--- Which method do you prefer for thread titles? ---

What do you want the thread title links to do?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Currently, the site takes you to the first unread post in a thread (if there are any) when you click on the thread title. I modified it so the date underneath it does the same thing. I know that some users suggested putting up a page 1 option, but that would only show on multi-page threads and would not work for single page threads.

So, my question is, what do you want the thread title links to do? Do you want them to take you to the first unread post? Or do you want them to take you to the first post on the first page of the thread?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same here, I don't understand why you wouldn't wanna see what the thread is about. And you really love the Powells, eh?

Well, if you've never read the thread, it should take you to the first post in the thread no matter when you actually click on it. It could be days, but if you've never opened the thread, it'll go to the first post whenever you open it. At least that's my understanding of how the site currently works.

However, if you click on it for any reason, close the thread, and then go back to it later, it'll take you to the first unread post, regardless of whether you actually read the posts up to that point.

FiveRings

Reaction score
Well, if you've never read the thread, it should take you to the first post in the thread no matter when you actually click on it. It could be days, but if you've never opened the thread, it'll go to the first post whenever you open it. At least that's my understanding of how the site currently works.

However, if you click on it for any reason, close the thread, and then go back to it later, it'll take you to the first unread post, regardless of whether you actually read the posts up to that point.

Oh if that's the case then I'm in favor of that, but how do unread posts work? Like whats tbe criteria for that?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I plan to come up with an alternative for the users who prefer the non-popular option.
Its not really a big deal, but I often forget the context of even my own posts, so I like to skim threads usually.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh if that's the case then I'm in favor of that, but how do unread posts work? Like whats tbe criteria for that?

When you read a thread, all posts from the last one shown on whatever page you are on back to the first post are marked read.

So for example. Let's say a new thread was posted since you last visited the site. It has 2 pages of posts though only 10 posts are on the second page. You read the first page. It is now marked all posts on the first page as read while the 10 on the second page are marked unread still. Then you read the second page and the site marks those remaining 10 posts as read. You leave the site and return later. You see the same thread which now has 5 pages of posts. You click the thread title and it takes you to the 11th post on the second page which is the first unread post since the last time you read that thread.

/reality

FiveRings

Reaction score
When you read a thread, all posts from the last one shown on whatever page you are on back to the first post are marked read.

So for example. Let's say a new thread was posted since you last visited the site. It has 2 pages of posts though only 10 posts are on the second page. You read the first page. It is now marked all posts on the first page as read while the 10 on the second page are marked unread still. Then you read the second page and the site marks those remaining 10 posts as read. You leave the site and return later. You see the same thread which now has 5 pages of posts. You click the thread title and it takes you to the 11th post on the second page which is the first unread post since the last time you read that thread.

/reality

Very well put, thanks Reality

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I personally prefer to start with the first post, so I can see what has already been said.

Iago33

Reaction score
I personally prefer to start with the first post, so I can see what has already been said.

Did you read the description of the feature Reality posted? You start with the first unread post. Why would you need to see what you've previously read?

TOYSTER17

Pimpstocious and Pimpalicious
Reaction score
I don't think some people are actually understanding what they're voting for.

Voting for the first unread post option doesn't mean you won't go to the first post if you've never entered the thread before because it will. Next time you enter the thread to see what else has been posted, it will take you to the spot where you left off. Think of it as bookmarking a page when you're done reading a book for the moment and want to pick up where you left off later.

Fredd

Reaction score
I want to see the first post...it is simple to go to where you want anyway...

The Natural

Reaction score
Misread and accidentally voted for the first option. If you want to see the first unread post why dont you just click the last page instead of clicking the thread title?

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Did you read the description of the feature Reality posted? You start with the first unread post. Why would you need to see what you've previously read?

When I open a thread it defaults to the first unread post, not OP.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind the title taking you to the first unread if the date under the title would take you to the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.