Where's your Optimeter needle pointing?

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
How do you know that at this point in time. We haven't had OTA's or TC yet. How many injuries are we going to suffer in TC or pre-season games. Dak going down early will totally sink the season and with our OL history, he might not last long. My guess is that this team will languish again this year and for several more years just like the last 25 years.

Good points

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
How do you know that at this point in time. We haven't had OTA's or TC yet. How many injuries are we going to suffer in TC or pre-season games. Dak going down early will totally sink the season and with our OL history, he might not last long. My guess is that this team will languish again this year and for several more years just like the last 25 years.

Yep you're right, part of success is down to luck on the injury front (even the Chiefs Offense crumbled with a couple of missing Tackles). But at least 2020 showed us that the imbalanced roster is potentially disastrous as the D can't pick up any slack.

Not expecting much in 2021 (it takes times when Defense is relient upon so many rookies) but actually looking forward to a Defense that's failure's will be due to developmental inexperience rather than veterans picking up their pension (Poe, Worley, Griffin, Clinton-Dix).

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I think us perfectly healthy still goes 7-10 or 8-9.

We are not a good team.
I don't see how anyone can look at 2019 and 2020 and think we are any kind of contender.

Zeke is not getting any younger.
We have no idea how Dak will play after the injury. We have no idea how it will affect him mentally even if he is 100% physically.
The O-Line is not getting any younger.
The defense is still the defense. A bunch of rookies and injured FA are not an immediate answer to the problem. Even if it is improved it is still not a good defense.
McCarthy is just not got me optimistic. I'm not a fan at all of him so far.
Dak has got to show up against good teams. His numbers against good competition compared to bad competition is very concerning.
If the offense does not help the defense in the first 2 1/2 quarters then nothing matters. The offense has got to sustain some drives BEFORE our opponents go up 3 TDs on us and starts playing soft defense. All those empty stats mean nothing.

I don't see us as an actual "contender" yet, but I would venture that 9-8 is a reasonable guess considering a lot of our talent is new and inexperienced on defense. Next year should be better yet.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I've done this every off season after the draft just to check and see where posters' heads are at with the upcoming season. I did not do it last season because I am not sure what last season was.

Which brings me to this season. I am really feeling good about this season, I think the Cowboys will win the East and possibly a playoff game that first weekend.

But it's not the record this season or the playoffs that have me extra tuned in, it is to see if I can get that feeling I had in 1990-91 when I could see something special coming together. That's when that defense began to emerge and I could see the speed and the train coming.

New DC, 8 D players drafted and more signed in FA and UDFA and some of the missing pieces returning like Diggs and we'll see about Vander Esch. Not to mention the OL coming back an of course, the QB and Jarwin and we'll get a good look at Lamb's soph season and I do think it will be impressive. Ya know, I got the feeling watching him at OU when Hollywood Brown was there that this guy was just meant to be a WR, he's a natural.

If I were a clever illustrator, I would put a graphic up with the needle and different categories but I am neither clever nor an illustrator so I will just list them.

Your choices are: Let's Talk Draft 2022, 2020 in Hindsight (no better), Barely Better than 2020, Wild Card, Division Champs, Noisemaker in the Playoffs, This is Our Year.

I am in that Division Champs section of the Optimeter.

Please state your reasons for where your needle is pointing and could we try and refrain from going after someone or name calling like Homer or Hater because of where their needle is? You feel how you feel and don't have to defend it.
3/4ths.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
I'm going with Division champs right now. But so many things can happen with injuries, etc.

Flamma

Reaction score
I've done this every off season after the draft just to check and see where posters' heads are at with the upcoming season. I did not do it last season because I am not sure what last season was.

Which brings me to this season. I am really feeling good about this season, I think the Cowboys will win the East and possibly a playoff game that first weekend.

But it's not the record this season or the playoffs that have me extra tuned in, it is to see if I can get that feeling I had in 1990-91 when I could see something special coming together. That's when that defense began to emerge and I could see the speed and the train coming.

New DC, 8 D players drafted and more signed in FA and UDFA and some of the missing pieces returning like Diggs and we'll see about Vander Esch. Not to mention the OL coming back an of course, the QB and Jarwin and we'll get a good look at Lamb's soph season and I do think it will be impressive. Ya know, I got the feeling watching him at OU when Hollywood Brown was there that this guy was just meant to be a WR, he's a natural.

If I were a clever illustrator, I would put a graphic up with the needle and different categories but I am neither clever nor an illustrator so I will just list them.

Your choices are: Let's Talk Draft 2022, 2020 in Hindsight (no better), Barely Better than 2020, Wild Card, Division Champs, Noisemaker in the Playoffs, This is Our Year.

Please state your reasons for where your needle is pointing and could we try and refrain from going after someone or name calling like Homer or Hater because of where their needle is? You feel how you feel and don't have to defend it.

It's not high. I'm expecting close to a .500 record. Dallas has a two year window. I'm hoping the Cowboys can make a run in 2022. The Bucs are going back next year. They haven't even peaked and have little competition in the NFC. Especially if Rodgers goes to the AFC.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Barely Better than 2020

I dont see any position where we got really better.

Most of our FA signing and draft picks are no more and will compete with our backup players. And that is not good for a team that actually is missing between 8 and 9 starting caliber players let alone on defense.

Defense.
- We drafted 1 runstopper late but also lost Woods to FA. Thats a wash.
- Joseph might be a good CB but he will need at least 8 games to get acclimated to the NFL (like Diggs last year).
- Our LB corps is still a questionsmark. Persons might be the real deal but he needs a DL that can keep him clean which we have not. So i dont see him making an big impact. At least not this year.
- Safety is an issue and signing an LB/SS tweener who comes back from injury isnt a good soution.

Offense:
- We have the same OL like last year. With the same questionmarks. I dont see Tyron being able to play on a high level in 16 games. Id give him 8 at maximum. Collins coming back from surgery where nobody exactly knows what the issue is. Thats always a bad sign. You can hope for him to be his old but realistictly you should expect a lesser Collins this year.
- Dak comes back from major injury. He will have some phsycological issues and he physically wont be 100% this year (regardless what you hear from DC.com). And even if he plays like in 2019 and 2020 - back then he was not good enough to beat any kind of better defense.
- We get an average TE back. That wont make a big difference.
- Zeke has lost a step in 2019 and he wont find it back in some magical kind of way.

DC:
Quinn gets hyped like Nolan last year. And he hypes his hybrid (or was it hybris idk ;-)) 3-4 4-3 defense like Nolan did it with his. This team has no 3-4 Ends nor does it have a legit starting 3-4 DT.
One man does not make a difference. Regardless all the talk he is doing. He may give us some minimal stability but nothing that will make me say "hey, this is the guy that we were missing to win it all".