want this guy

Strengths
Tall vertical and red zone target who can go up and get the ball. Eats up space quickly against soft coverage. Shakes his man off the line and has enough speed to get a step down the sideline. Is a sideline threat with quick feet for his size and body control in the air, making his stop, fade, and comeback routes more effective. Tracks the ball and adjusts to it in the air, and shows the ability to stop and turn for the back-shoulder fade. Adjusts his route to make himself available to his scrambling quarterback, going deep or crossing into an opening.
Weakness: BODY CATCHER