Which Cowboys Doomsday Defense was greater?

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
From the start of the second half of the 1971 season -- 10 games, as it was a 14-game season and there were only three playoff games, including the Super Bowl -- the defense allowed a total of 91 points. Opponents scored less than 10 points per game during that stretch. And the Cowboys did give up a total of just 18 points in three playoff games.
Just to be a bore... during rhe final 10 games of 71-72, including the playoffs and Super Bowl, the Dallas defense gave up a total of seven touchdowns. The Giants scored one TD on an interception return.

The Vikings also scored on a safety.

So the defense actually gave up only 82 points during those 10 games -- seven TDs and 11 field goals.

I don't recall or have the data to show how many of the TDs resulted from short fields.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
i have been watching a few of the 77 teams games on youtube and that version of the doomsday defense was the best cowboys defensive team. they were much better then the 92 and 93 teams. then again the 92 and 93 teams had a tougher time playing defense of the rule changes that helped out offenses more. i think that those three teams had the best seasons on defense.
I’d agree the 77 defense was best version of Doomsday II. And better than 92 or 93.

But the 70 and 71 Doomsday needs to be in the mix.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
From the start of the second half of the 1971 season -- 10 games, as it was a 14-game season and there were only three playoff games, including the Super Bowl -- the defense allowed a total of 91 points. Opponents scored less than 10 points per game during that stretch. And the Cowboys did give up a total of just 18 points in three playoff games.
Incredible numbers and why I’d rank that defense with any in Cowboys history.

The 1970 Cowboys defense only gave up 10 points in 2 playoff games with one shutout and in SB loss only 16 points.

1970 defense had 3 shutouts including 1 in playoffs . Another game we only gave up 2 points, 1 we gave up 3 points. In total 9 of 14 regular season games we gave up 17 points or less .

Landry was quoted telling Lilly “ Bob, if we hold our opponent below 17 points we will win 90% of our games”. Unfortunately it wasn't enough in SB V losing 16-13.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Incredible numbers and why I’d rank that defense with any in Cowboys history.

The 1970 Cowboys defense only gave up 10 points in 2 playoff games with one shutout and in SB loss only 16 points.

1970 defense had 3 shutouts including 1 in playoffs . Another game we only gave up 2 points, 1 we gave up 3 points. In total 9 of 14 games we gave up 17 points or less .

Landry was quoted telling Lilly “ Bob, if we hold our opponent below 17 points we will win 90% of our games”. Unfortunately it wasn't enough in SB V losing 16-13.
Indeed. And the Colts scored a TD on the freak John Mackey play. If we had benefited from high-def back then, we might really know whether Renfro actually touched the ball, but alas. In either case, it was a freak play.

Morton had a bad arm that season, and the offense was hamstrung. And of course, the officials ignored a Manders fumble recovery...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Indeed. And the Colts scored a TD on the freak John Mackey play. If we had benefited from high-def back then, we might really know whether Renfro actually touched the ball, but alas. In either case, it was a freak play.

Morton had a bad arm that season, and the offense was hamstrung. And of course, the officials ignored a Manders fumble recovery...
I believe there were 9 fumbles or turnovers in the game and amazingly only 16-13 score. Colts had a great defense too.

While the Cowboys are more remembered for giving the game away it was a makeup of sorts for the Colts after greatest upset in SB history when Jets knocked them off 2 years earlier in SB III.

In retrospect considering the Colts moved to AFC in 1970 merger we probably would have met them in NFC championship instead of Super Bowl.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
I believe there were 9 fumbles or turnovers in the game and amazingly only 16-13 score. Colts had a great defense too.

While the Cowboys are more remembered for giving the game away it was a makeup of sorts for the Colts after greatest upset in SB history when Jets knocked them off 2 years earlier in SB III.

In retrospect considering the Colts moved to AFC in 1970 merger we probably would have met them in NFC championship instead of Super Bowl.
Yep, the Colts were an aging team but still really talented. The game became known as the Blooper Bowl, but both defenses were truly great.

The 1971 season started in turmoil with the Morton/Staubach controversy, and if I recall correctly, a couple of defensive players had contract issues. Dallas was 4-3 in the first half of the year, and it looked like a lost season.

Then Landry finally relented. He inserted Staubach as the starter, and they won 10 straight, including the playoffs.

I revere Landry. Revere. But if he had one flaw, it was his reluctance to choose talent over experience at the QB position. He probably should have moved more quickly on Staubach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep, the Colts were an aging team but still really talented. The game became known as the Blooper Bowl, but both defenses were truly great.

The 1971 season started in turmoil with the Morton/Staubach controversy, and if I recall correctly, a couple of defensive players had contract issues. Dallas was 4-3 in the first half of the year, and it looked like a lost season.

Then Landry finally relented. He inserted Staubach as the starter, and they won 10 straight, including the playoffs.

I revere Landry. Revere. But if he had one flaw, it was his reluctance to choose talent over experience at the QB position. He probably should have moved more quickly on Staubach.
I suppose and that’s a fair critique of Landry but more a sign of the times but Morton was a quality talent . He was a 1st round pick. And not many teams bench their starting QB from previous SB. But most teams don’t have a Staubach sitting on the bench.

Morton had been Merideths backup since drafted in 65 and surprisingly got the nod in 69 when Dandy retired . Roger cause of his Navy obligations didn’t join until 69. And it was totally unheard of back then to start Rookie QB’s. Morton only started two full seasons for Cowboys before Roger got his shot.

And it was rumored after the shuttling in 71 that Roger told Landry he’d ask for a trade if he wasn’t given a shot. Fortunately, Roger made the most of his opportunity all the way to a championship. The rest is history. But we can certainly speculate that if it had ended similarly to Morton the previous year the controversy might have continued.

And Morton went on to become the first QB to start for 2 different teams in a SB and had the longest career of any Cowboys QB drafted. While we might not have had as much success with Morton that team was great enough I think Morton would have eventually had success too.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I suppose and that’s a fair critique of Landry but more a sign of the times but Morton was a quality talent . He was a 1st round pick. And not many teams bench their starting QB from previous SB. But most teams don’t have a Staubach sitting on the bench.

Morton had been Merideths backup since drafted in 65 and surprisingly got the nod in 69 when Dandy retired . Roger cause of his Navy obligations didn’t join until 69. And it was totally unheard of back then to start Rookie QB’s. Morton only started two full seasons for Cowboys before Roger got his shot.

And it was rumored after the shuttling in 71 that Roger told Landry he’d ask for a trade if he wasn’t given a shot. Fortunately, Roger made the most of his opportunity all the way to a championship. The rest is history. But we can certainly speculate that if it had ended similarly to Morton the previous year the controversy might have continued.

And Morton went on to become the first QB to start for 2 different teams in a SB and had the longest career of any Cowboys QB drafted. While we might not have had as much success with Morton that team was great enough I think Morton would have eventually had success too.

Dandy Don and Lance Rentzel, as portrayed by Mac Davis and Nick Nolte in North Dallas Forty. by Pete Gent, still my favorite football movie of all time. I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but nevermind.. just reminiscing. Maybe someone should start a thread on favorite sports movies. i will hang up and listen.

pancakeman

Reaction score
Yeah Rome never covered the spread against Carthage until their last battle. In fact they lost games that they were heavily favored like those bum Colts in SB 3. Coach Scipio more than covered the spread in their final battle against Carthage in Africa.
GOAT: Hannibal

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Yea, I’d say Doomsday II was like 75- 82.
Lilly retired in 74 so that is why I’d say Doonsday I would be over then. Doomsday I 65-74. And I’m open to discussion on that .

Doomsday II ended earlier than that, in about '79. By 1981, the defense was Thurman's Thieves. TT was a turnover machine, but had a weakness against the run.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score

Excellent response. And upon reflection, I must add -- One doesn't merely waltz into Dallas and second guess Tom Landry. I have administered self punishment, and rightly so.

Morton is criminally underrated. Had he been healthy for the Colts game, he very likely would have quarterbacked the first Cowboys Super Bowl victory, and at the very least, be considered now among the team's most significant players.

Morton managed to step in for Joe Don Meredith, a popular though unfairly treated local boy from Mt. Vernon, and to force the great Roger Staubach to play at a magnificent level to win their competition.

Craig Morton deserves the respect of every Cowboys fan. Thanks for the reminder.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Original Doomsday Defense was 1960’s and 70’s.

1. Cole - Lilly - Pugh - Andre

2. Jones - White - Pugh/Cole - Martin

3. Jeffcoat/Tolbert - Maryland - Cassilas/Jones - Haley

plus Lett was better than credited for, but there have been 3 great periods of Cowboys defense.

Jerry Jones should be tarred and feathered for destroying a once great franchise.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Excellent response. And upon reflection, I must add -- One doesn't merely waltz into Dallas and second guess Tom Landry. I have administered self punishment, and rightly so.

Morton is criminally underrated. Had he been healthy for the Colts game, he very likely would have quarterbacked the first Cowboys Super Bowl victory, and at the very least, be considered now among the team's most significant players.

Morton managed to step in for Joe Don Meredith, a popular though unfairly treated local boy from Mt. Vernon, and to force the great Roger Staubach to play at a magnificent level to win their competition.

Craig Morton deserves the respect of every Cowboys fan. Thanks for the reminder.

Yes, Craig Morton was a first-round draft pick and backed up Don Meredith for several seasons. He had a cannon arm and could throw with accuracy. He sometimes gets a bad rap because he had some bad games like Super Bowl V, but in every bad game, Morton was playing hurt. He didn't beat out Staubach for the starting job only because Staubach was so great. Morton wasn't as good as Staubach, but you could say that of every other quarterback in the NFL at the time. If Landry hadn't taken a chance on drafting Staubach with a late-round pick, gambling that Staubach would still be good after his military service, Morton would have been the starting QB, and the Cowboys probably could have been successful with him. If I were to compare Morton to other NFL quarterbacks of the time, I would have to say he was a lot like John Brodie of the 49ers, who was a very good quarterback.

Here's a video about Morton's best NFL game. In this game he was the backup quarterback to Norris Weese, who was having an abysmal game. He came off the bench to lead the Broncos to a comeback victory after having been down 24 points. That's the kind of thing Staubach is known for.