Which is better? One great FA or three above average FAs?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I would take one great impact player over three above average players and wouldn’t even have to think about it. One great player can put you over the top and we’ve seen it. Although he wasn’t a free agent the Cowboys traded for Charles Haley in 1992 and he made the difference. San Francisco signed Deion Sanders as a free agent and he put them over the top. He did the same thing for the Cowboys in 95 when they added him.

slick325

Reaction score
When it comes to signing free agents, I believe one great player is better than three above average players. Great players usually make great plays when it matters most. The HOF is full of great players who shined the brightest when the lights were brightest and the stakes were highest. Cowboys playoff history (30 or more years ago anyway) is full of great players making great plays in the playoffs.

As free agency looms ahead, and if we are truly a team that is “all in” (I know this FO is not but just for argument sake let’s pretend they were all in) I believe signing one or two top talent FAs is way more important than getting a bunch of “affordable” JAGs. We need a “no guts, no glory” or “nothing risked means nothing gained” approach this off-season. Why not?

In short, wouldn’t we rather have one Chris Jones than three above average guys? (Yes, I know Chris Jones won’t be here next year) Because “all in” should mean we are swinging for home runs not bunting. Right?
I'm with you, Bullet.

If they believe the team is super talented and should be close to being a contender, a few average players won't get you to the promised land. But, another great player gives you a better chance.

But, hey, Jerry Jones already has 3 SBs and a HOF jacket. He needs nothing more for his legacy. So there is no fire under his pants to change methods. He can't be fired by the owner. His son won't be fired by the owner. Accountability is non-existent for the culture setters.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When it comes to signing free agents, I believe one great player is better than three above average players. Great players usually make great plays when it matters most. The HOF is full of great players who shined the brightest when the lights were brightest and the stakes were highest. Cowboys playoff history (30 or more years ago anyway) is full of great players making great plays in the playoffs.

As free agency looms ahead, and if we are truly a team that is “all in” (I know this FO is not but just for argument sake let’s pretend they were all in) I believe signing one or two top talent FAs is way more important than getting a bunch of “affordable” JAGs. We need a “no guts, no glory” or “nothing risked means nothing gained” approach this off-season. Why not?

In short, wouldn’t we rather have one Chris Jones than three above average guys? (Yes, I know Chris Jones won’t be here next year) Because “all in” should mean we are swinging for home runs not bunting. Right?
Team don't get extra credit for the number of HoF players on the roster.

Dan Marino...

The answer depends on the make-up of the existing roster.

McCarty's SB winning roster in GB is best know for their incredible depth.

jrumann59

Reaction score
the question is, is there a 100% or even 90% proven game changer worthy of top tier money

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Patriots signed DT Lawrenc Guy in 2017. He gen started on 2 SB winning teams in the first 3 seasons with the team.

In 7 years with the Pats, he made a total of 26M (3.7M average).

Look at the 92 Cowboys roster.

Haley was the primary star player acquired from another team.

1942willys

Reaction score
The Patriots signed DT Lawrenc Guy in 2017. He gen started on 2 SB winning teams in the first 3 seasons with the team.

In 7 years with the Pats, he made a total of 26M (3.7M average).

Look at the 92 Cowboys roster.

Haley was the primary star player acquired from another team.
Pats were not afraid to sign some big FA's early on like Moss. But they did seem to stop doing it in the later years.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's possible to be deep at every position. I can live with what we had behind our starting RB...starting RB was more the problem than his backups IMO. Same goes to DT. But I agree mostly.
It is very hard to fill every gap that is true.
RB I disagree on because you knew the starter was coming off injury and you lacked any short yardage guy.
That was pretty easy to see being an issue.
All after the HC spent all off-season saying he took over play calling because he wanted to run it more.
Took 5 RB on the roster but 3 were Undrafted guys with no actual production. 1 was coming off major injury and 1 was a very small late draft pick.
RB isn't that expensive.

The lack of depth at DT/LB was bad and fed off each other.
They planned to regularly play 4 DL under 285 pounds and 2 LB under 230 much of the season,.
That's egregious.
That is both lacking depth and the softness of the scheme.
In some sense of fairness when they did try bigger backers; they couldn't get PT in the scheme.

But the OP here is asking whether signing 3 average FA is better than 1 stud.
For Dallas they need 3 average guys badly.
They've got plenty of guys making Pro Bowls.

cristglo

Reaction score
Because of the needs still left on this team I’m going for the three above avg players. I never thought that we would go out and get the Chris Jones type player and if we were just one player away and needed a defensive tackle then yeah let’s go all in but we’re not
We have a good core of players but lack at DT and LB on defense I believe the Jones will get that in FA
The question I asked is What’s an above avg player in Jerry’s mind
i’ve heard Jerry Stephen will McClay all say we need to stop the run and we need to be able to run the ball. Well you don’t do that, buy just bring back the same people that you had last year a.k.a. Biadiaz Pollard Gallup etc… We’re already down two OL limited draft picks and Who knows what they are going to do with Dak
Jerry is living on borrowed time and if he thinks that he can get him another Super Bowl doing it this way he’s sadly mistaken

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The more guys who can make a play the better you are.