Which is better? One great FA or three above average FAs?

kskboys

Reaction score
He’s been the ‘assistant GM’ since before Garrett. It’s not just 23. There’s been a lot of extremely poor decisions over his tenure. It’s funny people still put all this faith McClay.

This front office is just going to ride that same wave that never works. More bargain bin shopping just like everyone knew was going to happen. Meanwhile legit teams like the niners, lions, chiefs, ravens, bills etc will be making real moves. No other team plays this garbage game with free agency like the Cowboys. It’s really been pathetic for a long time.
Salary cap, darling, combined w/ a very poor ability to evaluate players. For instance, we paid more for McCoy, Poe, HaHa than Cincy paid for Reader.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree but at some point he will hit on a good player in rd 2. Yeah hes been pretty good, kept us competitive. He found Bland who is a absolute stud. I ill say this, he will earn his keep this offseason. We will see where the rubber meets the road. Might be make or break for him too if he drafts poorly. Lets face it, hes been the man behind the curtain on draft day making these picks.
Which means he's still ignoring DT and went into the season w/ a total crapp LB corps and weak backups on the OL. What in the world was he thinking when he took Schooner?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lots of good points in here. Even some I disagree with but well thought out.

As has been said, if we could get three above average FAs to fill big holes, that might be good. The question I come back to is, how often do we acquire “above average” FAs as opposed to JAGS?

shabazz

Reaction score
Good debate. I can see pros and cons to each side. I'm going to choose 3 above average players. Not sure why. I guess just fills more holes.

Is an above average C, DT and LB better than a Chris Jones type? It's close.
Chris Jones is better for the Niners and Ravens that are already stacked positionally but for the Cowboys, Eagles, Lions etc that have SEVERAL ares of need, the 3 players are required instead.

The problem is that cap mismanagement will only allow us to get players PAST their prime.....if that's not the case, why did Jerry settle on Hilton, Hankins, Gilmore and Cooks? All past their prime

kskboys

Reaction score

As has been said, if we could get three above average FAs to fill big holes, that might be good. The question I come back to is, how often do we acquire “above average” FAs as opposed to JAGS?
Our FA signings have been mostly crapp for a while now. It was a bit better last off, especially at S.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Which means he's still ignoring DT and went into the season w/ a total crapp LB corps and weak backups on the OL. What in the world was he thinking when he took Schooner?
Man I hear ya! I can't defend that Schoon pick. I tried last year but quickly changed my mind. That as Gawd awful. Like I said, he has to be better too, meaning Will M.

kskboys

Reaction score
Man I hear ya! I can't defend that Schoon pick. I tried last year but quickly changed my mind. That as Gawd awful. Like I said, he has to be better too, meaning Will M.
Sad part is that Schooner is a good prospect. In the 4th.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Houston Texans just showed us that it can be done in 1 offseason but its hard to do. But THEY JUST DID IT. So we have hope. This means every single scout has to be all in too. The Texans are the template now, for the entire league in the team building process in short order. It starts with QB and HC. It matters alot.
Yeah Texans are not the blueprint at all lol. That was more luck than anything. Rookie head coach? Rookie QB? I don't know about that one.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I want Willie Gay or Dru Tranquill as my linebackers. We also must draft at least 2. I see not 1 NFL caliber starter on the roster. LVE is done. Career likely over. Clark is a mess. Micah and the team is convinced hes now a DE full time, which is a huge mistake btw. Can someone tell me who the starters are at linebacker if we dont draft anyone? Or sign anyone?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree witcha K about this team ignoring DT for years. What I’m not sure about is how much to blame McClay for the choices made in every draft. My understanding is he gives JJ and SJ choices based on his scouting evals but he doesn’t make the actual pick. Maybe his scouting can be skewed and inaccurate at times as all scouting can do.

Not saying McClay doesn‘t deserve some criticism, but with the weird way this FO works, it’s hard to really know how much he deserves.

Put it another way, I’ve always been amazed at how much influence the coordinators seem to have here at draft time. The problem is with so many changing philosophies and coordinators coming and going, this FO doesn’t seem to know what kinds of players fit the team’s philosophy. Pittsburgh for example knows exactly what kind of players they are looking for. Here, it’s an ever changing blob of philosophies depending on who has the Jones’ ear.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Chris Jones. All day everyday.

Because Jerry isn’t signing middle tier guys. He wants the guys coming off ACL injuries or old guys like Anthony Barr who only want vet minimum
here's all the problem with the premature chatter you're missing players that may not even be available there's a lot of franchise tags that are about to happen there's also a lot of negotiations happen with teams with their own players a lot of these guys people keep talking about may never even be available...

So let's have a conversation without using specific names about who you would believe would be great for this team when you don't even know one if they're available 2 how much it would cost to bring them in both with draft capital and free agent money the tag stuff starts this week coming up I believe and then we can start seeing what teams have interest trying to retain their players it's gonna be a long process this offseason to figure out who's actually available and what they're asking price is so Chris Jones name keeps coming up we don't even know if he's gonna be allowed to leave without some crazy tag put it on him and then we have to give like a second and a first are you gonna give a second and a first for a guy and pay him $30 million a year because that's what he's asking for he held out with Kansas City he wants his payday he wants the Aaron Donald treatment..

Let's discuss players we know are actually gonna be free agents until then there's nothing else to be discussed because we don't know their availability or cost

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All depends on the surrounding cast. What good is a Cris Jones if he's getting double and triple teamed every play like Micah.
If he is the finishing piece, then yeah. But, if we have many holes, which we do....I'd go after above average DT, OL and MLB
Yes if you go with the average to above average. And put them next to or between two great or very good players. It makes them better. Therefore making the entire team better that is on the field.

If you have one great player and next to them are average players, as you said, what good does it do you if he is constantly double or tripled team. So those average or below average players can't do any anything.

Some, many fans get caught up into ending that big name player all the time.
It is not that hard of a concept to follow with having multiple above average players, and along with the right coaches and schemes.

Rayman70

Reaction score
For those that wanna say we have a starting linebacker in Overshown, I say to you....really? You gonna count on essentially a rookie coming off a major injury to pay huge dividends? lol. What are we doin here fellas? Why are we experimenting and fiddle fartng around like this? what for? Can we PLEASE just draft good hardnosed football players, no matter position?

fivetwos

Reaction score
If you’re saying that those three players will actually be “above average,” I’d go with that.

The problem is they won’t be. We are talking overpaid Carlos Watkins types because they think they can talk things into existence, and that players will play well because they are paid well.

Elite DTs (as one example) are paid big money. Everyone else isn’t. They want to take someone from the meh group and pay them in the 7-8m range and figure it’s solved.

Watch and see if that isn’t exactly what happens.

They are so lost it’s a joke. I’m trying to figure out how to give up but I’ve got plenty to say on the way out.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
While I agree completely that big money FA signings seldom live up to the deal, there are a pile of FA's who are great players. Problem is, aside from a very few exceptions, it takes a player a while to learn the new scheme as well as learning how to play w/ the players around him. I am mostly against throwing huge money at FA's.

Arguing about who is good or great is irrelevant to this convo.
It's not irrelevant though lol. The original topic was would you have one star or 3 above average free agents?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If you’re saying that those three players will actually be “above average,” I’d go with that.

The problem is they won’t be. We are talking overpaid Carlos Watkins types because they think they can talk things into existence, and that players will play well because they are paid well.

Elite DTs (as one example) are paid big money. Everyone else isn’t. They want to take someone from the meh group and pay them in the 7-8m range and figure it’s solved.

They are so lost it’s a joke. I’m trying to figure out how to give up but I’ve got plenty to say on the way out.
Carlos Watkins ain't a "above average" free agent lol.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Lets go get us a premier linebacker, draft 2, sign some undrafted guys, and lets rock&roll. Let them all compete in camp. Thats how you can quickly retool the linebacker room in 1 offseason.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Its a moot point with our salary cap. We'd be lucky to even get one or two slightly above average players.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score

There in lies the problem. Cyclically, we’ve put ourselves in a position where it could be financially irresponsible, or not possible, to obtain higher priced talent.

My biggest issue with the Jones's has always been the financial 8-ball they’ve positioned themselves behind, and you’d think the negotiating table is where the Cowboys could excel.

Don’t hold your breath for a paradigm shift as the Jones's have initiated the running of their off-season playbook. Here we go again!